loutent

In article , terry
wrote:

Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

Here's what I would do:

1. Carefully peel off the outer skin - I prefer the inside,
but it really doesn't matter. Try not to scratch the finish
because you will be using this later!

2. Calculate the square footage of fill material - try using MDF,
it's cheap (but a little heavy). I always buy 10% extra "just
in case".

3. Make a template of all the cavities in the door.

4. Glue up the MDF to the right thickness plus a little more, then
use a planer to "sneak up" on the exact thickness you need. I always
do this step outdoors - damn MDF is really dusty!

5. Using the templates made in step 3 and using at least a 2 inch
pattern bit in your router, cut them out - again, do this outside
if possible.

6. Set the MDF fillers into the door using a little yellow glue.

7. Re-apply the skin saved from step 1 - careful not to scratch it.

8. Hang the door.

9. The beauty of this system is that you can do it without removing
the hinges so it's ready to hang immediately - a real time saver!

10. Alternately, you could buy a new solid core door then glue on the
skin from the old hollow door - I have tried this too, but it's a little
more expensive than the MDF method.

Good luck!

Lou