Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Firewood distance from Garage

I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 00:01:06 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

If you have carpenter ants in your clime, I'd not store it *anywhere*
around the house. Not where it's wet, anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.
An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.
Puckdropper

What is the concern ?

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

If you have carpenter ants in your clime, I'd not store it *anywhere*
around the house. Not where it's wet, anyway.

I agree with what was said above, that the main problem is insects. and
add snakes, small animals and birds.

While we have carpenter ants the ones that cause the most damage are the
termites.

I have our wood pile on a the back of a plant oasis that is about 80'
from the nearest point on of our house. I have the wood stacked on
rails that are supported by cinder blocks. This gives room for air to
circulate all around the fire wood. The rails were cheap as they are
about 3" diameter and 10' lengths of the trunks of young catalpa trees.

Since it is behind the plant oasis it can not be seen from the house but
still close enough the patio fire ring to be convenient.

Negatives are it on the back side of the plant oasis, and the plants
sometime try to hid in the wood pile. I also have to use the string
trimmer to cut the grass from under the rails.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message ...

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

If the wood is clean of carpenter ants and termites and you're primarily
concerned about drying it, I'd leave a gap of 2"-3" between the wood and
building. You can do that and still have a steady pile by having the
occasional piece touch the building. Sort of like how a brick tie holds the
brick veneer to the building while maintaining the space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper"Â* wrote in message ...

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha).Â* How far away
from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood?Â* It's going on racks,
but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

If the wood is clean of carpenter ants and termites and you're primarily
concerned about drying it, I'd leave a gap of 2"-3" between the wood and
building. You can do that and still have a steady pile by having the
occasional piece touch the building. Sort of like how a brick tie holds
the brick veneer to the building while maintaining the space.

If you have a contract for insect control, the contract may be voided if
you have wood stored 2"-3" from the house regardless of the current
state of insects.

In the southern US you almost have to have a insect control contract.
While I have never experienced it I have heard is required by some
insurance companies and mortgage companies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 20:38:01 -0500, knuttle

[...]

In the far north, termites aren't a problem. Termites seem to dislike
the cold as much as I do anymore. However, carpenter ants more than
make up for them. DAMHIK

In the southern US you almost have to have a insect control contract.
While I have never experienced it I have heard is required by some
insurance companies and mortgage companies.

I didn't have a contract for this house until this year. I found some
in the frame of the basement doors last summer so had a company come
in right quick. The damage was limited to the frame and that not too
badly but it was a wake up. I have an unfinished basement so thought
I'd catch anything right away. I probably would (did, in fact) but
sleep is more than worth the price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"knuttle" wrote in message ...

If the wood is clean of carpenter ants and termites and you're primarily
concerned about drying it, I'd leave a gap of 2"-3" between the wood and
building. You can do that and still have a steady pile by having the
occasional piece touch the building. Sort of like how a brick tie holds
the brick veneer to the building while maintaining the space.

If you have a contract for insect control, the contract may be voided if
you have wood stored 2"-3" from the house regardless of the current state
of insects.

In the southern US you almost have to have a insect control contract. While
I have never experienced it I have heard is required by some insurance
companies and mortgage companies.

True. It's easy to forget that folks here are scattered around the globe and
have different conditions... Me, I'm in the NE US. Clean sound wood is what
I take for firewood when I'm felling trees. Anything with rot, black ants,
grubs, or evidence of borers stays in the woods. The worst thing that
happens occasionally is over-wintering mosquitos hiding in the crevices of
the bark awaken in the house. It is odd to see the mosquitos flying near the
windows with snow on the ground and a frozen lake in the background. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 22:00:10 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"knuttle" wrote in message ...

[...]

Note that in CT one is required to have a permit to bring firewood
across the state border. Apparently our legislature, which mostly
represents people who spend most of their waking hours in Manhattan,
is unaware that insects are capable of flight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"knuttle" wrote in message ...

[...]

There are insects that do not fly but can be carried with the wood an
infect a new area. When the emeral ash bore was a problem you coulnd
not bring wood from outside of the state parks for your camp fires. I
believe there are similar regulation where ever there are this type of
insect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Note that in CT one is required to have a permit to bring firewood
across the state border. Apparently our legislature, which mostly
represents people who spend most of their waking hours in Manhattan,
is unaware that insects are capable of flight.

NY has had transportation restrictions related to the emerald ash borer for
the past 5-6 years, perhaps more. I believe there is still a 50 mile
transportation limit unless the wood is heat treated (not kiln dried). You
are also supposed to complete a self-issued permit that states where the
wood originated, the destination, and the quantity. They have changed the
regulations a number of times in the past 5-6 years so I check before I move
any wood around. What I've cut for myself hasn't moved more than about 30
miles.

Regarding the EAB... there are no live ash trees in this area. The ones
still standing are collapsing like crazy. Some break off mid-stem, some
break off near the ground, and some break off at the roots. I stay out of
the woods on windy days as I've seen trees break off and drop large tops...
the small branches are long gone. I've cut down and/or cut up many 100s of
them. I took about 50-55 off my parents' property alone. Most I've felled or
cleared from a couple rail trails that I help maintain. Believe me, when you
work on 15+ miles of trail there are a lot of trees falling year round, and
most have been ash for the past 5-6 years. That is sad enough, but now most
are so far gone they aren't even good firewood.

I originally took Game of Logging training to do volunteer upland wildlife
habitat work but the vast majority of the volunteer cutting has been on rail
trails and land trust properties. I scored a bunch of beaver killed cherry a
few years back and have that wood stickered in my lumber shed. No good
walnut thus far... it's all been rotten (the beavers haven't touched any so
there are no good ones to remove).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Emerald Ash Borers fly just fine.
https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/jrnl/2010/nrs_2010_taylor_001.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 7:01 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

Puckdropper

My last house in CT had concrete poured wall for 4 feet so I put it
right up to the wall about 3 1/2' high. Never had a problem in 30
years. If it was siding I'd keep it a couple of feet away.

I also sprayed the wood stack with insecticide in spring or early summer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:08:48 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/6/2021 7:01 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

Puckdropper

My last house in CT had concrete poured wall for 4 feet so I put it
right up to the wall about 3 1/2' high. Never had a problem in 30
years. If it was siding I'd keep it a couple of feet away.

I also sprayed the wood stack with insecticide in spring or early summer.

You werent concerned with burning wood that was sprayed with insecticide?

Any nearby neighbors?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 11:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

No, it would be gone by the time it was burned. Same stuff is used on
vegetables, flowers, lawns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 6:01 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

Puckdropper

Off the ground will help prevent premature rot and never store any wood
near/against your structures. What eats firewood will eat the structure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"knuttle" wrote in message ...

[...]

There is nothing keeping "black ants" (carpenter ants) from infesting
the wood after transport. It's a very bad idea keeping wood anywhere
close to the house, particularly where it can get wet. I lived in NY
and VT for just under 40 years and found out the hard way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"knuttle" wrote in message ...

[...]

And in the South, it is a subterranean termite issue more than ants.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"knuttle" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yes, and south of here it's not only subterranean termites but flying
ones. To treat them the house has to be tented. Much bucks.