Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Murphy bed progress

On Fri, 21 May 2021 10:09:59 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/20/2021 8:16 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 17:18:05 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/20/2021 4:25 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 15:06:40 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/20/2021 2:54 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 17:18:29 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

BTDT. I've made more than a few things that ended up being heavier
than useful. ;-) Plywood and MDF get heavy.

And I "said" I was steering towards smaller projects.... Covid ended up
reversing the insurance only jobs after Harvey. I was not going to do
big jobs, well any jobs at insurance rates.

I built a store room at our other house about 15 years ago. I used
treated 3/4" plywood for the flooring. My dad and I could hardly carry
a single sheet to my back yard.

I have one of the Dewalt SCMS stands for my Bosch SCMS (I have a Bosch
stand for my Dewalt planer, so go figure). The brackets didn't fit
well so I built a table with some cubbyholes to store stuff in the
front and a place for a power strip and automatic DC switch in the
back. The thing is so heavy that I can't get it on or off the stand
by myself. Classic case of over-design.

If your comment was prompted by my Kapex in the picture....
I could not be happier with the Kapex, stand, and extension wings.

No, just the over-heavy projects. The Kapex is an awesome tool but I
just can't see any purpose in the _expensive_ stand. Maybe if I were
an installer but for the home? No way.

If room is not an issue I can understand a permanent, less portable set
up and location.

Put it on wheels and shove it in the corner with the rest of the large
tools if space is a problem. The Dewalt stand is very good for that,
too. I intend to use it for my HF SCMS for outdoor work. If it
rains, so what?

The Kapex stays on the portable stand and is simple to place where
needed. I once had a dedicate miter saw station and a Delta saw which
worked well but was mostly in the way 90% of the time.

The nice thing about the Kapex is that it'll go against the wall. My
Bosch takes almost as much space as my Unisaw.

The nice thing about the Kapex "set-up" is that it'll set up most
anywhere in no time, against the wall, in a tight spot for storage, or
in the middle of the shop for a few cuts.

No matter how easy it is to set up, it's even easier to bring the wood
to it.

The Kapex stand and left and right extension wings separate easily and
quickly. A single thumb screw on each wing locks the wings into place.
The wings have a single fold down pipe/bar to hold the outer end up.
They are adjusted for height with a single thumbscrew on each also.
Each wing sits/indexes/locks into a v-grove on the Kapex.
And each extension has a telescoping extension also. These extend each
side between 7~8' IIRC. So the Kapex set up can be narrow for storage
or small cuts, about 24" wide or about 16' wide with both extensions and
their extensions.

And those extensions are calibrated, have rules and stops and a ruled
stop for the telescoping extensions similar to the gold telescoping
Incra miter fence.

It takes about 2 minutes to retrieve the extensions and attach to the Kapex.

Too much? ;~)

Yes, too much (money). Kapex, yes. Stand, no.

Well the stand and extensions were pretty pricey compared to the Kapex.
Both together 3.5 years ago was just under $2600 TTL.

The Kapex is $1500, so that's $1100 for the stand. That is rather
expensive for a few pieces of bent and painted 3/4" metal conduit. ;-)

Even worse is the router table. I looked at one of them at Highland a
few years ago (they've been closed for Covid for 15 months). The
thing was flimsy and even rocked on the floor. I'd be afraid to use
it. The fence was crap too.

For anyone but an installed, the MFT is pretty silly, IMO. It's not
very strong, seems wobbly, and the dog holes in particle board seem to
be a bad idea.

Expensive, absolutely, but with excellent dust collection and ease of
set up I do not hesitate to pull it out for a couple of cuts.

I can't imagine setting it up for just a couple of cuts. I don't even
like taking the track saw out for a couple of cuts but there really
isn't an easier way. Systainers are another one of the good ideas for
installers but expensive, less than ideal, storage for everyone else.