Old July 14th 03, 03:49 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Want to surprise my husband with a belt sander, but WHICH ONE???

"Michelle in League City" wrote in message
om...
SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! My husband mentioned in passing he would
like to have a belt sander - I would like to surprise him with one for
his birthday, but have not a clue which brand to buy for him or what
features to look for.

Does he want a portable or stationary?

I have both. The portable I use for just about nothing. Last used to
sharpen the lawnmower blade. It can be a danger in the wrong hands and can
take away a lot of wood real fast, even when you don't want to. .

I also have a Rigid oscillating belt sander ($239 at Home Depot) and I use
it on most every project. Allows me to gently smooth curves, do some fine
work dimensionally to get a good fit, etc.

Nice that you'd buy him a tool though.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old July 14th 03, 03:59 AM
Phil

I have a Makita #9404 - 4" x 24" Variable Speed Belt Sander that I
really like. I couldn't understand why anyone would want one until I
bought it. Now I find that I use it quite a bit. All of the brands you
mentioned are acceptable. My ranking would be Makita, Milwaukee (second
only because they don't have a variable speed sander), Bosch,
Porter-Cable, Ryobi and Dewalt.

One thing to consider is which brand is most effectively supported and
distributed in your area (and I don't mean Home Depot and the like
because they don't stock parts and many supplies.) Look in your phone
book and see which ones have service centers nearby. I'm not suggesting
that any of these sanders will be hanger queens but it sure is nice to
be able to get a small part when you need it.

Phil

Michelle in League City wrote:
SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! My husband mentioned in passing he would
like to have a belt sander - I would like to surprise him with one for
his birthday, but have not a clue which brand to buy for him or what
features to look for. He has been woodworking for a couple of years
now, starting slowly building a bookcase (his current project is
building a casing for his father's remains). I don't suspect he'll be
sanding any floors, but I would like to get him something he can keep
for years! I've done some limited research and found a few brands,
Porter Cable, Ryobi and Makita. Please help me out!!

Old July 14th 03, 06:50 AM
mat

Worked at a number of shops over the years. Always used makita 3x24. I
have found them to be bullet proof; I have enough confidence in them that
when I started my own shop I didn't even consider anything else. But having
said that I would say any of the industrial strength sanders will work for
you i.e. milwaukee, porter cable, bosch, dewalt. Now! If you really want to
surprise him... Buy yourself a niffty french maid outfit for you to wear
when helping in the shop to belt sand.

Old July 14th 03, 01:52 PM
Jim Mc Namara

Mornin' Michelle -
Toss his birthday butt in the truck and head north on Gulf Freeway. Stay on
it until you get to 610 and follow it around to 290. I believe the exit is
Antoine and make the U-turn to Woodcrafters. Let him know he's got $XXX to
spend and let him pick it out himself. It'll be great for the both of you,
he gets his choice, and he'll probably even take you out for dinner as well!
:-)

You sound like a great wife . . . he should appreciate you. Good job lady.

Jim in Houston

Old July 14th 03, 02:06 PM
HarryM

I second this. I wouldn't want my wife to buy me a tool unless I specified
a brand and model, because every one feels different in use. And a belt
sander can be a bugger to use if it's not comfortable in your hands. The
stationary type [Grizzley] is the only type I have in my shop. I hate the
portable ones -- ruined too many projects with them. harrym

"CW" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On the sewing newsgroups, men often come there saying that they want to

buy
their wife a new sewing machine. The usual advice (I agree) is to give her

card saying that it is good for one sewing machine then take her shopping

so
she can pick it out.

Old July 14th 03, 03:24 PM
Ernie Jurick

"HarryM" wrote in message
I second this. I wouldn't want my wife to buy me a tool unless I

specified
a brand and model, because every one feels different in use. And a belt
sander can be a bugger to use if it's not comfortable in your hands. The
stationary type [Grizzley] is the only type I have in my shop. I hate the
portable ones -- ruined too many projects with them. harrym

I third it. Tools to guys are like clothes to women: the chances of hitting
on the perfect choice are almost zero.
-- Ernie

Old July 14th 03, 05:31 PM
Lowell Holmes

That is an enjoyable trip. I normally have a sandwich at the deli in the
same shopping center along with an IBC root beer.
However, if you want a store close to home, The Texas Tool Traders in League
City is an alternate.
Jim, did you ever get to see the 1894 Grand Opera House in Galveston with
all it's pine paneling?

I didn't think so. :-)

. com...

Old July 14th 03, 07:53 PM
[email protected]

I don't think it matters which one as long as you
sneek up behind him and turn it on, that should
surprise him . . . ;-)

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.