Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2021 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

I made my work bench on wheels, and the same height as my table saw.

This permits me to use the workbench as an extention table for the saw.
For ripping it is an out feed table, and moves around the saw as I
work on different things and make differenct cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2021 3:31 PM, knuttle wrote:
On 1/26/2021 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at
the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new
homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is
not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might
not
always use the right bit. ;-)

I made my work bench on wheels, and the same height as my table saw.

This permits me to use the workbench as an extention table for the saw.
Â*For ripping it is an out feed table, and moves around the saw as I
work on different things and make differenct cuts.

Ask her what height she wants. She likely just needs something to open
paint cans and or simple tasks like that.
Different difficult tasks require different heights. I prefer taller
for assembly, shorter for hand work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 4:31:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 1/26/2021 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

I made my work bench on wheels, and the same height as my table saw.

This permits me to use the workbench as an extention table for the saw.
For ripping it is an out feed table, and moves around the saw as I
work on different things and make differenct cuts.

That's nice to know, but it doesn't address the "proper height of a workbench"
question nor does it even remotely apply to the situation I asked about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

It really depends on what you're using the bench _for_. The wrist rule
likely derives from the ideal height for planing lumber. I have both
a traditional height woodworking bench with face and tail vise, and two taller
(40")[*] benches for general assembly, electronics, tool boxes and a disk sander.

For non-woodworking tasks, I'd recommend higher, closer to the
eyes for detail work without bending over.
[*] for someone 195 cm, adjust as appropriate for end-user.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 4:36:00 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Asking her what height she wants would be like asking a new driver what size
engine they want. ;-)

Never having had a workbench before and never having done much DIY (previously
lived in rental properties) she's not really going to know what height her workbench
should be. A year from now, maybe, but not yet.

Different difficult tasks require different heights. I prefer taller
for assembly, shorter for hand work.

But how short? Is your hand work station at wrist level?

And yes, it's for opening paint cans, maybe staining a shelf kit, polishing the
antique brass & glass door knobs we just picked up at an architectural salvage
place, etc.

Sounds like "general work" which leads to the "wrist height" standard.

My shop workbench is about 4" higher than my wrist but I also have a large
work area/defacto assembly table in the main part of the basement that
is at my wrist height, but not because of any plan. That just happens to be
the height of a 2 x 4 stiffened sheet of 3/4 plywood on saw horses. ;-)

I stood at both of them today, trying to decide if I would rather work at the wrist
height table vs. the taller workbench, but after 35 years of using the workbench,
it's a tough call. I'll have to play around a bit more.

BTW with my daughter's wrists at 27", that would be a very short work bench
for anyone else. I'm 5'4", her boyfriend is at least 5'9". Maybe I'll build it at 30"
and see if she likes it. This one is just going to be a basic 2 x 4 bench so she
(and I) will have something to use. It can be made shorter quite easily. I plan to
build her a nicer one, but she (we) need something now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 5:28:36 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

It really depends on what you're using the bench _for_. The wrist rule
likely derives from the ideal height for planing lumber. I have both
a traditional height woodworking bench with face and tail vise, and two taller
(40")[*] benches for general assembly, electronics, tool boxes and a disk sander.

For non-woodworking tasks, I'd recommend higher, closer to the
eyes for detail work without bending over.

[*] for someone 195 cm, adjust as appropriate for end-user.

195 cm = 76.8"

40 / 76.8 = 0.52

0.52 * 61" = 31.7"

That's 4.7" higher than her wrists and certainly seems more reasonable than a 27"
workbench.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 16:31:16 -0500, knuttle
wrote:

On 1/26/2021 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

I made my work bench on wheels, and the same height as my table saw.

This permits me to use the workbench as an extention table for the saw.
For ripping it is an out feed table, and moves around the saw as I
work on different things and make differenct cuts.

I would talk to the person and find out if she had any preferences and
any other considerations or pet peeves. Also when you say "general
purpose" that can cover a lot of territory. What does she actually
envision herself doing with it?

If you need a starting point ask her about the heights of the kitchen
counters and the dining room table. Are they "just right" or "a
little high" or "a little low" or is it "whatever beeping MORON
designed this beeping kitchen needs to be horsewhipped"?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

+ 1

It seems like a personal preference and task-related thing -
rather than a rule-of-thumb.
Sitting or standing at the bench is another variable ..
some people are not comfortable sitting on a tall stool.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check out this adjustable height headboard, noting the T nuts 2" apart. Make each work bench leg using two boards connected by T nuts and bolts. Three 3/8" nut/blots per leg should be plenty strong for any work bench. .... Or some similar build.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 14:31:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

TNew driver? hat's easy. *BIG*

Never having had a workbench before and never having done much DIY (previously
lived in rental properties) she's not really going to know what height her workbench
should be. A year from now, maybe, but not yet.

Make it so that it can be easily modified. For general purpose, I
kinda like table height (~29")
Different difficult tasks require different heights. I prefer taller
for assembly, shorter for hand work.

But how short? Is your hand work station at wrist level?

a few inches below elbow? Think of a god planing height.

And yes, it's for opening paint cans, maybe staining a shelf kit, polishing the
antique brass & glass door knobs we just picked up at an architectural salvage
place, etc.

I like mine higher, then I have a drafting chair to sit in. It saves
the legs. I probably should get some rubber mats.

Sounds like "general work" which leads to the "wrist height" standard.

Seems low to me.

[...]

Makes sense. It's easier to 2x4s shorter than longer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I can pretty much tell you that she doesn't have a vision. She didn't
even know that she needed a workbench until I asked her where she
wanted me to put it.

It's my 30-ish YO daughter. She just bought her first house. She had
mentioned getting some shelving units so she could get her stuff
off the basement floor. I said "Just make sure you leave room for a
workbench. You currently have no place to open a can a paint or stain
a shelf or anything like that." She's more of a bookworm than a DIY'er
so the idea of workbench just wasn't something she has even considered.

On the other hand, there's a lot of work to do at the house and *I* need
a place to work when I'm there. It's 2.5 hours away, so it's going to be
a weekend here and there.

If you need a starting point ask her about the heights of the kitchen
counters and the dining room table. Are they "just right" or "a
little high" or "a little low" or is it "whatever beeping MORON
designed this beeping kitchen needs to be horsewhipped"?

I've decided to throw together a basic 2 x 4 workbench to get her
started. She's 5' -1". I'm going with about 31". Easy enough to make
it taller or shorter once she's had a chance to use it. I just finished
cutting all the pieces, creating sort of a kit. Eventually, if it makes
sense, I'll built her a nicer one, with drawers, etc. She'll have to prove
that she deserves it by beating this one up. ;-)

I'll toss it together Friday night so it'll be available for my weekend
projects:

- Install the drawers I made for her kitchen base cabinets.
- Install a garbage disposal
- Replace some beat-up receptacles with new ones.
- Whatever else she has on her list, if I have time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Scratch this:

I'll toss it together Friday night so it'll be available for my weekend
projects.

Change it to this:

She and I will toss it together Friday night so it'll be available for my
weekend projects:
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2021 4:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I do not know. I would not know even if I were considering building
another bench. The Paulk work bench wooed be too high, for me, for hand
work. But it is great at everything else.

And yes, it's for opening paint cans, maybe staining a shelf kit, polishing the
antique brass & glass door knobs we just picked up at an architectural salvage
place, etc.

Then go TS height. A good compromise.

Sounds like "general work" which leads to the "wrist height" standard.

I don't think wrist height will even come into play unless she will be
using a hand plane and or chisels. Staining will be all different
heights so no height will be correct or incorrect.

[...]

So 30" is dinner table height. Test there. 36" is kitchen counter
height, and test there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Have you considered making the legs adjustable?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 9:48:45 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

- Install the drawers I made for her kitchen base cabinets.
- Install a garbage disposal
- Replace some beat-up receptacles with new ones.
- Whatever else she has on her list, if I have time.

Installing drawers in kitchen cabinets is done at the drawer height of the kitchen cabinets. About 30" high. Garbage disposals are installed laying on your back underneath the sink cabinet with your hands reaching up to the underside of the sink. About 20" high. Electrical receptacles are about 12" high in the wall. You always install those in the wall. Generally you are down on one knee working. Some outlets are up at counter height. About 40" high above the countertop. To be honest, all you are talking about are tables in the basement. Just buy some heavy duty folding tables and set them up.

Woodworking benches are different than tables. Tables are what you are needing. Woodworking benches have vises and are made to assemble and work on wood. Power or hand tools. Vises on the bench to hold wood. I have a tall woodworking bench. Its great for most things. But is really too high for hand planing. It has vises at both ends.

The idea of asking about the dining table height and the kitchen counter height being correct is good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 11:58:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

If one is looking to buy a bench, for the price you can't do better
than these, IMO:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-adj-workbench-ultrahd/prod22651720?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1
https://www.samsclub.com/p/workbench-height-adjustable/prod21252021?xid=plp_product_3
https://www.samsclub.com/p/72-inch-workbench-height-adjustable/prod22000197?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_4

The idea of asking about the dining table height and the kitchen counter height being correct is good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That sounds familiar ;-)

However, that daughter has now progressed to diagnosing and replacing
a bad pump in the dishwasher and retubing the fluorescent fixture in
the kitchen with LED "bulbs". I did install the gas logs in the
fireplace in place of the gas lighter but that's an advanced project
for a lot of DIY people.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 2:58:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 9:48:45 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

- Install the drawers I made for her kitchen base cabinets.
- Install a garbage disposal
- Replace some beat-up receptacles with new ones.
- Whatever else she has on her list, if I have time.

Installing drawers in kitchen cabinets is done at the drawer height of the kitchen cabinets. About 30" high.

Installing slides is done on a workbench. It's nice to have a solid, dedicated spot to work.
Maybe like a workbench.

Garbage disposals are installed laying on your back underneath the sink cabinet with your hands
reaching up to the underside of the sink. About 20" high.

Attaching the cord for the garbage disposal can be done on a workbench. Cutting pipes for the drains can be
done on a workbench. It's nice to have a solid, dedicated spot to work. Maybe like a workbench.

Electrical receptacles are about 12" high in the wall. You always install those in the wall.

Really? *Always*? Ever heard of surface mount wiring? Boxes and tracks that need to be cut? See: "workbench".

Generally you are down on one knee working. Some outlets are up at counter height. About 40" high above the countertop.

Some receptacles (this one) are under sinks. Some of them (this one) are surface mounted and will need to be
tapped into for a switch.

https://i.imgur.com/6Ro7gHB.jpg

To be honest, all you are talking about are tables in the basement. Just buy some heavy duty folding tables and set them up.

No, I'm not talking about tables in the basement, you are.

I'm talking about a workbench. A workbench that will have a vise. A workbench that will have a sturdy work surface and a lower shelf
for storage. A workbench that can be hammered on, sawn on, soldered on, drilled on. A workbench with a peg board back for hand
tools, rolls of tape, etc. A workbench that will have a power strip for power tools and other items that need electricity.

You know, a bench upon which work will be done.

Woodworking benches are different than tables.

No ****.

Tables are what you are needing.

Already addressed.

Woodworking benches have vises and are made to assemble and work on wood. Power or hand tools. Vises on the bench to hold
wood. I have a tall woodworking bench. Its great for most things. But is really too high for hand planing. It has vises at both ends.

Why are you telling me this? Show me where I used the words "woodworking bench".

The idea of asking about the dining table height and the kitchen counter height being correct is good.

Well, at least you got one thing right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Good for her!

That's kind of the point of all this. If I (we) build a workbench, she'll
have a spot ready made when the urge hits her to build or fix something.

If she has to work in the kitchen or dining room or on a rickety table in the
basement, constantly pulling tools out of the tool bag she has now, it won't
be as much fun and may not even get done. However, if she has a sturdy,
dedicated spot for her tools, both hand and power; a spot that doesn't have
to be cleaned up immediately; a spot where she doesn't have to have to
worry about damaging the *spot*, she may someday become a DIY'er
like your daughter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:54:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

If one is looking to buy a bench, for the price you can't do better
than these, IMO:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-adj-workbench-ultrahd/prod22651720?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1
https://www.samsclub.com/p/workbench-height-adjustable/prod21252021?xid=plp_product_3
https://www.samsclub.com/p/72-inch-workbench-height-adjustable/prod22000197?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_4

For about $135 one can buy a Simpson Strong Ties hardware kit and all the wood required to build this. (Done)

https://i.imgur.com/rL5d5SV.jpg

Six 2 x4's
One 4 x 8 sheet of plywood
One 2 x 4 sheet of pegboard

Then they can cut all the pieces at home, (Done), load them into the van and take them to their daughter's house.

Then they can say "Daughter, go grab that drill you got for Christmas and let's put this thing together." (Bonding!)

If she helps build it, it will become her own.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll take on most things but for some reason gas scares me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 15:54:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:54:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

If one is looking to buy a bench, for the price you can't do better
than these, IMO:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-adj-workbench-ultrahd/prod22651720?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1
https://www.samsclub.com/p/workbench-height-adjustable/prod21252021?xid=plp_product_3
https://www.samsclub.com/p/72-inch-workbench-height-adjustable/prod22000197?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_4

For about $135 one can buy a Simpson Strong Ties hardware kit and all the wood required to build this. (Done)

https://i.imgur.com/rL5d5SV.jpg

Six 2 x4's
One 4 x 8 sheet of plywood
One 2 x 4 sheet of pegboard

I don't see an 1-1/2" laminated maple top there.

Then they can cut all the pieces at home, (Done), load them into the van and take them to their daughter's house.

Then they can say "Daughter, go grab that drill you got for Christmas and let's put this thing together." (Bonding!)

If she helps build it, it will become her own.

But if you want splinters... ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Ditto. Electricity is simple. I don't much like plumbing (too much
breaks - water corrodes everything) but I will if forced to. I won't
touch gas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Soon after I bought my house I had the brother of somebody SWMBO
worked with put in a new furnace for me. Sort of discounted side-job
that had to be done on a Saturday morning.

The furnace had it's own shut-off, but they needed to re-pipe something
before that shut-off, so they asked me to shut-off the main valve inside
the house. I shut it off, but it turns out that the furnace was piped *before*
what we thought was the main shut-off. The only way to shut-off the gas
to the furnace was to shut it off at the meter, call the gas company to turn
it back on to test the furnace, etc. We didn't have time for all that.

After we opened all the doors to get some air moving, they put together
a short piece of pipe with a shut-off on it. They unscrewed the live pipe
where they needed to (hissss) and quickly screwed in the pipe with the
shut-off.

It smelled pretty bad but they got it done and moved on with rest of the job.
Dumb, I know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:54:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

If one is looking to buy a bench, for the price you can't do better
than these, IMO:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-adj-workbench-ultrahd/prod22651720?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1
https://www.samsclub.com/p/workbench-height-adjustable/prod21252021?xid=plp_product_3
https://www.samsclub.com/p/72-inch-workbench-height-adjustable/prod22000197?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_4

For about $135 one can buy a Simpson Strong Ties hardware kit and all the wood required to build this. (Done)

https://i.imgur.com/rL5d5SV.jpg

Six 2 x4's
One 4 x 8 sheet of plywood
One 2 x 4 sheet of pegboard

I don't see an 1-1/2" laminated maple top there.

Remember, this is a "test bench". If she uses it as a workbench, I'll build her a nice one.
If I stop over and find that she using it to fold laundry, that'll save me some work.

Then they can cut all the pieces at home, (Done), load them into the van and take them to their daughter's house.

Then they can say "Daughter, go grab that drill you got for Christmas and let's put this thing together." (Bonding!)

If she helps build it, it will become her own.

But if you want splinters... ;-)

I'll bring my trim router so she can round over the edges. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Going to stick my nose where it may not appreciated (again). Quick, easy and usually inexpensive solution for the top, whether it's a table or a workbench, is a solid core door. I have picked them up for $25 or less, and at 1..75" thick, and ~3' x ~7' footprint, it makes for a decent size top. Suggest you make sure it is not mineral filled fire door, as they are not only extremely heavy, do not drill well for dogs or fasteners.
Good luck!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Appreciated. I looked at solid core doors at a salvage place the other day.. $30-$35 where I was.

I'd still need something for the bottom shelf.

For the 2' x 4' bench I'm going with, a half sheet of 3/4" for the top and half sheet of 1/2" for
the lower shelf came to just under $50. No waste, no cutting to size. I'm adding an extra cross
support for both the top and bottom just for a little more rigidity of those surfaces. They were
cut from the waste of the 2 x 4 framing members anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/rL5d5SV.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2021 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at

the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new

homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is

not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she

might not
always use the right bit.

I don't know about all of that. I like a desk height for sitting work
(I don't care for working on a bar stool) and higher for standing work.
That being said height is also a function of what I am working on.
Overhauling a big block V8 is better done on a low bench, but mostly I
just use my engine stand for that.

I suspect he answer is going to be similar to, "What's the best height
for an anvil?" For old school smiths who did everything most liked
knuckle height. More modern smiths seem to prefer wrist height. I've
been known to use the flat on my bench vise for smaller parts for
delicate metal beating because its much higher and easier for light
work. For a power hammer it might be much different than for hand
hammering even with similar size work. It depends.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a couple of benches made from solid core doors, with either MDF
or melamine on top as a sacrificial surface. I put ash (I have a
bunch) edging on the door to keep the top from sliding and make it
easy to replace.

Solid core doors are getting harder to find and aren't $25 anymore. At
least around here they're more like $100. The other thing I worry
about is dogs into the door. Since it's essentially MDF in the
middle, how much force can it take and will the holes stay round? I
haven't tried drilling the holes yet but it's a concern.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Good idea but maybe a hollow core door with a slab of MDF on top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:15:01 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...72134473664253

This is what you need. $73 at Staples. Do a Google search for "folding table". The folding legs for these tables are sold by various places. Do a Google search on "folding table legs". About $35. You supply the top. Either 3/4" or 1.5" plywood or MDF if you want to make the top and save money maybe. If you want to easily increase the height, just put a 2x4 on either end under the legs. 3.5" high. Drill a couple 1" deep holes to fit the legs and the top is now 2.5" higher. Easy to add. Use either 2x4 or 2x6 for different extra heights. If you want to add a vise, Harbor Freight sells many machinist vises. Bolt them to a board and set them on top of the table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Exterior solid core that I have picked up are either stave core or OSB. Have not come across MDF core, unless I misunderstood your response.
CL has been my source for solid core doors. If you have a ReStore nearby, doors you might get lucky. Timing is everything
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 12:26:34 PM UTC-8, wrote:

Solid core doors are getting harder to find and aren't $25 anymore. At
least around here they're more like $100. The other thing I worry
about is dogs into the door. Since it's essentially MDF in the
middle...

When solid core doors were available in the old days, they were lumbercore (i.e.
glued-up hardwood) with a veneer. That glued-up hardwood was heavy
and expensive, and durable. The glue, though, is poor (I have such a door, the veneer
skin has started to peel).

Wood doors nowadays are OK for doors, but MDF? ...not for benches. Liquid nails and 2x4s is
good enough for utility workspace, and much better than something that can't take
a hammer blow or stand still while I use a plastic bench-hook miter box to cut
a stick to length. How could you ever attach good legs to MDF?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 18:42:29 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

[...]

I think Brian is right, it's OSB core.

You don't attach legs to the door, you attach the door to the legs.
The door forms a solid, *flat*, surface. It's really not structural.
Even laminated wood isn't a structural component of a bench, perhaps
other than stiffening. The key is that it has to be flat.

I don't use door benches for hammering (I have laminated benches such
as I gave links to yesterday), rather for cutting and assembly (two
separate benches). I would have used one for an outfeed table too,
but couldn't find any more doors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

That's nice to know, but it doesn't address the "proper height of a workbench"
question nor does it even remotely apply to the situation I asked about.

In the spirit of "not even remotely applying to your situation"

Roy & the Schwarz offer a height alternative with the Low Roman workbench:
https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights-shop-roman-work-bench/

A short treatise:
https://lostartpress.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/roman-workbenches-1.pdf

A Sculptors Version of the Low Roman Workbench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vc9D0WAX7o

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote in
:

I'll take on most things but for some reason gas scares me.

I heard the explosion. From where I was sitting, it sounded like a door
being shut hard. Fire trucks from all over started making their way up the
hill to a place about 1 1/2 miles away. We didn't know what was going on,
but firetrucks rarely frequent our road and almost never more than 1 at a
time.

Their house was in pieces. Their cars were burnt. They had been thrown
out of the house by the explosion and were lucky to be alive. Their son,
who was normally home that time of night, was out working late. Chances
are good he would have been killed by the explosion. It's a miracle the
parents weren't.

Four and a half years ago, a gas leak destroyed a house, cars, and almost
destroyed a family. Is it any wonder that gas scares me as well?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 5:30:34 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

Used to think that way, but more concerned about working with electricity. At least plumbing/gas gives a hint that there's a problem, either visibly with water or smell with gas. Joints can be tested with soapy solution as well (or as my neighbor does, old school master plumber, with a match)...NOT my recommendation btw...
Not that it should be taken lightly, (as you have stated, the results can be devastating), so if you are concerned about doing, or being able to do, any work yourself safely or correctly, should def consider leaving it to the pros...
Climbing down from soapbox...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2021 5:30 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

Any thing can be handled WITH THE PROPER SAFETY PRACTICES. It is when
you neglect those practices that accidents happen.

In the winter when doing a lot of work on my table saw, I turn off all
spark producing devices, as dust like volatile liquids can explode with
an ignition source and the right concentration. With saw dust the
chances of explosion are extremely low. But the chances of one house
blowing up from a gas leak are extremely low.