Robert Bonomi

In article ,
WoodMangler wrote:
Steve Knight did say:
well this was yesterday. I am not as sore as I thought I would be more

sore. my
leg was not as sore as I thought it would be. knee feels a bit funny

but I could
walk just fine. my shoulders are what hurt. I never hit them (I landed face
down) but I think trying to stop myself stressed them. every time I sit for a
hour or so they kill me when I move (G)
I took my bike into my favorite mechanic. I will get the results

Monday. I know
the forts are toast as they were spread apart a fair amount. the front

detailer
is toast and maybe the cranks.

Glad you're OK Steve. As for the shoulder pain, after having hit head
first, you may very well have a bit of a neck injury. Might be smart to
visit your doc and get him to look at it. At the least, take it very easy
on your neck for a little while.
Cycling in traffic AND making your living with woodworking tools... Hope
you've got at least one safe activity in your life. I've tasted the
fenders of a couple of trucks myself, as well as my share of asphalt.
As all of us cyclists know, it's the inattentive four wheel
operators that are the real danger out there. We're far more vulnerable
than those wrapped in steel and airbags.

Preach Mode
For those of you who don't ride, next time you see a motorcycle or bicycle
on the road, take a moment to notice how people in cars get MUCH closer to
them than they would to another car. They should really give two wheelers
more room than normal for safety's sake.
I guess people don't feel threatened by the smaller vehicle, and feel safe
themselves. Give us a little more room, please.
/Preach Mode

Way back when, I had a touring bike, with the _big_ baskets on it. As I
lived at the very outskirts of town, and sometimes rode the rural roads
after dark, I had a _full_size_ "slow moving vehicle" reflective emblem
across the back of the baskets. I guarantee you I was 'highly visible'
from behind. Night -or- day. grin

One day, I'm riding *in* town, make a left turn at the tail end of the
light onto a 4-lane road, into an extended up-hill section. Of course,
as soon as I've made the turn, I move to curb-side, and here comes the
straight traffic, as the light has changed. First up in the outside lane
(where I am now) is a semi, with trailer. He just _sat_ there, about
30' (seemed closer!) behind me, for almost 3 blocks -- until he could
swing _completely_ into the center lane to pass me.

That was the _first_ time anybody gave me a 'full lane' while I was on a
bicycle. Somewhat disconcerting, having that "big rig" close behind me,
for that extended distance, but it was nice that he didn't try to crowd
past.