bob

Default have 2nd table saw - what to do with it

My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had a
hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and I
don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

toller

Obvious answer is a large crosscut sled.

Oh, to have the room you must have...

Troy Hall

donate it to me LOL

signature Troy & Michelle Hall Cogy Farm Clay Center, Kansas 67432
"toller" wrote in message
news
Obvious answer is a large crosscut sled.

Oh, to have the room you must have...

---

John

Set it up as a dedicated DADO machine??

Set it up as a rough sawing station with a coarse toothed blade??

Pull the motor and convert to a heavy duty router table??

John

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:23:06 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had a
hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and I
don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

Sweet Sawdust

I agree
"toller" wrote in message
news
Obvious answer is a large crosscut sled.

Oh, to have the room you must have...

Sweet Sawdust

I agree
"toller" wrote in message
news
Obvious answer is a large crosscut sled.

Oh, to have the room you must have...

Wilson

Don't listen to those guys...give ot to me.
I have two C'men and both work well. I have that fence and it's OK if you
push it up against the rail after setting...usually takes me two tries. No
Prob for the few small rips I do on it. I do the big rips on a RAS...much
easier and safer!

Anyhow, the crosscut advice is right on. I have an 80 tooth crosscut blade
on one and a rip blade on the other. It saves me gobs of time, especially
since I never plan cuts in any reasonable order. I can leave a rip set,
like for rail/stile/face frame stock and do the crosscuts as needed, going
back to rip more if I mess something up or change my design.

Both my old C'men asr as straight as can be and run fine. I could use a
little more power for ripping big stuff, but rarely need it. I have link
belts on them, with original pulleys. I would not trade both for a "better"
saw! I even use the original trashy splitters and guards.

BTW, I do all dados on the RAS...MUCH easier and doesn't make me take the TS
blade off. This setup has remained unchanged for several years. It looks
like the Freud blades will last forever, if I don't hit nails.

If you do some careful setup and have a straight floor, you can set the two
TS to be table extensions for each other.

Someday I may try a HArbor Freight motor of 2HP or so on the ripper.

Wilson

"bob" wrote in message
My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had

hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and

don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

BruceR

Troy Hall wrote:
donate it to me LOL

signature Troy & Michelle Hall Cogy Farm Clay Center, Kansas 67432
"toller" wrote in message
news
Obvious answer is a large crosscut sled.

Oh, to have the room you must have...

Perhaps a disc sander. That is my plan for my dads old 8" TS I have.

-Bruce

toller

Someday I may try a HArbor Freight motor of 2HP or so on the ripper.

I have a 2hp on my craftsman, and it won't make a 45 cut now; the motor
sticks up above the table.
Just something to watch for. I didn't want you to find out the same way I
did; ruining a large panel!

Pat Barber

Even if you can't put a "full stack" dado on it, I bet you
can put at least a 1/2" version. You could even look at
putting two blades with a spacer to make it a dedicated
tenoning saw.

Look at this: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/2blade.htm

bob wrote:

My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had a
hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and I
don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

mac davis

wrote:

My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had a
hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and I
don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

If you have room, it's great to have 2 table saws... sounds like you
could do at least light dados on it, maybe leave a combo blade in it
for the quick cuts that you don't want to change the setup on your
Jet..

I had an old one that I kept a wobble-dado blade in and added an 8"
disk sander to.. used it for a few years until I got the radial arm
and the belt/disk sander..

Mac

Troy Hall

I've made 3/4" deep dado's 15/16" (?) or was it 13/16" wide in old pallet
hardwood in a single pass with mine without even it slowing down. Ate the
wood up like it was sawdust! Anyway it was all of the spacers and all of
the blades. Worked like a charm. Have used my dado set several times and
it cuts as if its a regular blade and just eats up whatever is put in front
of it.

signature Troy & Michelle Hall Cogy Farm Clay Center, Kansas 67432
ink.net...

"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Never Enough Money

I have two table saws (at least for 2 more months when my fried takes
his back)....

It has been wonderful setting up one to cut tenons vertically and the
other to cut the cheeks. It is so fast not having to adjust the same
saw so many times. Sometimes I put a dado blade in one and a Forrest
Woodworker II in the other. Again -- fewer blade changes.

I will truely miss it when my friend takes it back.

"bob" wrote in message t...
[snip]

Mike Marlow

"bob" wrote in message
My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had

hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and

don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

Don't sell it short on it's ability to cut dado's. Unless it has an
unusually small motor it should dado pretty well. Other uses for it...
hmmmmm... well, with a set of torches (one of my favorite tools), a mig
welder and a little creativity, you could probably turn it into a dedicated
mortising machine. Well, ok, with maybe a little more than just a little
work, but think of how you could brag about the stability of the base of
your dedicated mortising machine.

Or... you could just send it to me...
--

-Mike-

RKG

I used to have 2 tablesaws - well the 2nd one wasn't much one of those Ryobi
things you could pick up and carry with one hand. My first saw because I
was just getting into woodworking a couple years ago and didn't know any
better. This thread kind of makes me wish I hadn't given it to my son in
law. With some of the ideas here I probably could have made use of it, and
no I don't have a big shop just a 25' by 25' basement room but at least I
have outside access.

Rick

"bob" wrote in message
My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had

hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and

don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

bob

Oh, so many ideas. Thanks, guys. Yes, I am blessed with some space - 750
sq ft. I planned it that way when we built the house. I think the first
thing is to clean it up and put the dado set on it and see what it can do.
I forgot to mention that the saw has no side wings on it, so I'd have to do
something there to have a more stable working area. I have an 8" sanding
station that my Dad also built and gave to me, so I don't need the table saw
for that. The router table - very interesting. I have been wanting to
build one. Maybe I better go drink an adult beverage and think about this
some.

thanks again for the ideas....

Bob

"bob" wrote in message
My Dad recently gave me his 10" table saw. It is a 1950's vintage
Craftsman, actually well built with a good, gear driven fence. It has had

hard life - I disassembled lawn mower engines on it when I was a kid, and

don't think my Dad ever cleaned the gook out of the trunnion area. But, a
good cleaning up with take care of that. He even built a rolling cabinet
under it that doubles as a dust collector.

Anyway, I have a Jet 10" contractors saw. And I was thinking, what
operation could I set up the Craftsman for that would save me time so I am
not swapping out blades, etc... on the Jet. Dadoing comes to mind, but I
don't think the Craftsman is up to that task. What else would you all
recommend for a dedicated unit?

Thanks,

Bob

AL

I bet if you know how to weld, or have a friend that knows how to weld, that
you can make a jig that will allow you to clamp a router to the existing
trunnion, and then raise and lower it with the crank, AND tilt it with the
other crank (like a tilting shaper).

. ..

"bob" wrote in message
[...]

AArDvarK

Bob, another idea, I just saw this link in the current WWJ:
http://www.lrhent.com/ they make a set up for table saws
to make them itno (itno?) INTO a molder, "Magic Molder".

Alex

Old unisaw table different from new ones? Heath Roberts Woodworking 8 March 22nd 04 04:21 PM
How Wide Should an Outfeed Table be? Jay Chan Woodworking 9 March 17th 04 02:42 PM
Extension leaf design for dining room table Melvin P. Schtepner Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:39 PM
Jet table saw table out of tolerance Bob Davis Woodworking 3 October 21st 03 05:54 PM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM