Yahoo

Default Time for new planer

I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am
fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a
larger floor model. After Googling this group I read some threads that
suggested there is/was a problem with sprockets breaking on the 735
when making cuts deeper than 1/16".
Does anybody know if this was a design/manufacturing problem. If so
has Dewalt acknowledged and resolved the problem?
Thanks
Edwin Pawlowski

"Yahoo" wrote in message
om...
I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am
fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a
larger floor model.

You may want to check out the Delta 680 on clearance at Loews. It was
posted here that they had them for $229. That would be a hekofa buy. For a
floor model, I'd look at Wilke Machine.

Greg G.

Edwin Pawlowski said:

"Yahoo" wrote in message
. com...
I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am
fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a
larger floor model.

You may want to check out the Delta 680 on clearance at Loews. It was
posted here that they had them for $229. That would be a hekofa buy. For a
floor model, I'd look at Wilke Machine.

What he said, only look for the 22-580 model. I just about lost it
when I saw these stacked up in the store - I paid full price...
It's a $500 two speed planer that has received top ratings for $229.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Dave

Semi-portable planers that run on 120v seem to be really popular now,
and prices seem to be falling. Do they accomplish the task almost as well as
($$) 230v floor models?

Dave

Greg G. wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski said:

"Yahoo" wrote in message
.com...
I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am
fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a
larger floor model.

You may want to check out the Delta 680 on clearance at Loews. It was
posted here that they had them for $229. That would be a hekofa buy. For
floor model, I'd look at Wilke Machine.

What he said, only look for the 22-580 model. I just about lost it
when I saw these stacked up in the store - I paid full price...
It's a $500 two speed planer that has received top ratings for $229.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Yahoo

Greg G. wrote in message . ..
Edwin Pawlowski said:

"Yahoo" wrote in message
. com...
I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am
fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a
larger floor model.

You may want to check out the Delta 680 on clearance at Loews. It was
posted here that they had them for $229. That would be a hekofa buy. For a
floor model, I'd look at Wilke Machine.

What he said, only look for the 22-580 model. I just about lost it
when I saw these stacked up in the store - I paid full price...
It's a $500 two speed planer that has received top ratings for $229.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Damn the Delta 22-680 for $229 would of made my heart stop a couple
tics I'm leaning toward the Dewalt for 3 reasons;3 knives, chip
extraction and still semi portable. I've seen just enough stuff here
and on the net about these sprockets to make me nervous. Guess I'll
contact their rep and see what they say.

Leon

"Dave" wrote in message

Semi-portable planers that run on 120v seem to be really popular now,

And have been since the late 80's I still have the one I bought in 1988,

and prices seem to be falling.

I am not too sure I would agree to that but you can on occasion find a good
deal on a close out model.

Do they accomplish the task almost as well as
($$) 230v floor models?

Actually they can do a better job of leaving a better surface IMHO. The
price you pay though is that they are slower, take much shallower cuts and
are not really intended for a long periods of daily use as compared to many
floor models. If you intend to use a planer a lot, I still go with the
floor models with induction motors.

Greg G.

Dave said:

Semi-portable planers that run on 120v seem to be really popular now,
and prices seem to be falling. Do they accomplish the task almost as well as
($$) 230v floor models?

Dave

Most leave a nice surface finish, but are noisy as hell because of the
universal motors. They are not meant for production work, and are
limited in width - the widest "portable" planer I have seen is 13".
They are slower, lighter, designed for short operating bursts, limited
in width, but much cheaper to own. Snipe has all but been eliminated
in most better models, although stock feed/extraction technique still
plays a large roll in eliminating it.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Leon

Greg G. wrote in message
Dave said:

Most leave a nice surface finish, but are noisy as hell because of the
universal motors.

Actually I remember the stationary planers be quite loud also. The wood
whacking is louder than the motor.

AAvK

I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am
fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a
larger floor model. After Googling this group I read some threads that
suggested there is/was a problem with sprockets breaking on the 735
when making cuts deeper than 1/16".
Does anybody know if this was a design/manufacturing problem. If so
has Dewalt acknowledged and resolved the problem?
Thanks

Why not an Oliver?
http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com/
http://www.olivermachinery.net/
Alex

Alan W

I take light cuts anyway - never more that a 1/16" so I can't comment
on the sprockets. Mine are fine and I'm snipe free too.

I've not yet got the knack for feed and removal of stock. A couple
months ago I bought the extension tables hoping it would help, but the
very little amount of stock I've run through since still had some good
snipe to it.

What's the secret, I was wondering if I need to angle my feed tables a
bit or something.

Also how short of boards are you able to get snipe free on?

Alan