Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Firewood distance from Garage

On 3/6/2021 7:50 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 00:01:06 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I can't find good information on the Internet, so was hoping you guys could
provide a bit of expertise.

An ice storm took down several large limbs and I've been cutting them up
for firewood (my latest woodworking project, ha ha). How far away from the
garage and house do I need to store the wood? It's going on racks, but the
only hard surface is a small patio next to the garage.

If you have carpenter ants in your clime, I'd not store it *anywhere*
around the house. Not where it's wet, anyway.

I agree with what was said above, that the main problem is insects. and
add snakes, small animals and birds.

While we have carpenter ants the ones that cause the most damage are the
termites.

I have our wood pile on a the back of a plant oasis that is about 80'
from the nearest point on of our house. I have the wood stacked on
rails that are supported by cinder blocks. This gives room for air to
circulate all around the fire wood. The rails were cheap as they are
about 3" diameter and 10' lengths of the trunks of young catalpa trees.

Since it is behind the plant oasis it can not be seen from the house but
still close enough the patio fire ring to be convenient.

Negatives are it on the back side of the plant oasis, and the plants
sometime try to hid in the wood pile. I also have to use the string
trimmer to cut the grass from under the rails.