mel

Default what gifts are you making?

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

RKG

mel wrote:
Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Jewelry boxes in walnut for the wife and smaller ones for two
granddaughters. Oak spice racks for daughter and daughter in law. A
couple coaster sets using maple and walnut for brothers in law. Two
small boxes 8x9x3 for wallets, keys etc for son in law and son. Haven't
figured out what to make for my 14 year old grandson or 2 year old
granddaughter yet.

Rick
Tim Douglass

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:03:41 GMT, "mel"
wrote:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Nothing new - I'm just planning to finish one I "gave" 3 years ago as
a bundle of boards.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
jo4hn

mel wrote:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Lotsa toys for grandkids 3 and under. Plus a collapsible clothes rack
for a SIL. Great fun.
mahalo,
jo4hn
firstjois

RKG wrote:
mel wrote:
Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend
to give as gifts this holiday season.

Jewelry boxes in walnut for the wife and smaller ones for two
granddaughters. Oak spice racks for daughter and daughter in law. A
couple coaster sets using maple and walnut for brothers in law. Two
small boxes 8x9x3 for wallets, keys etc for son in law and son.
Haven't figured out what to make for my 14 year old grandson or 2
year old granddaughter yet.

Rick

My great uncle made me a pint sized cherry rolling pin, all one piece
neatly turned on a lathe. Every kid who sees it wants to include it in
their games, use it with playdough, cookie dough!

Don't know about the 14 year old grandson!

Josie

firstjois

mel wrote:
Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend
to give as gifts this holiday season.

Yikes! There is a holiday season coming up?

I'm thinking about framed shadow boxes for everyone (!) just different
sizes and colors.

Josie

Paul O.

"mel" wrote in message
m...
Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Have 6 jewerly boxes to make. Working on four now, one is Cherry, another
is Purple Heart, the 3d is white oak, and the fourth is mahogany. Need to
find some different 1/2" thick wood for the other two. Hmmm, wonder what a
Baltic Birch ply would look like, just bought some of Rockler's small
sheets last weekend for $2.50 a piece.

--
Paul O.

Thomas Wojeck

I'm making a doll cradle for my 3 year old daughter and 6 year old niece, as
well as assorted pen sets.
"mel" wrote in message
m...
Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Prometheus

wrote:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Couple of chess boards (red cedar and bird's eye maple with walnut
frames) though I think I'm going to buy the chessmen, My own set is
taking a while to carve! Two or three jewelry boxes (dovetailed
walnut w/ bird's eye maple tops) and some toys for my niece (1 yr old)
and nephew (3 yrs old) I'm thinking about a set of maple alphabet
blocks and a pull-along or two for them.

Rolling Thunder

Pastry boards for the chefs in the family.

wrote:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

mark

Jewelry boxes in walnut for the wife and smaller ones for two
granddaughters. Oak spice racks for daughter and daughter in law. A
couple coaster sets using maple and walnut for brothers in law. Two small
boxes 8x9x3 for wallets, keys etc for son in law and son. Haven't figured
out what to make for my 14 year old grandson or 2 year old granddaughter
yet.

Rick

Here's a suggestion for the two year old -- a climbing bear. Really, really
easy and quick to do, and my nephew loved it. He was 3, but....

mark

Have 6 jewerly boxes to make. Working on four now, one is Cherry, another
is Purple Heart, the 3d is white oak, and the fourth is mahogany. Need to
find some different 1/2" thick wood for the other two. Hmmm, wonder what a
Baltic Birch ply would look like, just bought some of Rockler's small
sheets last weekend for $2.50 a piece.

--
Paul O.

Do you jewelry box makers have all those cool miniature table saws and what
not? I tried to make a few boxes, but my 12" chop saw didn't have the
accuracy, even with a really good fine cut blade in it.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:53:14 GMT, "mark" wrote:

Do you jewelry box makers have all those cool miniature table saws and what
not?

Nope, I've got a cool enormous cast-iron table saw. Much more stable
and accurate than the little aluminium one I had before.

Little is easy. It's accuracy that's the tricky bit.
--
Smert' spamionam
Ron

Sounds like I'm not the only one. I'm going to give my 8yo daughter
some rough maple for x-mas. The plan is that we'll work together and
make her a desk. I suspect I'll do most of the work when she's not
around but not tell her that way she can be proud of what we made
together.

wrote:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Nothing new - I'm just planning to finish one I "gave" 3 years ago as
a bundle of boards.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:03:41 GMT, "mel"
scribbled:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Doug Stowe's most complicated jewellery box (5 drawers, opening top &
sides), over 100 bits of wood total. Started last November, missed the
Xmas deadline as well as the February birthday one. So now, I have to
get back to it.

The LOML complained that she has been with this wooddorker for
eighteen years and she still uses cardboard boxes (OK, a frayed
reptilian leather-covered one), baskets & other crap to keep her
jewellery. So I got Doug's books from his website & asked her to pick.
She, of course, picked the most complicated one.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
patriarch

Luigi Zanasi wrote in
news
The LOML complained that she has been with this wooddorker for
eighteen years and she still uses cardboard boxes (OK, a frayed
reptilian leather-covered one), baskets & other crap to keep her
jewellery. So I got Doug's books from his website & asked her to pick.
She, of course, picked the most complicated one.

And if you don't get it done this season, she may order a jewelry catalog!

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:50:48 -0700, Luigi Zanasi
calmly ranted:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:03:41 GMT, "mel"
scribbled:

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give
as gifts this holiday season.

Doug Stowe's most complicated jewellery box (5 drawers, opening top &
sides), over 100 bits of wood total. Started last November, missed the
Xmas deadline as well as the February birthday one. So now, I have to
get back to it.

The LOML complained that she has been with this wooddorker for
eighteen years and she still uses cardboard boxes (OK, a frayed
reptilian leather-covered one), baskets & other crap to keep her
jewellery. So I got Doug's books from his website & asked her to pick.
She, of course, picked the most complicated one.

"WeeGee be foo." he ebonicked, with glee.

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Prometheus

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:53:14 GMT, "mark" wrote:

Have 6 jewerly boxes to make. Working on four now, one is Cherry, another
is Purple Heart, the 3d is white oak, and the fourth is mahogany. Need to
find some different 1/2" thick wood for the other two. Hmmm, wonder what a
Baltic Birch ply would look like, just bought some of Rockler's small
sheets last weekend for $2.50 a piece.

--
Paul O.

Do you jewelry box makers have all those cool miniature table saws and what
not? I tried to make a few boxes, but my 12" chop saw didn't have the
accuracy, even with a really good fine cut blade in it.

I have a Delta 10" Benchtop (about $99 around here), it works really
nice for small stuff, but it's a PITA for bigger things. Just make
sure that the fence is square every time you move it.

Robert Galloway

Have an old Jet 10" contractor's saw with Forrest blade. Works great
for small stuff and moderate size stuff. I could stand a heavy cabinet
saw for really large stuff but I don't do all that much large stuff. I
fail to see where I'd be a whole lot happier with a smaller machine for
jewelry boxes. I don't have a chop saw so can't compare. I do have a
RAS but usually use the table saw.

bob g.

Prometheus wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:53:14 GMT, "mark" wrote:

Have 6 jewerly boxes to make. Working on four now, one is Cherry, another
is Purple Heart, the 3d is white oak, and the fourth is mahogany. Need to
find some different 1/2" thick wood for the other two. Hmmm, wonder what a
Baltic Birch ply would look like, just bought some of Rockler's small
sheets last weekend for $2.50 a piece.

--
Paul O.

Do you jewelry box makers have all those cool miniature table saws and what
not? I tried to make a few boxes, but my 12" chop saw didn't have the
accuracy, even with a really good fine cut blade in it.

I have a Delta 10" Benchtop (about $99 around here), it works really
nice for small stuff, but it's a PITA for bigger things. Just make
sure that the fence is square every time you move it.

Prometheus

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:45:41 -0500, Robert Galloway
wrote:

Have an old Jet 10" contractor's saw with Forrest blade. Works great
for small stuff and moderate size stuff. I could stand a heavy cabinet
saw for really large stuff but I don't do all that much large stuff. I
fail to see where I'd be a whole lot happier with a smaller machine for
jewelry boxes. I don't have a chop saw so can't compare. I do have a
RAS but usually use the table saw.

I've got a chop saw (read miter saw) and I've found it to be almost as
accurate as a table saw, but less versitile. I generally lay my rule
on the wood, and bring the saw down to line up my cut [with my fingers
far away from the trigger] You have to get your head right down
there, though. Trying to line up the edge of the kerf with the ruler
mark from 2 or 3 feet away is often going to be inaccurate.

This could be a function of the fact that I have a simple miter saw,
so there are less parts to slop around. I looked at the CMS, but it
seemed like only a marginally more useful tool, since the only thing I
would think to use that secondary angle adust for would be crown
molding, but I rarely cut that anyhow.

bob g.