David

Default What type of wood is this?

I recently purchased a baby changing table for $20.00 because it looked
rickety and cheap. My goal was to do a quick refinish job and tighten the
joints so it would be in better condition. (My plan is not to make something
that will last forever, just long enough to get our baby out of diapers).

The existing coating was a white pickled looking finish that was peeling
away and seemed more like melamine than finish. I started sanding the pieces
today and the wood underneath actually seems to be quite nice. It seems very
dense and sands very smooth without splintering. (My previous project was an
oak dresser that splintered if I used any kind of low-grit sandpaper on a
random-pad sander, so this seemed much easier to work with). In addition to
this, the grain on the wood is actually quite attractive to me and it seems
strange it would be nearly covered by the dull white finish. I am not sure
if that was the original factory finish or if it was added by one of the
previous owners.

Anyways, I was just curious if someone could help me figure out what kind of
wood it is? Comparing the grain to some desks I have, it looks like it might
be birch, but I am no expert, so I figure I would open this up to the
masses!

The pictures are he
http://www.kryogenic.org/wood/wood.htm

Let me know if you can identify this.

--
Thanks,
David

David Zaret

my guess is white maple. i'd put money on it. if so, it's a very hard,
durable wood, and with a little refinishing it'll be beautiful.

granted, i might lose my money, but it wouldn't be the first time.

good luck,

-- dz

David wrote:
[...]

Bjarte Runderheim

"David Zaret" skrev i melding
m...

my guess is white maple. i'd put money on it. if so, it's a very hard,
durable wood, and with a little refinishing it'll be beautiful.

granted, i might lose my money, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Could it not be beechwood?
Especially the sideshot of a plank, (the dotty part)
seems to indicate to me that beech is a strong possibility.

Bjarte

George

Won't lose it to me. Soft maple is my choice, too. If the color's off,
could be something like alder, though.

What it definitely is not is birch.

"David Zaret" wrote in message
m...
my guess is white maple. i'd put money on it. if so, it's a very hard,
durable wood, and with a little refinishing it'll be beautiful.

granted, i might lose my money, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyways, I was just curious if someone could help me figure out what

kind of
wood it is? Comparing the grain to some desks I have, it looks like it

might
be birch, but I am no expert, so I figure I would open this up to the
masses!

The pictures are he
http://www.kryogenic.org/wood/wood.htm

Let me know if you can identify this.

MikeG

In article ,
says...
[...]

Rubber wood maybe

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Mike Hide

Maple me thinks....mjh

Dave Balderstone

Sure looks like maple to me.

djb
Fred the Red Shirt

"Mike Hide" wrote in message news:LnlWc.74844$TI1.67537@attbi_s52...
Maple me thinks....mjh

Yep, that's maple. The clincher is the tiny ray-flecks (not
pores) in the quarter sawn grain that show up in maple and
cherry only when the grain is very close to perpendicular
to the surface.

--

FF
David

So the consensus seems to be Maple. I am amazed. Seems like Maple is pretty
expensive but this thing wasnt well taken care of.

Thanks for all the help!
--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
m...
"Mike Hide" wrote in message

Maple me thinks....mjh

Yep, that's maple. The clincher is the tiny ray-flecks (not
pores) in the quarter sawn grain that show up in maple and
cherry only when the grain is very close to perpendicular
to the surface.

--

FF

patriarch

"David" wrote in
:

So the consensus seems to be Maple. I am amazed. Seems like Maple is
pretty expensive but this thing wasnt well taken care of.

Thanks for all the help!

Could be soft maple, which isn't all that pricey, or all that soft. Small
quantities of 4/4, s2s1e, in the SF Bay Area, $3.10/bf

Patriarch
Fred the Red Shirt

"David" wrote in message . ..
So the consensus seems to be Maple. I am amazed. Seems like Maple is pretty
expensive but this thing wasnt well taken care of.

Expensive compared to what? In most places Maple is cheaper than
walnut, cherry, mahogany, or birch, and it is harder and more
durable than those. Often Oak is cheaper than maple, but not
by a lot.

I think you'll find that a lot of school furniture was made of
maple. I think the student deks back when I was in school
were made from maple ply and sheet steel, and the maple ply
may have been maple all the way through. It was very tough
stuff, usually outlasted the steel.

--

FF
Fred the Red Shirt

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message ...

Could it not be beechwood?
Especially the sideshot of a plank, (the dotty part)
seems to indicate to me that beech is a strong possibility.

The ray flecks in beech are more prominant, though less so than
in oak. A fair amount of modern 'maple' furniture is made from
beech, just like the oak furniture at K-Mart is made from
rubber wood.

--

FF
David

Well, I am not a connoisseur of wood pricing, but I know that paying $20.00
for this selection of nice wood seems to be much cheaper than I could buy
even average pine at Home Depot or Rockler. So its not that this wood is
necessarily comparatively expensive, just seems like its nicer than I would
have expected for the price I paid.

--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell
( Intrepid )
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
m...
"David" wrote in message

. ..
So the consensus seems to be Maple. I am amazed. Seems like Maple is

pretty
expensive but this thing wasnt well taken care of.

Expensive compared to what? In most places Maple is cheaper than
walnut, cherry, mahogany, or birch, and it is harder and more
durable than those. Often Oak is cheaper than maple, but not
by a lot.

I think you'll find that a lot of school furniture was made of
maple. I think the student deks back when I was in school
were made from maple ply and sheet steel, and the maple ply
may have been maple all the way through. It was very tough
stuff, usually outlasted the steel.

--

FF

patriarch

"David" wrote in
:

Well, I am not a connoisseur of wood pricing, but I know that paying
$20.00 for this selection of nice wood seems to be much cheaper than I
could buy even average pine at Home Depot or Rockler. So its not that
this wood is necessarily comparatively expensive, just seems like its
nicer than I would have expected for the price I paid.

Life's great that way, sometimes, isn't it?

Enjoy the new addition to the family.

Patriarch

Fred the Red Shirt

"David" wrote in message . ..
Well, I am not a connoisseur of wood pricing, but I know that paying $20.00
for this selection of nice wood seems to be much cheaper than I could buy
even average pine at Home Depot or Rockler. So its not that this wood is
necessarily comparatively expensive, just seems like its nicer than I would
have expected for the price I paid.

A few years back I looked at some $13.99/bf curly maple at a hardwood
lumber store in Balmore, MD. At the same time Sandy Pond, about 100
miles North of there, sold curly maple for $2.50/bf, $3.50/bf for
fiddle back I think. Possible the store bought theirs from Sandy
Pond.

On the West coast poplar is more expensive than pine, On the East
coat pine is more expensive than Poplar.

So what you have learned is that if you want a real good price for
good lumber you don't buy at Home Depot or Rockler. OTOH you may
find it convenient enough to buy there to be worth paying the higher
price.

--

FF
J. Clarke

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..
So the consensus seems to be Maple. I am amazed. Seems like Maple is
pretty expensive but this thing wasnt well taken care of.

Expensive compared to what? In most places Maple is cheaper than
walnut, cherry, mahogany, or birch, and it is harder and more
durable than those.

Minor nit--"durable" usually refers to decay resistance--maple is not
particularly good in that regard--walnut, cherry, and mahogany are all mure
durable in that regard than maple.

Often Oak is cheaper than maple, but not
by a lot.

I think you'll find that a lot of school furniture was made of
maple. I think the student deks back when I was in school
were made from maple ply and sheet steel, and the maple ply
may have been maple all the way through. It was very tough
stuff, usually outlasted the steel.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Charlie Self

David asks:

Good tip. In that case, how does one new to the trade find all these other
sources? I am in Renton, WA.

Start by checking www.woodfinder.com. You'll find at least a couple local or
nearly local sources there, I'd guess.

Check FWW ads. Check the other magazines for ads in the back of the book.

I don't know how a search on google would do, but it will take you only
seconds: "hardwood dealers" and so on. I got 126 responses to that particular
request, including quotes. Lots of mail order lumber dealers around.

Good luck.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
Fred the Red Shirt

"David" wrote in message . ..
Good tip. In that case, how does one new to the trade find all these other
sources? I am in Renton, WA.

Sandy Pond has a webpage, and so do many places. Google and Altavista
are your friends. The Yellow pages are still handy. I learned on this
newsgroup about a mill I had driven by perhaps two dozen times and
never noticed befor.

Generally speaking, you want to look for mills in rural areas close
to where the lumber is cut. That's where the retailers buy theirs.

Probably others in your area will see this and reply, you can also use
Google to search the rec.woodworking archives for terms like
"lumber", "washington", "mill" and so forth in various combinations.

--

FF