Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Proper Exterior Door Install?

Thanks All. I kind of thought the glass is installed from the exterior. With this door it may not matter, but will install as suggested, traditionally. We'll seat and seal the panes with silicone, then apply an ogee trim. The door has been finished with a spar urethane. May apply a copper plating to bottom of door.... dogs may scratch it trying to enter. The old door was so bad the dogs helped themselves to enter. Hopefully this habit does not continue. Gonna have Channon's 14 yr old son learn some pin nailing, installing the ogee trim around window panes. Bought 19 new panes (4 extras), 8"X13", for $206. Wouldn't have thought they would cost that much.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Since this pic was taken we've remodeled the doorway, new proper rough framing (original wasn't rough framed properly) and repaired & replaced the damaged threshold. Door opens to inside right, with plenty of space there. Original doorway had a screen door, which a new one has been made and will install, later.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

More project updates:
Large fixed sash was installed.... still have some trim & facing to install.. Woodwork is being faux aged with vinegar/steel wool solution to match existing weathered exterior.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Did some measurements for another large fixed sash install on another exterior wall. Have measurements for carpenter who will frame & install 4 other sashes, each 7'3" tall, 32" wide for a proposed sun room area addition.

Fun project and Channon's wife, Jennifer, is feeding is well. Crayfish boil last weekend. Fixes good drinks at end of work day, also.

Sonny