Oregon

Default Bench Belt Sander?

I'm wanting to buy a good 12" disk bench sander, but I keep seeing the
combination disk / belt sanders. I can't figure out why a bench belt sander
would be of any use, unless I have a specific need to send wood across my
shop at very high velocity. I've already got several tools I use for that
purpose. Before I drop some dough on JUST a disk sander, can anyone
convince me that I need to have a bench belt sander as well? Thanks.
O.

Lawrence A. Ramsey

I use a stationary belt sander constantly and rarely ever use qa disc
sander. The belt is MUCH better for maintaining a straight edge, is
good for quick rounding of corners on pieces and is just much more
useful to me for what I do. Why do you "need" a disc sander so
often???

]
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:25:00 GMT, "Oregon" wrote:

I'm wanting to buy a good 12" disk bench sander, but I keep seeing the
combination disk / belt sanders. I can't figure out why a bench belt sander
would be of any use, unless I have a specific need to send wood across my
shop at very high velocity. I've already got several tools I use for that
purpose. Before I drop some dough on JUST a disk sander, can anyone
convince me that I need to have a bench belt sander as well? Thanks.
O.

Brian Turner

I purshased a Delta 6" combination belt/disc sander at a garage sale.
To be honest with you I use the disc more than the belt. I use the
disc to square up and shorten the ends of miter cut pieces of wood. I
have only used the belt with very course grit paper as a "slicker" to
shorten screws, etc. The sander is almost permantly mounted for use
with the disc.

"Oregon" wrote in message .com...
I'm wanting to buy a good 12" disk bench sander, but I keep seeing the
combination disk / belt sanders. I can't figure out why a bench belt sander
would be of any use, unless I have a specific need to send wood across my
shop at very high velocity. I've already got several tools I use for that
purpose. Before I drop some dough on JUST a disk sander, can anyone
convince me that I need to have a bench belt sander as well? Thanks.
O.

Unisaw A100

Oregon wrote:
I'm wanting to buy a good 12" disk bench sander, but I keep seeing the
combination disk / belt sanders. I can't figure out why a bench belt sander
would be of any use, unless I have a specific need to send wood across my
shop at very high velocity.

You will do this less as your skill level increases. What
scares most humans about belted sanders is the belt wants to
drag the leading edge down and take off more material. Once
you've mastered the technique you won't look back.

I've already got several tools I use for that purpose.

Yahbut they aren't as fast at removing stock. It's like
comparing a hand held circular saw to a table saw, any table
saw.

Before I drop some dough on JUST a disk sander, can anyone
convince me that I need to have a bench belt sander as well?

I personally think the belt/disk machines are a compromise.
Look at the disk speed of a stand alone and the fpm of a
stand alone belt sander and compare that to the combination
machines. The two were never meant to be glommed together.

So I guess I'm advising you to not buy the combo. Now, a
stand alone belt machine, that's a whole nuther kettle of
fish.

Thanks.

O.

Not a prob.