Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Proper Exterior Door Install?

I made an exterior door for my nephew's pool house. The glass panes are installed from one side of the door. I'll call this insertion side Side A. When installing the door onto the house, which side of the door should face to the outside, Side A or the other side? Or does it not matter which side faces outward?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2021 10:50 AM, Sonny wrote:
I made an exterior door for my nephew's pool house. The glass panes are installed from one side of the door. I'll call this insertion side Side A. When installing the door onto the house, which side of the door should face to the outside, Side A or the other side? Or does it not matter which side faces outward?

Sonny

Well, any traditional door or window that I've seen installed, the glass
is installed from the outside and glazed from the outside as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 07:50:46 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

I made an exterior door for my nephew's pool house. The glass panes are installed from one side of the door. I'll call this insertion side Side A. When installing the door onto the house, which side of the door should face to the outside, Side A or the other side? Or does it not matter which side faces outward?

Assuming you used conventional glazing methods with glazing compound
and paint, Side A should face outside. The glazing compound and paint
provide a weather resistant seal. If Side A is inside then there will
be an unsealed crack around the glass on the outside into which water
will seep, which is generally not good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 10:50:49 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
I made an exterior door for my nephew's pool house. The glass panes are installed from one side of the door. I'll call this insertion side Side A. When installing the door onto the house, which side of the door should face to the outside, Side A or the other side? Or does it not matter which side faces outward?

Sonny

Which side looks better and will be seen more often? ;-)

Whichever side is sealed to keep out (or in) wind, rain, odors, etc. should be
on the same side of whatever you are trying to keep out (or in).

Does the swing of the door impact (limit) your choices? Left or right? In or out?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks All. I kind of thought the glass is installed from the exterior. With this door it may not matter, but will install as suggested, traditionally. We'll seat and seal the panes with silicone, then apply an ogee trim. The door has been finished with a spar urethane. May apply a copper plating to bottom of door.... dogs may scratch it trying to enter. The old door was so bad the dogs helped themselves to enter. Hopefully this habit does not continue. Gonna have Channon's 14 yr old son learn some pin nailing, installing the ogee trim around window panes. Bought 19 new panes (4 extras), 8"X13", for $206. Wouldn't have thought they would cost that much.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Since this pic was taken we've remodeled the doorway, new proper rough framing (original wasn't rough framed properly) and repaired & replaced the damaged threshold. Door opens to inside right, with plenty of space there. Original doorway had a screen door, which a new one has been made and will install, later.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

More project updates:
Large fixed sash was installed.... still have some trim & facing to install.. Woodwork is being faux aged with vinegar/steel wool solution to match existing weathered exterior.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Did some measurements for another large fixed sash install on another exterior wall. Have measurements for carpenter who will frame & install 4 other sashes, each 7'3" tall, 32" wide for a proposed sun room area addition.

Fun project and Channon's wife, Jennifer, is feeding is well. Crayfish boil last weekend. Fixes good drinks at end of work day, also.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I made an exterior door for my nephew's pool house. The glass panes are installed from one side of the door. I'll call this insertion side Side A. When installing the door onto the house, which side of the door should face to the outside, Side A or the other side? Or does it not matter which side faces outward?

I'd mount the door with the glazing points and putty on the inside but
I'm sure it's done the other way. The putty probably acts as
weatherproofing.