Old May 19th 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Murphy bed progress

So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

Old May 20th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 6:18:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

It's looking good and I like your use of modern technology.

I can't wait until you invite us all over for the final reveal.

I just bought some new silk pajamas.
Old May 20th 21, 08:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 May 2021 17:18:29 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

BTDT. I've made more than a few things that ended up being heavier
than useful. ;-) Plywood and MDF get heavy.
Old May 20th 21, 09:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2021 12:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 6:18:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

It's looking good and I like your use of modern technology.

Thank you!

The Shaper Origin has pretty much found it's way into every job I have
done for customers and myself. Except for the kitchen job that I
finished at the end of March. Kinda like the Domino, I had no idea that
I would use it this much so far. Cutting box joints are a piece of cake
and much easier than any jig that I have used, Leigh or Incra iBox.

I can't wait until you invite us all over for the final reveal.

Just around the corner. I am going to build tower cabinets to put
beside it too.

A screen shot of where this is headed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And I just sanded and painted this part this morning.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

I just bought some new silk pajamas.

TMI! ;~)
Old May 20th 21, 09:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

BTDT. I've made more than a few things that ended up being heavier
than useful. ;-) Plywood and MDF get heavy.

And I "said" I was steering towards smaller projects.... Covid ended up
reversing the insurance only jobs after Harvey. I was not going to do
big jobs, well any jobs at insurance rates.

I built a store room at our other house about 15 years ago. I used
treated 3/4" plywood for the flooring. My dad and I could hardly carry
a single sheet to my back yard.

Old May 20th 21, 10:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have one of the Dewalt SCMS stands for my Bosch SCMS (I have a Bosch
stand for my Dewalt planer, so go figure). The brackets didn't fit
well so I built a table with some cubbyholes to store stuff in the
front and a place for a power strip and automatic DC switch in the
back. The thing is so heavy that I can't get it on or off the stand
by myself. Classic case of over-design.
Old May 20th 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2021 4:25 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 15:06:40 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If your comment was prompted by my Kapex in the picture....
I could not be happier with the Kapex, stand, and extension wings.

The Kapex stays on the portable stand and is simple to place where
needed. I once had a dedicate miter saw station and a Delta saw which
worked well but was mostly in the way 90% of the time.

The Kapex stand and left and right extension wings separate easily and
quickly. A single thumb screw on each wing locks the wings into place.
The wings have a single fold down pipe/bar to hold the outer end up.
They are adjusted for height with a single thumbscrew on each also.
Each wing sits/indexes/locks into a v-grove on the Kapex.
And each extension has a telescoping extension also. These extend each
side between 7~8' IIRC. So the Kapex set up can be narrow for storage
or small cuts, about 24" wide or about 16' wide with both extensions and
their extensions.

And those extensions are calibrated, have rules and stops and a ruled
stop for the telescoping extensions similar to the gold telescoping
Incra miter fence.

It takes about 2 minutes to retrieve the extensions and attach to the Kapex.

Too much? ;~)

Old May 21st 21, 02:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 May 2021 17:18:05 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 5/20/2021 4:25 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 15:06:40 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, just the over-heavy projects. The Kapex is an awesome tool but I
just can't see any purpose in the _expensive_ stand. Maybe if I were
an installer but for the home? No way.

The Kapex stays on the portable stand and is simple to place where
needed. I once had a dedicate miter saw station and a Delta saw which
worked well but was mostly in the way 90% of the time.

The nice thing about the Kapex is that it'll go against the wall. My
Bosch takes almost as much space as my Unisaw.

The Kapex stand and left and right extension wings separate easily and
quickly. A single thumb screw on each wing locks the wings into place.
The wings have a single fold down pipe/bar to hold the outer end up.
They are adjusted for height with a single thumbscrew on each also.
Each wing sits/indexes/locks into a v-grove on the Kapex.
And each extension has a telescoping extension also. These extend each
side between 7~8' IIRC. So the Kapex set up can be narrow for storage
or small cuts, about 24" wide or about 16' wide with both extensions and
their extensions.

And those extensions are calibrated, have rules and stops and a ruled
stop for the telescoping extensions similar to the gold telescoping
Incra miter fence.

It takes about 2 minutes to retrieve the extensions and attach to the Kapex.

Too much? ;~)

Yes, too much (money). Kapex, yes. Stand, no.
Old May 21st 21, 04:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2021 8:16 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 17:18:05 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 5/20/2021 4:25 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 15:06:40 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If room is not an issue I can understand a permanent, less portable set
up and location.

The Kapex stays on the portable stand and is simple to place where
needed. I once had a dedicate miter saw station and a Delta saw which
worked well but was mostly in the way 90% of the time.

The nice thing about the Kapex is that it'll go against the wall. My
Bosch takes almost as much space as my Unisaw.

The nice thing about the Kapex "set-up" is that it'll set up most
anywhere in no time, against the wall, in a tight spot for storage, or
in the middle of the shop for a few cuts.

[...]

Well the stand and extensions were pretty pricey compared to the Kapex.
Both together 3.5 years ago was just under $2600 TTL.

Expensive, absolutely, but with excellent dust collection and ease of
set up I do not hesitate to pull it out for a couple of cuts.
Old May 21st 21, 04:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2021 5:18 PM, Leon wrote:
So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

*Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

Much easier to visualize now. In the room and wall that it will
eventually be located.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/