Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood floors over concrete slab? What to Consider for proper/level install?

I'm thinking about putting hardwood floors in my den which is on a
concrete slab, no basement or sub-floor beneath it. Right now it's
just carpeted. My question is what do I need to consider/think about
or ask the contractor to ensure the floors get installed correctly and
level? For example, I know for a fact the floor is not that level,
will it need to be re-surfaced and leveled first somehow (just my
uneducated guess) or is there something they use when installing
hardwood floors over concrete, or is it just good craftmanship I need
to look for, etc? Is it recommended or common that hardwood floors
can be installed over that kind of surface. Many thanks to all.
Regards.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Atari26004Fun wrote:
I'm thinking about putting hardwood floors in my den which is on a
concrete slab, no basement or sub-floor beneath it. Right now it's
just carpeted. My question is what do I need to consider/think about
or ask the contractor to ensure the floors get installed correctly and
level? For example, I know for a fact the floor is not that level,
will it need to be re-surfaced and leveled first somehow (just my
uneducated guess) or is there something they use when installing
hardwood floors over concrete, or is it just good craftmanship I need
to look for, etc? Is it recommended or common that hardwood floors
can be installed over that kind of surface. Many thanks to all.

Do a google for hardwood floor manufacturer's association -- they have a
very informative web site although I don't recall the url otomh...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 2:40 pm, Atari26004Fun wrote:
On Nov 13, 12:33 pm, dpb wrote:

Atari26004Fun wrote:
I'm thinking about putting hardwood floors in my den which is on a
concrete slab, no basement or sub-floor beneath it. Right now it's
just carpeted. My question is what do I need to consider/think about
or ask the contractor to ensure the floors get installed correctly and
level? For example, I know for a fact the floor is not that level,
will it need to be re-surfaced and leveled first somehow (just my
uneducated guess) or is there something they use when installing
hardwood floors over concrete, or is it just good craftmanship I need
to look for, etc? Is it recommended or common that hardwood floors
can be installed over that kind of surface. Many thanks to all.

Do a google for hardwood floor manufacturer's association -- they have a
very informative web site although I don't recall the url otomh...

--

Thanks..... - Hide quoted text -

http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/display_article.asp?ID=300

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm thinking about putting hardwood floors in my den which is on a
concrete slab, no basement or sub-floor beneath it. Right now it's
just carpeted. My question is what do I need to consider/think about
or ask the contractor to ensure the floors get installed correctly and
level?

Hardwood is not recommended over concrete unless a vapor barrier and
insulations is fir installed, This means adding 2 x 4 sleepers. Engineered
wood, however, can be done with the proper barrier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Atari26004Fun wrote:
I'm thinking about putting hardwood floors in my den which is on a
concrete slab, no basement or sub-floor beneath it. Right now it's
just carpeted. My question is what do I need to consider/think about
or ask the contractor to ensure the floors get installed correctly and
level? For example, I know for a fact the floor is not that level,
will it need to be re-surfaced and leveled first somehow (just my
uneducated guess) or is there something they use when installing
hardwood floors over concrete, or is it just good craftmanship I need
to look for, etc? Is it recommended or common that hardwood floors
can be installed over that kind of surface. Many thanks to all.
Regards.

Not level so much as flat.