RickS

Default Square Bearing Router Bits

I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

Leon

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

I am guessing here but I do know that there are 2 styles of laminate trim
bits. Those that will trim the laminate at a 90 degree angle and there are
those that the bit cuts at a slight angle angle. The resulting corner edge
of the laminate is beveled a bit and therefore not as sharp edged. This
beveled bit is best used in the top edge only and not on the side edges that
butt up to the bottom side of the top piece of laminate. The finished edge
is more comfortable to rest against.

RickS

"Leon" wrote...
I am guessing here but I do know that there are 2 styles of laminate trim
bits. Those that will trim the laminate at a 90 degree angle and there
are those that the bit cuts at a slight angle angle. [snip]

Thanks Leon.

My question really concerned the Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate bits
having a square bearing guide, rather than round. The square guide stops
turning as it contacts the surface. This is supposed to improve the trim
quality, but since I'm not convinced, I thought I might see if anyone here
has some experience with them.

/rick.

Slowhand

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

I'm curious too. Can you go ahead and buy and try and report back? g
SH

Charles Spitzer

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
"Leon" wrote...
I am guessing here but I do know that there are 2 styles of laminate trim
bits. Those that will trim the laminate at a 90 degree angle and there
are those that the bit cuts at a slight angle angle. [snip]

Thanks Leon.

My question really concerned the Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate bits
having a square bearing guide, rather than round. The square guide stops
turning as it contacts the surface. This is supposed to improve the trim
quality, but since I'm not convinced, I thought I might see if anyone here
has some experience with them.

/rick.

maybe because it won't burn. if the round one gets a little bit stuck or
doesn't rotate at the same speed, then it might burn the laminate?

Kevin Singleton

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

Rick,

Can you post the link. I'd like to see these router bits.

Thanks.

--
Kevin
-=#=-

RickS

"Kevin Singleton" asked...
Can you post the link. I'd like to see these router bits.

At Whiteside's site (a PDF file)....
http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/c...minateTrim.pdf

Or at Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), click on ...
Router Bits (under departments), then..
WHITESIDE Router Bits, then..
Laminate Trim Bits, then...
WHITESIDE Laminate Trimmer Bits with Euro Square Bearing.

I did not post the complete Woodcraft URL because it is 4 miles long.

/rick.

I could be wrong, but i'd guess that a square bit would prevent the contact
cement from building up on a regular round bearing flush trimmer bit while
cutting. I'd suggest getting a laminate file -$10 or so - to ease the edges
of the corners after trimming. --dave

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

Eric Ryder

I tried one for a re-lam in place job, using Wilsonart solvent contact
cement and Wilsonart laminate.
I was underwhelmed It still spun dried cement around the bearing - which
has an easy-to-lose circlip and shield. The square plastic bearing collar
then rapped on the lam. I'll probably stick with the solid carbides for
most of my HPL.

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

Jim

Rick:

The square bearing bits you describe are a product of Euro Limited, although
I wouldn't be surprised if Whiteside made them for Euro. I do know that the
Euro Limited bits we carry are made in New Zealand.

The bits work quite well to reduce the contact cement fouling of the pilot
bearing that is common with standard bits. The "square bearing" is really
just a bushing pressed onto the standard pilot bearing and is made of teflon
according to Euro.

Here is a link to ours:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?ProductID=lt6-4016

Hope this helps. If you need more info, feel free to call our tech support
line at 1-800-443-7937 8-5 EST.

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

Slowhand

wrote in message
nk.net...
I could be wrong, but i'd guess that a square bit would prevent the

contact
cement from building up on a regular round bearing flush trimmer bit while
cutting. I'd suggest getting a laminate file -$10 or so - to ease the

edges
of the corners after trimming. --dave

I typically run 2 runs of masking tape over the area where the bearing runs.
Seems to be just enough to keep from burning through. Then the laminate
file. Another 2 cents.
SH

Leon

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

maybe because it won't burn. if the round one gets a little bit stuck or
doesn't rotate at the same speed, then it might burn the laminate?

But which is better a burn or if the square one gets a little bit stick or
does not allow the bit to rotate inside the square guide bearing it may dent
and bang up the laminate. Actually my round bearing stays clogged up with
glue and does not always spin. No burning. I suspect because it does not
stay in one spot long and has a slick surface.

Leon

I'm with you now. I suspect that it is not a good idea. If the bearing
stopped spinning because of glue contamination the corners could bang up and
dent the laminate. My flush trim bit bearings don't spin too well any more
but still do a good job.

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
"Leon" wrote...
I am guessing here but I do know that there are 2 styles of laminate trim
bits. Those that will trim the laminate at a 90 degree angle and there
are those that the bit cuts at a slight angle angle. [snip]

Thanks Leon.

My question really concerned the Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate bits
having a square bearing guide, rather than round. The square guide stops
turning as it contacts the surface. This is supposed to improve the trim
quality, but since I'm not convinced, I thought I might see if anyone here
has some experience with them.

/rick.

Leon

Seeing the bit and thinking farther this bit will not be able to do inside
curves as well as the round bearing bits. With inside curves, especially
tight ones, the laminate will not be trimmed flush.

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message
I need a laminate trim bit for my router (PC-890), and on a retailer's
website I saw Whiteside "Euro-Square" laminate trim bits.

Can anyone compare the performance of these to the standard round bearing
guided straight bits?

/rick.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:18:02 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

My flush trim bit bearings don't spin too well any more
but still do a good job.

But if they were square, the bearings would probably still turn
freely. Sticky bearings is a gradual process, if they were forced to
keep rotating they'd probably never get that way.

Leon

wrote:

My flush trim bit bearings don't spin too well any more
but still do a good job.

But if they were square, the bearings would probably still turn
freely. Sticky bearings is a gradual process, if they were forced to
keep rotating they'd probably never get that way.

Well mine don't spin well because the bearings are giving up and or clogged
up with old glue.

Mike Marlow

[...]

The bearing isn't supposed to rotate at the same speed as the bit. It's
there to ride on the surface as a guide and it's a bearing so that it is not
spinning as one with the bit.
--

-Mike-

patriarch

"Jim" wrote in :

snip
Here is a link to ours:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?ProductID=lt6-4016

Hope this helps. If you need more info, feel free to call our tech
support line at 1-800-443-7937 8-5 EST.

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

Thanks for stopping by and offering an informed answer.

Patriarch,
wishing he'd had more time to do the projects for which he ordered all
those fastners...
RickS

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like these square bearing thingys
are a rather recent innovation (if it is in fact that).

I ended up buying a Whiteside 1/2" shank 1" CL flush trimmer with the normal
round bearing guide (works great, BTW). The local Woodcraft did not even
have a square one to look at (sorry, Slowhand). Someone else is going to
have to experiment.

And Leon, good catch on the inside curves issue. I had not even thought of
that.

/rick.

Charles Spitzer

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

the outside doesn't rotate at the same speed as the bit, but isn't the
inside supposed to?

Kevin Singleton

Thanks. I didn't know they were at Woodcraft. I would've just stopped in
the store!

--
Kevin
-=#=-

"RickS" rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net wrote in message

"Kevin Singleton" asked...
Can you post the link. I'd like to see these router bits.

At Whiteside's site (a PDF file)....
http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/c...minateTrim.pdf

Or at Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com), click on ...
Router Bits (under departments), then..
WHITESIDE Router Bits, then..
Laminate Trim Bits, then...
WHITESIDE Laminate Trimmer Bits with Euro Square Bearing.

I did not post the complete Woodcraft URL because it is 4 miles long.

/rick.

mac davis

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:45:29 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

snip

the outside doesn't rotate at the same speed as the bit, but isn't the
inside supposed to?

as I understand it, the outer "race" or whatever has a square teflon
thingie attached to it, which would (you hope) stop gently on the
surface and slide, while the inner bearing part (hub?) that makes
physical contact with the router bit would spin with the ball bearings
between the inner and outer rings of the bearing...

umm... the outside stops but the inside spins?? lol

CW

If it doesn't, you've got real problems.