Jim Swank

Default 3X21 BELT SANDER

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

Remove "nospam" from the email if you want to reply direct.
patrick conroy

"Jim Swank" wrote in message

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus which
make and model is the best deal?

I only own two Ryobi made tools: their oscillating spindle sander and their
BE321 Belt Sander. Both are nice, in my estimation. FWW, IIRC did a recent
review of 3x21 belt sanders. I also own a big PC 4x28 belt sander too. The
Ryobi sees all of the action in my weekend activities.

Fishn2much

I to have the Ryobi and it has always done a good job. For the price it is hard
to beat.
GT
Lobby Dosser

Jim Swank wrote in news:ck1scv
:

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

Remove "nospam" from the email if you want to reply direct.

If you are not doing production work, the Ryobi is very good for the price.
I've had mine for 7 or 8 years and have no complaints.
Lew Hodgett

"Jim Swank" writes:

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

There is only one I have not been able to destroy, the Porter-Cable 50*
series.

I've destroyed at least 6 or 8 units including the low cost Porter Cable
(Henry Homeowner type) crap.

The 50* is a chain drive and totally bullet proof compared to anything else
in the market.

Bring a fat wallet, it is not inexpensive, but you will only buy a belt
sander once.

These days, figure $450 range.

HTH

Lew

BTW, get the graphite pads for it, you won't be sorry.

Prometheus

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:48:42 -0500, Jim Swank
wrote:

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

Remove "nospam" from the email if you want to reply direct.

I don't know about consensus, but I have the Delta 4" belt/6" disc
combo, and it is a basically ok tool. The price was right when I got
it, and the belt sander works really well. I'm not too impressed by
the disc sander, but you can't have everything for $80! Might be
worth looking into. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably
get the same one, since it suits my purposes, though your results may
vary.
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4

"Jim Swank" wrote in message
I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

Remove "nospam" from the email if you want to reply direct.

Why 3X21?? Go with the 3X24 Makita 9924DB, it can also run a 4" belt when
needed, low cost (the Volvo of belt sanders) great value for money, they
have been making it virtually unchanged for years.

--
© Jon Down ®
"You cannot make someone love you.

toller

A couple months ago someone was selling reconditioned Makitas on Ebay. With
a little patience I was able to get one for almost nothing. He might still
be there; worth a look.

A number of people recommended Ryobi. I have not tried it. I am satisfied
with other Ryobi tools I own; but they are equal to Makitas; I doubt the
belt sander is either.

Slowhand

"Jim Swank" wrote in message
I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

I have a Porter Cable belt sander that is about 20 years old if that helps.
SH

Rob Jones

I just purchased Makita's model 9902 from ToolKing (www.toolkingl.com)
for $99.00 - brand new. It's a fixed-speed version of their
variable-speed 9903 (3x21) for about half the price. I'm very happy
with it. I cannot imaging ever needing variable speed on a belt
sander, so for me purchasing the 9903 was over-spending.

Also, FWW magazine recently named the 9903 a "best buy" (or something
like that).

rob

wrote:

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

Remove "nospam" from the email if you want to reply direct.

Rick Cook

Jim Swank wrote:

I'm in need of a decent sander in this size. Is there any consensus
which make and model is the best deal?

Remove "nospam" from the email if you want to reply direct.

Just one piece of advice. Spend the money to get a quality tool. The
larger size multiples potential problems with design, quality, fit, etc.

--RC

mp

Why 3X21?? Go with the 3X24 Makita 9924DB, it can also run a 4" belt when
needed, low cost (the Volvo of belt sanders) great value for money, they
have been making it virtually unchanged for years.

I second this choice. I bought one based on the advice of a cabinet shop
owner who has half a dozen of them that have seen daily use for the last 7
years, with zero problems. Dust collection on the Makita is pretty good for
a belt sander, and it's not as noisy as some other brands.

Bosch 1278VS mini belt sander belt problems Ed Woodworking 5 November 19th 17 03:44 PM
Harbor Freight 3x21" belt sander (short review) Joe Emenaker Woodworking 12 August 8th 04 02:12 PM
Bench Belt Sander? Oregon Woodworking 3 February 13th 04 11:14 PM
REVIEW: PC 352VS 3x21 Belt Sander Jay Pique Woodworking 5 November 25th 03 03:43 AM
Belt sander clogging Ernie Jurick Woodworking 6 November 4th 03 08:45 PM