David

Good tip. In that case, how does one new to the trade find all these other
sources? I am in Renton, WA.

--
Thanks,
David W. Lovell
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...
"David" wrote in message

. ..
Well, I am not a connoisseur of wood pricing, but I know that paying

$20.00
for this selection of nice wood seems to be much cheaper than I could

buy
even average pine at Home Depot or Rockler. So its not that this wood is
necessarily comparatively expensive, just seems like its nicer than I

would
have expected for the price I paid.

A few years back I looked at some $13.99/bf curly maple at a hardwood
lumber store in Balmore, MD. At the same time Sandy Pond, about 100
miles North of there, sold curly maple for $2.50/bf, $3.50/bf for
fiddle back I think. Possible the store bought theirs from Sandy
Pond.

On the West coast poplar is more expensive than pine, On the East
coat pine is more expensive than Poplar.

So what you have learned is that if you want a real good price for
good lumber you don't buy at Home Depot or Rockler. OTOH you may
find it convenient enough to buy there to be worth paying the higher
price.

--

FF