Andy

Default Random orbital sander - Help me decide

I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

Leon

Do not apply pressure. You should only let the weight of the sander do the
work. If the sander is not removing material fast enough for you may need
more aggressive paper or to move up in power to a right angle style ROS.

.."Andy" wrote in message
om...
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

TWS

Andy wrote:
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

Have you used this for a while? Maybe your brushes are shot.

TWS

Bob Schmall

Second Leon's thinking. If you're bearing down so hard that the sander
struggles, you're probaly removing too much material anyway. Lighten up and
go to a heavier grit, e.g., start with 80 and progress to 120, 150, 180 etc.
Yeah, it takes a litle longer, but refinishing to remove those scratches
that only show up after the second coat is a real PITA, eh?
I've had two DeWalt sanders and have liked them both, esp. the rip & replace
paper.

Bob

"Leon" wrote in message
om...
Do not apply pressure. You should only let the weight of the sander do
the work. If the sander is not removing material fast enough for you may
need more aggressive paper or to move up in power to a right angle style
ROS.

."Andy" wrote in message
om...
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

Old Nick

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:13:16 GMT, TWS vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you want a _random_ sander, where's the problem deciding? G

Andy wrote:
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

Have you used this for a while? Maybe your brushes are shot.

TWS

I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.
Todd

Andy,

As for replacing the sander, you never mentioned if it was round,
1/4 or 1/3 sheet ? Now depending on what/how big of a piece you are
sanding will determine what you get. I have all three sanders which I
use for both automotive and woodworking sanding projects. If you are
using the sander for small projects, the round or 1/4 sheet palm
sander would be fine. On the other hand, if you are doing table tops
or armoir's ( sp? ) then the bigger sander is the one to go with.

The one big kicker for me is how noisy the sander is, not so much how
big the motor is. Cheap sanders won't last as long and are REALLY
noisy, plus a better sander will vibrate less in your hands giving you
more control. If you do any amount of sanding at all it's worth it
to go more expensive and find a sander that's quiet. The one I have
at the moment that I LOVE is my Bosch. Compared to every other
sander I have used it's the least noisy.

As for it slowing down and stopping I would say that your brushes
may be getting a little worn, it may be time to replace your RO.
Unless you really like it and want to spend the money to have the
motor rebuilt. Most alternator/starter repair shops have the ability
to rebuild your motor. They will also re cut your stator winding
grooves and when you get it back it should be powerful as it was when
new. Now like someone else said, pull it apart and make sure it's not
a bushing or bearing that's gone. They don't last forever.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Todd

(Andy) wrote in message . com...
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

Andy

Thanks for all the replies. It's a 5" round. Most of my jobs are
small, but I do wish I had a belt sander sometimes like when I was
trying to strip paint off of my porch (only about 100sq.ft). I was
using 80 or 50 grit but it still wasn't working. I apply as much
pressure as if I were doing it by hand, so I don't know if that's
excessive. The weight of the sander alone definitely is not enough
unless it's finishing work. Perhaps I need a belt sander instead of a
more powerful RO sander.

(Andy) wrote in message . com...
I currently have a "Tim Tayler Signature" (I know, wow!) RO sander. It
has a 2.4A motor and 12,500 orbits/minute. When I apply pressure the
sander slows down and/or stops completely. My first thought is I need
a more powerful motor. But looking at what's currently available,
other than the real expensive ones, most motors aren't even 2.4A. So
what's the deal, is it a feature that the motor slows to prevent me
from scratching my work? Is it a common problem among all RO sanders?
I have had no reliability problems with this sander so I need to
justify replacing it. Thanks.
Andy

Mike Marlow

"Todd" wrote in message
om...

As for it slowing down and stopping I would say that your brushes
may be getting a little worn, it may be time to replace your RO.

Well, if his brushes are getting a little worn, they are acting like they
should. All brushes wear and motors don't run poorly because they start to
wear. It certainly is not a sign that he needs a new sander. Oh wait a
minute - my bad... of course, it *is* a reason for a new sander. I forgot
for a moment the line that goes "hey Hun, I need a new sander, this old POS
that I've been using is wearing out the brushes." Ok, so I can be a little
slow on the uptake sometimes...

--

-Mike-

Lew Hodgett

Subject

Sanding is a total PITA, thus bigger is better IMHO.

I have a 6" Bosch that gets no respect.

Building a boat, I beat the crap out of it and it just comes back for more.

When it's time to replace it, will get another Bosch or maybe the 8" Fein.

There are both German, you can't go wrong with either one.

Lew

Mike Marlow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news
Subject

Sanding is a total PITA, thus bigger is better IMHO.

I have a 6" Bosch that gets no respect.

Building a boat, I beat the crap out of it and it just comes back for

more.

When it's time to replace it, will get another Bosch or maybe the 8" Fein.

There are both German, you can't go wrong with either one.

Lew

Hey Lew - have you ever used an 8" machine? If you have, ignore the rest of
what I have to say, but if you haven't then let me say that you won't want
to replace a 6" tool with an 8" tool. (intentionally leaving that wide
open...). I'd go with both in my inventory if I were you. 8" is great for
knocking down big stuff and for overall leveling, but it won't get in where
6" will and it gets unwieldy after a while.
--

-Mike-

Lew Hodgett

"Mike Marlow" writes:

Hey Lew - have you ever used an 8" machine?

Actually, I use a 9" right angle machine equipped /w/ 16 grit disks as my
basic fiberglass sanding tool.

Trust me, it can be a bear some days.

If you have, ignore the rest of
what I have to say, but if you haven't then let me say that you won't want
to replace a 6" tool with an 8" tool. (intentionally leaving that wide
open...).

Naw, naw, won't ignore you.

I'd go with both in my inventory if I were you. 8" is great for
knocking down big stuff and for overall leveling, but it won't get in

where
6" will and it gets unwieldy after a while.

That's why Fein makes a detail sander, IMHO.

Far more useful than any ROS , IMHO.

Lew

Norman D. Crow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike Marlow" writes:

Hey Lew - have you ever used an 8" machine?

Actually, I use a 9" right angle machine equipped /w/ 16 grit disks as my
basic fiberglass sanding tool.

Trust me, it can be a bear some days.

If you have, ignore the rest of
what I have to say, but if you haven't then let me say that you won't

want
to replace a 6" tool with an 8" tool. (intentionally leaving that wide
open...).

Naw, naw, won't ignore you.

I'd go with both in my inventory if I were you. 8" is great for
knocking down big stuff and for overall leveling, but it won't get in

where
6" will and it gets unwieldy after a while.

That's why Fein makes a detail sander, IMHO.

Lew, is the Fein detail sander really that much better than the cheaper
types? Not looking to start a war here, but my cheapie Ryobi seems to do
pretty good for what I need it for.

--
Nahmie

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:42:09 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

snip

That's why Fein makes a detail sander, IMHO.

Lew, is the Fein detail sander really that much better than the cheaper
types? Not looking to start a war here, but my cheapie Ryobi seems to do
pretty good for what I need it for.

it is. I've had both....

Lew Hodgett

"Norman D. Crow writes:

Lew, is the Fein detail sander really that much better than the cheaper
types? Not looking to start a war here, but my cheapie Ryobi seems to do
pretty good for what I need it for.

Once you use the Fein, you'll never go back.

Lew

Lew Hodgett

Somebody wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. It's a 5" round. Most of my jobs are
small, but I do wish I had a belt sander sometimes like when I was
trying to strip paint off of my porch (only about 100sq.ft). I was
using 80 or 50 grit but it still wasn't working.

You are asking a boy to do a man's job.

Use a chemical paint stripper to get rid of the heavy stuff followed by some
quality time with that baby (5") ROS equipped with some 40 grit paper.

The only reason I don't suggest 24 grit is because they don't make it for a
smaller ROS.

After it's cleaned up, follow up with some 80/100 grit before painting.

Unless you are skilled with a belt sander (Read that you have experience
destroying lots of things with a belt sander), forget it.

I do a lot of sanding.

The least used sanding tool I have is a belt sander.

HTH

Lew

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:44:12 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
calmly ranted:

Somebody wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. It's a 5" round. Most of my jobs are
small, but I do wish I had a belt sander sometimes like when I was
trying to strip paint off of my porch (only about 100sq.ft). I was
using 80 or 50 grit but it still wasn't working.

You are asking a boy to do a man's job.

Use a chemical paint stripper to get rid of the heavy stuff followed by some
quality time with that baby (5") ROS equipped with some 40 grit paper.

Or sit down with a putty knife and heat gun. It takes it down to
nearly bare wood in no time at all.

Unless you are skilled with a belt sander (Read that you have experience
destroying lots of things with a belt sander), forget it.

Yeah, a belt sandah can put a trench in wood in a hurry.

I do a lot of sanding.

Mostly on epoxy on your teensy toy boat, right?

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com