Ed

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:25:25 GMT, "Leon"

wrote:

Glad to hear that you were not hurt too badly Steve. If you have not

yet,
it may be a good idea to fill out a police report just in case.

the cop showed up. but I don't think he did anything. the ambulance took

the
report.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Glad to hear you're OK, Steve. You really should get the file number from
your local police, though. Just keep it filed away in case you need it
later. Even if the officer didn't complete a report, there should be a
"complaint" recorded. We refer to this as a "CAD" here, which means
"Computer Aided Dispatch".

Good luck,

Ed

Steve Knight

I was once waiting in a line of cars at a light (about 4th in line), and some bozo
didn't stop and hit me from behind. Pushed my bike (a 3-speed schwinn :-)
onto the trunk of the car in front of me, and left me standing with about
12 inches between the two bumpers. Shook for a week. He did buy me a new
Schwinn World Sport (1981 or thereabouts).

that would be pretty bad indeed.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

Glad you're OK. Helmets are great things. Almost 20 years ago I did a
one point landing from my mountain bike off a jump. Dropped about 8
feet vertically onto my forehead. Destroyed the helmet and shortened
my neck/spine by and inch and a half. Without the helmet there is
little chance I would have survived.

hell that's nothing I fell about that far when I was about 5 off a slide onto my
head. then wandered around and got hit by a car I guess (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
philski

Steve Knight wrote:
Well today was fun. I had forgotten my wallet and had to go get it so I could go
to the post office today. The weather was sprinkling but the roads were wet.
Here I am going about 15 as the road starts to slope up. The bike lane is one
lane out and not against right curb so I was in it. A lady in a SUV pulled out
in front of me. I put on full brakes but I could not stop so I went to the left
to go around her. I think I was close to stopping and she was too I think. But
it she still hit me in the side. Man I did a face plant but my helmet sure saved
me. I saw the road real close but only my chin got a whack my head bounced off
the payment. Well the helmet did. I was thinking why did my face not get hurt?
Then I finally figured it out my helmet hit not my face.

Lots of witnesses and I was in the right. The lady that did it was really nice
and even brought me home. I thought I might need the ambulance that arrived but
once my leg was not numb I could feel it was not broken just bruised up a lot.
So she brought me home gave me 100.00 to get a helmet and will fix the bike.
Sure glad the frame is a good steel frame.
I do admit I forgot to turn on my front flasher. It is a xenon flasher so it
would have been visible. I don’t usually ride that time of day and I was in a
hurry and forgot. But it sounds like she saw me and her food slipped off the
brake pedal. (She admits she was at fault) so it may not have made a difference.

well this was yesterday. I am not as sore as I thought I would be more sore. my
leg was not as sore as I thought it would be. knee feels a bit funny but I could
walk just fine. my shoulders are what hurt. I never hit them (I landed face
down) but I think trying to stop myself stressed them. every time I sit for a
hour or so they kill me when I move (G)
I took my bike into my favorite mechanic. I will get the results Monday. I know
the forts are toast as they were spread apart a fair amount. the front detailer
is toast and maybe the cranks.

Damn Steve...

I am glad you are OK and well. Cars almost always win those
confrontations. I have had them run my little butt off the road a few
times and ran into a door as it was opened.

I am glad that you were wearing your helmet too. They are kinda goofy
and definitely not the macho thing to wear but they will save yer noggin'!

Philski
J. Clarke

philski wrote:

Steve Knight wrote:
[...]

Doors can be bad news. Was coming out of class at Georgia Tech one day and
there's this woman stopped in the middle of the road outside the building.
She opens her door and about that time some guy on a Harley comes around
the corner way too fast and lands himself in traction after he hits the
door. I was surprised that she wasn't injured--I would have expected that
much bike to slam the door into her pretty hard.

I am glad that you were wearing your helmet too. They are kinda goofy
and definitely not the macho thing to wear but they will save yer noggin'!

Philski

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Steve Knight

I am glad you are OK and well. Cars almost always win those
confrontations. I have had them run my little butt off the road a few
times and ran into a door as it was opened.

I am glad that you were wearing your helmet too. They are kinda goofy
and definitely not the macho thing to wear but they will save yer noggin'!

goofy but good. now I hope to find how bad my bike is off today. I see about
600.00 in damage so far.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
RonB

Of all of the things our kids have done right, making our grandchildren wear
helmets before they can mount a bike is close to the top of the list.
Thankfully I have never had to replace a helmet because of impact but I
still expect it to happen someday.

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:25:21 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

Glad you're OK. Helmets are great things. Almost 20 years ago I did a
one point landing from my mountain bike off a jump. Dropped about 8
feet vertically onto my forehead. Destroyed the helmet and shortened
my neck/spine by and inch and a half. Without the helmet there is
little chance I would have survived.

hell that's nothing I fell about that far when I was about 5 off a slide onto my
head. then wandered around and got hit by a car I guess (G)

We won't talk about my getting dropped on my head as a child, OK?

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Steve Knight

well I got the bill to get my bike back to the level it was. it only needs a few
fork. but to get it to the level it was is about 740.00 and another 169.00 for
my glasses. I contacted the lady who hit me. she is really nice and has worried
about me. she can't afford that much out of pocket. she contacted her insurance
company.
well after talking to my bike mechanic he says I has hardly ever seen a
insurance company pay for a bicycle accident. even if the person was hurt it is
a big battle. so any idea's?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Dave Balderstone

In article , Steve Knight
wrote:

well after talking to my bike mechanic he says I has hardly ever seen a
insurance company pay for a bicycle accident. even if the person was hurt it
is
a big battle. so any idea's?

If her insurer won't pay, take her to small claims court.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
WoodMangler wrote:
Steve Knight did say:
well this was yesterday. I am not as sore as I thought I would be more

sore. my
leg was not as sore as I thought it would be. knee feels a bit funny

but I could
walk just fine. my shoulders are what hurt. I never hit them (I landed face
down) but I think trying to stop myself stressed them. every time I sit for a
hour or so they kill me when I move (G)
I took my bike into my favorite mechanic. I will get the results

Monday. I know
the forts are toast as they were spread apart a fair amount. the front

detailer
is toast and maybe the cranks.

Glad you're OK Steve. As for the shoulder pain, after having hit head
first, you may very well have a bit of a neck injury. Might be smart to
visit your doc and get him to look at it. At the least, take it very easy
on your neck for a little while.
Cycling in traffic AND making your living with woodworking tools... Hope
you've got at least one safe activity in your life. I've tasted the
fenders of a couple of trucks myself, as well as my share of asphalt.
As all of us cyclists know, it's the inattentive four wheel
operators that are the real danger out there. We're far more vulnerable
than those wrapped in steel and airbags.

Preach Mode
For those of you who don't ride, next time you see a motorcycle or bicycle
on the road, take a moment to notice how people in cars get MUCH closer to
them than they would to another car. They should really give two wheelers
more room than normal for safety's sake.
I guess people don't feel threatened by the smaller vehicle, and feel safe
themselves. Give us a little more room, please.
/Preach Mode

Way back when, I had a touring bike, with the _big_ baskets on it. As I
lived at the very outskirts of town, and sometimes rode the rural roads
after dark, I had a _full_size_ "slow moving vehicle" reflective emblem
across the back of the baskets. I guarantee you I was 'highly visible'
from behind. Night -or- day. grin

One day, I'm riding *in* town, make a left turn at the tail end of the
light onto a 4-lane road, into an extended up-hill section. Of course,
as soon as I've made the turn, I move to curb-side, and here comes the
straight traffic, as the light has changed. First up in the outside lane
(where I am now) is a semi, with trailer. He just _sat_ there, about
30' (seemed closer!) behind me, for almost 3 blocks -- until he could
swing _completely_ into the center lane to pass me.

That was the _first_ time anybody gave me a 'full lane' while I was on a
bicycle. Somewhat disconcerting, having that "big rig" close behind me,
for that extended distance, but it was nice that he didn't try to crowd
past.

Mike Marlow

WoodMangler wrote:

Preach Mode
For those of you who don't ride, next time you see a motorcycle or bicycle
on the road, take a moment to notice how people in cars get MUCH closer to
them than they would to another car. They should really give two wheelers
more room than normal for safety's sake.
I guess people don't feel threatened by the smaller vehicle, and feel safe
themselves. Give us a little more room, please.
/Preach Mode

Your request is perfectly reasonable and in fact I make it a practice to
observe this. On the other side of the coin is a driver's request of
cyclists to exhibit the same degree of caution and concern. Don't ride
right on the white line when there is 8 feet of paved shoulder. Don't look
back under your arm while you're riding and have your bike veer out into the
traffic lane. Remember that you're much slower than traffic and extend the
courtesy of freeing up the traffic lane. Don't ride two abreast right on
the very edge of the driving lane. Please do remember that you're taunting
a one and a half ton vehicle and it's not worth the price simply to
demonstrate some point.

Since I'm not a bike rider, my perspective is probably different than
yours - mine is exclusively that of a driver. From my perspective, I see
more cyclists that taunt drivers by insisting on a piece of the road that
they really don't need when there is a perfectly good paved shoulder, and I
see more cyclists doing things that put them in the path of a car than I do
drivers who don't give room to cyclists.

Both can coexist on the roads but both have to yield a little courtesy to
the other.
--

-Mike-

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:
well I got the bill to get my bike back to the level it was. it only needs a few
fork. but to get it to the level it was is about 740.00 and another 169.00 for
my glasses.

Don't forget the replacement helmet. And any clothes that got torn as a result
of the rough landing.

I contacted the lady who hit me. she is really nice and has worried
about me. she can't afford that much out of pocket. she contacted her insurance
company.
well after talking to my bike mechanic he says I has hardly ever seen a
insurance company pay for a bicycle accident. even if the person was hurt it is
a big battle. so any idea's?

Short answer: The insurance company issue is not _your_ problem. Either her
insurance pays, or she does. Which one is between _her_ and her insurance.

Either you get what it takes to 'make you whole' (everything as it was _before_
the accident), or you go to court. For _just_ the 'property damage', it is
well within the limits of "small claims" -- for which the 'court costs' are
likely something in the range of $20. Maybe another $30-50, if they have
to have the bailiff actually deliver the summons in person. You include those
costs in addition to the 'actual' damages, in figuring out how much you file
the suit for. It is an open-and-shut case, particularly if she admitted
liability in the presence of the police officer, or *any* other witness at
the scene.

Seriously, the insurance company should _jump_ at the chance to settle for
the 'property damage' costs *only*. 'Total liability' includes the value
of the time you were off work (I think that's 1-1/2 days -- rest of the day
of the accident, plus the next day -- figured on a "gross revenue", not 'net
profit" basis), plus 'something' for the "aches and pains" that persisted
past that point, _plus_ rental of a replacement bicycle until repairs on
yours are completed (or, alternatively an amount for 'loss of use' of your
'vehicle', until repairs are complete -- industry standard value for
loss-of-use was $15/day in 1975, inflation has to have pushed that to at
least $25/day now.)

By the time you get done adding up all these "incidentals", the grand total
is easily double (to close to triple) the figures you've mentioned. Before
accounting for the 'intangibles' -- aches/pains/etc.

BruceR

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

well I got the bill to get my bike back to the level it was. it only needs a few
fork. but to get it to the level it was is about 740.00 and another 169.00 for
my glasses.

Don't forget the replacement helmet. And any clothes that got torn as a result
of the rough landing.

I contacted the lady who hit me. she is really nice and has worried
about me. she can't afford that much out of pocket. she contacted her insurance
company.
well after talking to my bike mechanic he says I has hardly ever seen a
insurance company pay for a bicycle accident. even if the person was hurt it is
a big battle. so any idea's?

I was t-boned by a car in '85 which basically trashed the bike. The
drivers insurance eagerly paid for a replacement bike, medical expenses,
and a small amount for P&S.

-Bruce

Steve Knight wrote:

So she brought me home gave me 100.00 to get a helmet and will fix the bike.
Sure glad the frame is a good steel frame.

Glad you made it okay. Replace the helmet, it did it's job and is a
consumable item.

Wes

Trek 8700/Trek 1100
PB 251 miles in 24hrs

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.
Steve Knight

Glad you made it okay. Replace the helmet, it did it's job and is a
consumable item.

first thing I did. hell it's toast anyway it is cracked right down the middle.
hey think the 2500 I got in the settlement will cover it? (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
patriarch

Steve Knight wrote in
:

Glad you made it okay. Replace the helmet, it did it's job and is a
consumable item.

first thing I did. hell it's toast anyway it is cracked right down the
middle.
hey think the 2500 I got in the settlement will cover it? (G)

Depends on how you feel two years from now...

But we're glad you're feeling better now. Keep your wits about you.

Patriarch

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:48:18 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

Steve Knight wrote in
:

Glad you made it okay. Replace the helmet, it did it's job and is a
consumable item.

first thing I did. hell it's toast anyway it is cracked right down the
middle.
hey think the 2500 I got in the settlement will cover it? (G)

Depends on how you feel two years from now...

Ain't that the truth. I'm still suffering from the aftereffects of
having my car rear-ended 10 years ago. Kind of wish I hadn't taken the
money and closed the case.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Steve Knight

Depends on how you feel two years from now...

But we're glad you're feeling better now. Keep your wits about you.

yes (G) it's getting better so I am not too worried.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

Ain't that the truth. I'm still suffering from the aftereffects of
having my car rear-ended 10 years ago. Kind of wish I hadn't taken the
money and closed the case.

looks like I need to see the doc. my knee has gotten worse. something is popping
on the side. still not a huge amount of pain but still I better get in before I
sign anything.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
patriarch

Steve Knight wrote in
news

Ain't that the truth. I'm still suffering from the aftereffects of
having my car rear-ended 10 years ago. Kind of wish I hadn't taken the
money and closed the case.

looks like I need to see the doc. my knee has gotten worse. something
is popping on the side. still not a huge amount of pain but still I
better get in before I sign anything.

You should go see the doc, but my knee does that, and I haven't been on a
bicycle in ten years. ;-)

My doc says it's caused by middle age.

Seriously. Go talk to your own insurance professional. You may want to
consider settling on the bicycle damages, and leaving the medical portion,
the piece that's much more difficult to fix, open to see how things heal.
The only one who really needs to close the file quickly is the adjuster for
the company whose insured ran into you.

Bicycles and cars are just replaceable things. If your mobility or stamina
is affected, your business and family's livelihood is impacted, and $2500
is a drop in the bucket.

Patriarch
Tim Douglass

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:01:03 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

Seriously. Go talk to your own insurance professional. You may want to
consider settling on the bicycle damages, and leaving the medical portion,
the piece that's much more difficult to fix, open to see how things heal.
The only one who really needs to close the file quickly is the adjuster for
the company whose insured ran into you.

Exactly the advice I would give you (not having followed it myself).
The aftereffects of an accident can take months or years to show up.
Make sure your doctor understands *every time* you see him/her that
this complaint is related to the accident - and make sure they put
that in the chart.

Here's hoping that it all heals up and is fine by the end of the week.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Steve Knight

Seriously. Go talk to your own insurance professional. You may want to
consider settling on the bicycle damages, and leaving the medical portion,
the piece that's much more difficult to fix, open to see how things heal.
The only one who really needs to close the file quickly is the adjuster for
the company whose insured ran into you.

the silly thing only hurts when I kneel. today it feels good (G) but I will go
get it checked out today.

Bicycles and cars are just replaceable things. If your mobility or stamina
is affected, your business and family's livelihood is impacted, and $2500
is a drop in the bucket.

but money won't fix anything. it causes it's own problems. business is slow
right now so it has not really effected much. and the weird thing is I can walk
just fine. but sometimes with pain.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

Here's hoping that it all heals up and is fine by the end of the week.

I worked all day on it today with little pain. kneeling makes it ache. the sore
spot is right where I got hit by the car.
the whole time it has hardly been bad enough to need Tylenol. except at night
where laying on it made it irritating to sleep.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes