DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Change hollow core door to solid core door (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/69240-change-hollow-core-door-solid-core-door.html)

terry September 13th 04 06:35 PM

Change hollow core door to solid core door

Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles September 13th 04 07:37 PM

On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:58 -0700, terry wrote:
Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

What you need is a special "Hollow to solid door converter." They sell
them at home centers, though you may have to special order one.

Note that they are FREQUENTLY mislabled as "Special Order Solid-Core
Doors" by the clueless wonks who run the Big Box stores. Never mind
what it's called. That's the item you need.

Al Reid September 13th 04 08:02 PM

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message news:SVk1d.4043$IO5.1543@trndny04...
On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:58 -0700, terry wrote:
Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

What you need is a special "Hollow to solid door converter." They sell
them at home centers, though you may have to special order one.

Note that they are FREQUENTLY mislabled as "Special Order Solid-Core
Doors" by the clueless wonks who run the Big Box stores. Never mind
what it's called. That's the item you need.

Before going that route I would mix up some sawdust with wood glue, drill a hole in the top of the door and pour it in.

HTH,
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

Eric Ryder September 13th 04 08:07 PM

"terry" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

Don't believe the other posts! Just drill a hole in the top and add solid.
Use any of these:
http://images.google.com/images?q=so...=1&sa=N&tab=fi

Mac Cool September 13th 04 08:09 PM

terry:

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Great Stuff!
http://www.dow.com/greatstuff/

It'll probably explode the door, but you'll have fun doing it.
--
Mac Cool

loutent September 13th 04 08:53 PM

In article , terry
wrote:

Hi,

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

Thanks!

Here's what I would do:

1. Carefully peel off the outer skin - I prefer the inside,
but it really doesn't matter. Try not to scratch the finish
because you will be using this later!

2. Calculate the square footage of fill material - try using MDF,
it's cheap (but a little heavy). I always buy 10% extra "just
in case".

3. Make a template of all the cavities in the door.

4. Glue up the MDF to the right thickness plus a little more, then
use a planer to "sneak up" on the exact thickness you need. I always
do this step outdoors - damn MDF is really dusty!

5. Using the templates made in step 3 and using at least a 2 inch
pattern bit in your router, cut them out - again, do this outside
if possible.

6. Set the MDF fillers into the door using a little yellow glue.

7. Re-apply the skin saved from step 1 - careful not to scratch it.

8. Hang the door.

9. The beauty of this system is that you can do it without removing
the hinges so it's ready to hang immediately - a real time saver!

10. Alternately, you could buy a new solid core door then glue on the
skin from the old hollow door - I have tried this too, but it's a little
more expensive than the MDF method.

Good luck!

Lou

mp September 13th 04 08:54 PM

Does it exist a solution in the market that can be used to change a
hollow core door to become a solid-core door?

If all else fails, drill a hole in the top, pour in a couple quarts poly
glue followed by a cup of water, then plug the hole right away. The glue
will expand to fill all existing voids and once that is done it'll create
some new voids. Once the glue dries, trim any outflow with a chainsaw, axe,
or hammer chisel.

terry September 14th 04 02:46 AM

Hi,

Thank your for all replies! One more thing, actually I want to do this
for insulating sound, could the methods provided do this?

Thanks!

Larry Jaques September 14th 04 04:41 AM

On 13 Sep 2004 17:46:41 -0700, (terry) calmly
ranted:

Hi,

Thank your for all replies! One more thing, actually I want to do this
for insulating sound, could the methods provided do this?

What kind/frequency of sound? Also note that you'll have
to add weatherstripping around the door to seal out sound,
and add a bottom wiper to complete the sound deadening.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade!
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

patriarch September 14th 04 07:55 AM

(terry) wrote in
m:

Hi,

Thank your for all replies! One more thing, actually I want to do this
for insulating sound, could the methods provided do this?

Thanks!

Terry, you may not have realized that many/most of the replies I saw were
in jest. Sometimes that's the way the wReck deals with questions that
seem, on the face of things, to be infeasible.

Replacing the door is likely the best option, as one poster mentioned.

Hollow core doors are not really hollow, but the faces are held apart,
generally, with a matrix of corrugated paper. A retrofit is unlikely to
succeed, and will almost destroy the original door in trying.

Sound deadening, strong, easy to deal with. Sounds like you want a pre-
hung fiberglass door. Should take longer to go buy one at the home center
than to install it in the opening. Measure well. Decide which way you want
it to swing.

This link has some pretty good information available.
http://www.ebuild.com/guide/resource...1702&catCode=8

Patriarch

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles September 14th 04 05:54 PM

On 13 Sep 2004 17:46:41 -0700, terry wrote:
Hi,

Thank your for all replies! One more thing, actually I want to do this
for insulating sound, could the methods provided do this?

Thanks!

How much? An "exterior door" might be Good Enough. But if your needs
are more rigorous, you can buy a "sound rated" door that provides X dB
of sound reduction. The prices are a good bit higher.

Prometheus September 25th 04 01:46 AM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:54:08 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles
wrote:

On 13 Sep 2004 17:46:41 -0700, terry wrote:
Hi,

Thank your for all replies! One more thing, actually I want to do this
for insulating sound, could the methods provided do this?

Unless you want to enter the realm of total insanity, just buy a new
door, make a new door yourself, or get some thick foam padding, and
glue it to your cheap hollow-core door. I've seen egg-crate style
foam used in music practice rooms, and though I'm not sure how well it
works, it is probably your cheapest option.

Renata September 27th 04 01:48 PM

Don't forget the rebar for added strength!

Renata

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:52:21 -0400, "Mark Hopkins"
wrote:

Concrete works really well and will resist damage from breakins too.

om...