Chris Mooney

Default Railing for changing table

Hey everyone. After getting about 75% done with my biggest project so
far (changing table), my son was born prematurely and passed away.
That was two years ago and now we are going to be adopting a baby come
January, so I pulled out the panels from storage today to dry-assemble
them again.

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,
but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look
like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris Mooney" wrote in message

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,
but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look
like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

How about spindles with a rail on top? Space them about every 6 inches or
so.

Good luck with the adoption. We had a similar situation.

Rick Cook

Chris Mooney wrote:

Hey everyone. After getting about 75% done with my biggest project so
far (changing table), my son was born prematurely and passed away.
That was two years ago and now we are going to be adopting a baby come
January, so I pulled out the panels from storage today to dry-assemble
them again.

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,
but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look
like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Damn! That's a horrible reason to have to give up on a project. I'm glad
you've got a reason to get back to it.

--RC

Jim Behning

A friend did the spindles and rail thing sort of. Actually he used a
few pieces of 1x around the sides and back. Or it could have been
spindles. That project was 12 or more years ago and those children are
pretty big now.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Chris Mooney" wrote in message

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,
but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look
like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

How about spindles with a rail on top? Space them about every 6 inches or
so.

Good luck with the adoption. We had a similar situation.

firstjois

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Chris Mooney" wrote in message

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,
but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look
like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

For several pictures see:
http://www.netkidswear.com/furniture...ng-tables.html

A strap or belt is also recommended so you might think about leaving a
space or slot on the far railing for attaching one.

Jois

firstjois

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Chris Mooney" wrote in message

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the top,
but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it would look
like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

If you can fix the wrap, this site shows five different changing tables and
you can click on the photos and get larger and more detailed views.

http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/sch/kwd.cfm?words=changing%20table&src=shpab%7Ccbdg%7C da%7Crshop%5Fb

Jois

firstjois

firstjois wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Chris Mooney" wrote in message

SWMBO mentioned maybe putting a rail around three sides of the
top, but I can't seem to come up with any ideas as to what it
would look like.

Can anybody help with any ideas? I would really appreciate it.

For several pictures see:
http://www.netkidswear.com/furniture...ng-tables.html

A strap or belt is also recommended so you might think about leaving
a space or slot on the far railing for attaching one.

Jois

Looking at several pictures I wonder if you could make a large tray that
fits over the existing top? If the tray's edges slipped over the top
securely you might not have to use screws or nails to attach it to the
changing table top and when outgrown the changing table would revert to
bookcase/furniture use and the super sized tray for Lego building use.

Jois

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
That project was 12 or more years ago and those children are
pretty big now.

In that case, he should probably go with a higher rail now

Wilson

GREAT IDEA!
I can't stand the money they want for this stuff, which has a very short
period of use. We never considered a rail, because we never considered
leaving the baby there, but my DIL wanted a rail. We got them an old small
dresser, previously painted, which turned out to be made mostly of walnut,
with some wild grain patterns. It cleaned up fine, but the top was a little
wavy. My son made a new top out of some rough walnut he planed down and
attached a rail. It all finished up to look nice and I'm sure it will be
the kid's dresser for years.

Anyhow, the box idea is outstanding! All it really needs to be is the rail,
with some cleats to support it on the surface of whatever is underneath.
Fitted up tight to the perimiter, 3/4" X3/4" cleats will hold it fine.

Wilson
"firstjois" wrote in message
firstjois wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Chris Mooney

"firstjois" wrote in message ...

Looking at several pictures I wonder if you could make a large tray that
fits over the existing top? If the tray's edges slipped over the top
securely you might not have to use screws or nails to attach it to the
changing table top and when outgrown the changing table would revert to
bookcase/furniture use and the super sized tray for Lego building use.

Jois

First off, thanks for all the great ideas for my quandry!

I finally glued up my very first indoor furniture project - the
changing table. I have decided to go with the VERY good idea of the
"tray" for the top, and SWMBO likes it too. It is now all sanded
(SWMBO) and is planned to be stained by the weekend (SWMBO).

Aside from ONE stray glue drip, it went really well. That being said,
I took the advice I have seen on here numerous times and planned more
time for the planning than it would take to execute. Amazing how well
it all falls into place when you put some forethought into it!

Thanks again all. I will make sure to post pictures of my very modest
first piece on the binaries newsgroup so it is at least recorded for
posterity's sake.

Chris Mooney