Old September 13th 04, 06:35 PM
terry

Default Change hollow core door to solid core door

Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

Old September 13th 04, 07:37 PM
U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:58 -0700, terry wrote:
Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

What you need is a special "Hollow to solid door converter." They sell
them at home centers, though you may have to special order one.

Note that they are FREQUENTLY mislabled as "Special Order Solid-Core
Doors" by the clueless wonks who run the Big Box stores. Never mind
what it's called. That's the item you need.

Old September 13th 04, 08:02 PM
Al Reid

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message news:[email protected]
On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:58 -0700, terry wrote:
Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

What you need is a special "Hollow to solid door converter." They sell
them at home centers, though you may have to special order one.

Note that they are FREQUENTLY mislabled as "Special Order Solid-Core
Doors" by the clueless wonks who run the Big Box stores. Never mind
what it's called. That's the item you need.

Before going that route I would mix up some sawdust with wood glue, drill a hole in the top of the door and pour it in.

HTH,
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

Old September 13th 04, 08:07 PM
Eric Ryder

"terry" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

Don't believe the other posts! Just drill a hole in the top and add solid.
Use any of these:
http://images.google.com/images?q=so...=1&sa=N&tab=fi

Old September 13th 04, 08:09 PM
Mac Cool

terry:

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Great Stuff!
http://www.dow.com/greatstuff/

It'll probably explode the door, but you'll have fun doing it.
--
Mac Cool

Old September 13th 04, 08:53 PM
loutent

In article , terry
wrote:

Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

Here's what I would do:

1. Carefully peel off the outer skin - I prefer the inside,
but it really doesn't matter. Try not to scratch the finish
because you will be using this later!

2. Calculate the square footage of fill material - try using MDF,
it's cheap (but a little heavy). I always buy 10% extra "just
in case".

3. Make a template of all the cavities in the door.

4. Glue up the MDF to the right thickness plus a little more, then
use a planer to "sneak up" on the exact thickness you need. I always
do this step outdoors - damn MDF is really dusty!

5. Using the templates made in step 3 and using at least a 2 inch
pattern bit in your router, cut them out - again, do this outside
if possible.

6. Set the MDF fillers into the door using a little yellow glue.

7. Re-apply the skin saved from step 1 - careful not to scratch it.

8. Hang the door.

9. The beauty of this system is that you can do it without removing
the hinges so it's ready to hang immediately - a real time saver!

10. Alternately, you could buy a new solid core door then glue on the
skin from the old hollow door - I have tried this too, but it's a little
more expensive than the MDF method.

Good luck!

Lou
Old September 13th 04, 08:54 PM
mp

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

If all else fails, drill a hole in the top, pour in a couple quarts poly
glue followed by a cup of water, then plug the hole right away. The glue
will expand to fill all existing voids and once that is done it'll create
some new voids. Once the glue dries, trim any outflow with a chainsaw, axe,
or hammer chisel.

Old September 14th 04, 02:46 AM
terry

Hi,

Thank your for all replies! One more thing, actually I want to do this
for insulating sound, could the methods provided do this?

Thanks!