Joe C

Default Router tale insert

I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm on a
budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those fancy,
above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a plate
would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS plunge
routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman router.

Joe C.

Wilson

Budget? why not make it out of a scrap of plexiglass or Lexan, maybe from a
window shop.
Anything 3/16 or more should be fine. Of course you could use aluminum if
you can work it. A hacksaw blade in a sabre saw would cut it, as would a
handsaw. You can rout out the table with a small guide at the center of the
hole. Rout a groove, then use a sabre saw to take out the center and leave
the shoulder. There's no saying the plate can't be circular, so how about
using a small wood disk as the pattern? Tack it in place and rout around it
with a straight bit. Use two disks of different size to make the groove
wider, if you don't have a large bit.
Wilson
"Joe C" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm on

budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those

fancy,
above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a plate
would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS plunge
routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman router.

Joe C.

Eugene

Joe C wrote:

I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm on
a budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those
fancy, above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a
plate would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS plunge
routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman router.

Joe C.

I didn't have it in the budget to put a plate in mine yet so I just drilled
some holes screwed the router in place, it seems to work pretty well that
way so I can wait until someday for an insert.

John McCoy

"Joe C" wrote in
m:

I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking
for recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts.
I'm on a budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one
of those fancy, above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but
recommendations on a plate would be appreciated.

If you're on a budget, then I agree w/ Wilson, make your own from
Lexan. There's probably a plastics shop in your area (look in the
yellow pages under plastics) that will sell you a piece for a
pittance, if they don't just give it to you from the cutoff pile.

I would suggest using the thickest you can easily obtain. Don't
make it any larger than you have to (the size will be determined
by how large a hole you need in the router table top for the router
to pass thru). These will avoid any problems with the router
sagging.

I would make the insert square, and take the time to get the router
exactly centered in it. This makes a convenient base for following
a guide batten or a jig when the router is out of the table. If
you center the router on the base, then you don't have to worry
about always holding the router the same way around (mine is 1/8th
off center, which is annoying...one of these days I'll do it over).

John

patriarch

"Joe C" wrote in
m:

I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking
for recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts.
I'm on a budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one
of those fancy, above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but
recommendations on a plate would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS
plunge routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman
router.

Joe C.

http://www.woodpeck.com/phenolicinsert.html

This product works for me. I couldn't build it more cheaply, and the
changable inserts allow much safer work conditions.

Patriarch
Al Reid

"Joe C" wrote in message m...
I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm on a
budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those fancy,
above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a plate
would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS plunge
routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman router.

Joe C.

Here is what I used on mine.

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/r...ble/rm3509.htm

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

SwampBug

the round plate would have to have a key/pin to stop counter torque. I =
would not use a round plate. s

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Wilson" wrote in message =
news Budget? why not make it out of a scrap of plexiglass or Lexan, maybe =
from a
window shop.
Anything 3/16 or more should be fine. Of course you could use aluminum =
if
you can work it. A hacksaw blade in a sabre saw would cut it, as would =
handsaw. You can rout out the table with a small guide at the center of =
the
hole. Rout a groove, then use a sabre saw to take out the center and =
leave
the shoulder. There's no saying the plate can't be circular, so how =
about
using a small wood disk as the pattern? Tack it in place and rout =
around it
with a straight bit. Use two disks of different size to make the groove
wider, if you don't have a large bit.
Wilson
"Joe C" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking =

for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm =

on
budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those

fancy,
above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a =

plate
would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS =

plunge
routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman router.

Joe C.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe C" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm on
budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those
fancy,
above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a plate
would be appreciated.

Make the insert the same size or smaller than a lift. You can always cut
the hole larger if you decide to add one later. Benchdog, as well as
others, do sell phenolic inserts for about $20. Check them out at
www.routerbits.com

sr_wood

I've gone through a couple of router table inserts and my last one was
the Rockler insert. It's aluminum and doesn't deflect much at all. But
I have to tell you, if your planning on doing any furniture making I
would recommend the rout-r-lift or something similar. These devices
are worth every penny if your doing precise work. I switched over to a
Rout-R-Lift and making .002 inch changes is heaven sent. Just my 2
cents.

Don
"Joe C" wrote in message om...
I'm going to begin building my ultimate router table and am looking for
recommendations, warnings, deals, etc... on router table inserts. I'm on a
budget (who isn't?) so, much as I'd like to, I can't put one of those fancy,
above-table, height adjustment mech's in, but recommendations on a plate
would be appreciated.

TIA

oh, by the way, this is for my brand spanking new Hitachi 3 1/4 EVS plunge
routah (neener) which replaced my new boat anchor nee crapsman router.

Joe C.

Joe C

Al,

I like that particular one.

Does the slight crown they advertise as being built into the plate cause any
issues?

"Al Reid" wrote in message

"Joe C" wrote in message

m...
[...]

Al Reid

"Joe C" wrote in message m...
Al,

I like that particular one.

Does the slight crown they advertise as being built into the plate cause any
issues?

It did not cause a problem for me. I have a PC 7518 3-1/4 HP unit handing under mine. there was no crown detectable crown with the
router installed.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...