Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Murphy bed progress

On Fri, 21 May 2021 15:37:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/21/2021 12:24 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 21 May 2021 10:13:02 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/19/2021 5:18 PM, Leon wrote:
So the bed section, that which folds up, now only needs the hardware to
be attached, lightly sanded, and painted.

I used the Shaper Origin to cut 6 arcs on the top rails of the platform.

I used a plug-in program for Sketchup to produce the needed SVG file for
the arc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

*Glued and pinned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And getting heavier.

Much easier to visualize now. In the room and wall that it will
eventually be located.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

I understand the concept of the Murphy bed. But it does look heavy
for even that. It's going to take some pistons to lift that.

Yes, gas struts like on GM vehicle hoods, Ford too. I built one of
these about 10 years ago with the basic same hardware from the same
company. It works well and the hardware is plenty sturdy. AND the
manufacturer has plans to build it and several parts have to made out of
3/4" plywood to prevent slitting and failure at the pressure points of
the pivot.

I am right at the 80 lb weight limit for the mattress and the company
modified the plans for me for the 14" thick mattress.

Eighty pounds isn't as much as I thought. That's only a sheet of 3/4"
plywood. I was thinking three times that, anyway. Gas struts will
easily handle that.

So the bed frame that pivots will be elevated up about 4" to mate the
male and female pivot hardware.

Up and out, if I understand? Is it going to need a ladder to get into
the bed?