Vormulac

Default Table saw?

Hi all,

Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop,
it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting,
but not having a table saw is causing major problems.
Can anyone recommend one for under £200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see
there are a couple of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from
Screwfix for that sort of money.

Any comments and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers!
Joe_Stein

Hi,
I've got the Sears - Craftsman holiday catalog in front of me. They have
3 saws listed in your price range. All are 10". One is a Companion brand
I've only heard about, so no experience with. The other 2 look similar
to mine. I use mine a lot, and I like it, but wish it were bigger &
better. They have one other that costs $230 that has a handle and wheels
so it's more mobile. Sorry, I've not heard of Ferm.
Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!
Joe

Vormulac wrote:
Hi all,

Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop,
it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting,
but not having a table saw is causing major problems.
Can anyone recommend one for under £200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see
there are a couple of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from
Screwfix for that sort of money.

Any comments and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers!

toller

I am pretty sure there is a UK woodworking group.

Old Nick

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:59:52 GMT, Vormulac
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Hi all,

Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop,
it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting,
but not having a table saw is causing major problems.

Can you describe what _sort_ of problems you are having because you do
not have a table saw?

Any comments and advice would be very welcome.

My question is sincere. I will warn you that I often question whether
or not somebody really needs a tablee saw, and whether or not it will
solve their problems.
I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Can anyone recommend one for under £200?

There are two for 200ish (and only two) the Axminster BTS10PP (get
the kit, with the legs and the extension tables) Also the B&Q black
plastic one - not such a good blade, but a slightly better fence.

Also, are Ferm any good?

No. Biscuit jointer is OK, table saws aren't.
--
Smert' spamionam

Badger

toller wrote:
I am pretty sure there is a UK woodworking group.

If you find it let me know!
mac davis

wrote:

Hi all,

Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop,
it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting,
but not having a table saw is causing major problems.
Can anyone recommend one for under £200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see
there are a couple of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from
Screwfix for that sort of money.

Any comments and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers!

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??
Swingman

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about
$US400.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Edwin Pawlowski

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

Last I converted it was $1.794 per pound.

Han

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in newsTT9d.12375$ZW5.923
@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

Last I converted it was $1.794 per pound.

I use this site for exchange rates. You can get historical ones as well:
http://www.x-rates.com/

--
Best regards
Han
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:52:12 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about
$US400.

Or if you're buying the other way, $200 to spend on Lie-Nielsens.
--
Smert' spamionam
Badger

Swingman wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about
$US400.

Try 200 dollars for anything that comes from the US....We suffer from
one-to-one conversion a lot of the time!

Niel.
Swingman

"Badger" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ...

about
$US400.

Try 200 dollars for anything that comes from the US....We suffer from
one-to-one conversion a lot of the time!

Bankers and money changer's are like politicians, you're going to get
screwed no matter which way you go.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Noel Hegan

Badger wrote in message ...
toller wrote:
I am pretty sure there is a UK woodworking group.

If you find it let me know!

The best (and about the only really active one that I know of) is
www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums

Rgds

Noel

mac davis

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about
$US400.

thanks! that opens up a few more options, as a $200 limit wasn't going
to get a whole lotta table saw..

John Emmons

Per XE currency converter, it's closer to $360.00 than it is to $400.00.
You'll probably pay a 1 or 2 percent fee to convert if you pay with a credit
card. Paypal also does currency conversions.

John Emmons

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about
$US400.

thanks! that opens up a few more options, as a $200 limit wasn't going
to get a whole lotta table saw..

Swingman

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar

equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ...

about
$US400.

thanks! that opens up a few more options, as a $200 limit wasn't going
to get a whole lotta table saw..

Per XE currency converter, it's closer to $360.00 than it is to $400.00.
You'll probably pay a 1 or 2 percent fee to convert if you pay with a

credit
card. Paypal also does currency conversions.

Good case of google/internet being misleading to the unwary/non-saavy. If
you believe that all you'll pay is "1 or 2 percent" to convert, there's a
bridge for sale in Brooklyn and some waterfront property in Florida that
could cost you less.

Besides the "exchange fess", there is almost always at least one, variable
rate, transaction fee. Not to mention that credit card companies are some of
the worst offenders, witness one of them having to return 800 million a year
ago for "undisclosed fees" in currency conversion charges for use of their
credit cards overseas.

Simply put, as an individual, you are NOT going to realize the rate that any
currency converter on the Internet says when it comes time to pay the piper
.... guaranteed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Edwin Pawlowski

"Swingman" wrote in message

Simply put, as an individual, you are NOT going to realize the rate that
any
currency converter on the Internet says when it comes time to pay the
piper
... guaranteed.

Perhaps you should try my bank. I often buy from Canada and use my debit
card. Straight up conversion, no transaction fees. Same from the UK. Can't
say for other countries.

Old Nick

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:52:12 -0500, "Swingman" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent
to 200 pounds??

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about
$US400.

But it doesn't mean anything if you are talking about buying a tool in
England, and not importing it direct from the US. Aud$ is worth about
US$.71. But a 10" Jet contractor's saw costs about Aud$1200 IIRC and
even that's a lot better than it was a year or so ago.
Have you noticed that people always run from what
they _need_ toward what they want?????

Andy Jeffries

Vormulac wrote:
Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop,
it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting,
but not having a table saw is causing major problems.
Can anyone recommend one for under £200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see
there are a couple of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from
Screwfix for that sort of money.

Just to let you know that uk.d-i-y has a lot of screwfix customers on
it, so while they may not be as woodworking savvy, they have a lot of
knowledge about Screwfix/Ferm products.

Personally I've got an Axminster CTS10 table saw which was just over a
hundred squid and I think it's great (of course, I went from a £30
"bench saw" with an 8" blade and no height adjustment - so it wasn't
hard to go wrong).

I've had a Ferm cordless drill (the battery fitted in the charger either
way round, of course one way buggered the battery!!!) and a Ferm biscuit
jointer (works fine).

Cheers,

Andy