Eugene

Poseidon wrote:

I am in the process of constructing a router table using ¾" MDF for the
case and tabletop. The case was completed with little problem or fanfare.
I cut two sections for the top and spread PVA glue over the surface of one
of the panels. I tried to spread the glue evenly with a spatula and had
difficulty spreading it. To further complicate matters it appeared the MDF
was absorbing the glue. I opted to drizzle glue over the remainder of the
piece (about ¼ of the area) and let gravity help spread the glue. I
assumed (big mistake) that the glue would spread out when weight was
applied on top. I stacked two coolers filled with water on top and placed
the cabinet case atop of that. I then put a couple of boxes of ceramic
tile on the case for good measure. I knew I was in trouble when I saw glue
being squeezed out sporadically around the pieces. After letting it dry 2
days I uncovered the mess. As I feared there is a gap on one side where
the glue did not spread. I now have a new top for my yet to be built SCM
station!

Now I have to do it again. I have thought about using a paint roller to
try to evenly coat the panel. Has anyone tried this method? Any other
ideas? I have considered trying more weight but shy of parking a car on
it, I don't have a clue what I could use. Again, any Ideas?

I just built an MDF router table. I used regular wood glue poured out on a
scrap piece then dabbed a paint brush in the glue and "painted" the glue
on. I did what I read that others do, paint the glue on and let it dry for
a couple hours, then paint on another coat of glue. The first coat will
soak up but then seal the surface so the second coat doesn't soak in.
You might want to do what I did and not glue the top layers. I'm going to
frame around the top with 1x3's and just set the second layer in so if I
even mess it up I can replace it, plus I can lift it out to unbolt the
router base if needed.
Poseidon

Default Gluing MDF panels together

[...]

Eugene

Preston Andreas wrote:

Since the top only needs some adherence to keep the two pieces of mdf
together, I wasn't concerned that the glue was even or that there was
squeeze out. I just drizzled the glue on and did a quick spreading with a
putty knife. I put on the top and found that as soon as the two pieces
went
together, it was like I used contact cement. It wouldn't budge. I had a
very small gap at a place or two, but it was negligible as far as the top
went. Also, I applied plastic lam to all sides. If you apply glue, let
it dry, then apply another coat before putting the two pieces together (as
another poster mentioned), it will give you time to apply clamping cauls.
Make one piece the correct size and the other oversize, then trim it flush
later with a router.

For my next router table, I will build a really sturdy frame, sort of like
a torsion box, that is mortise and tenoned with four crosspieces (allow
room
for the router). Then I will apply one layer of mdf to this. I believe
this will stay flatter longer than two layers of mdf over time. Of
course, care must be taken to make the frame flat at glue up.

How big of a table are you going to make? I thought of doing a torsion box
but made a small (24" by 18") table and even 2 layers of 3/4" MDF feel like
overkill.

Nova

Poseidon wrote:

[...]

See:

http://www.thewoodworkerschoice.com/...roduct_id=0209

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

John Carlson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:46:55 -0500, "Poseidon"
wrote:

I have thought about using a paint roller to try to evenly coat the panel. Has anyone tried this method?

I've done exactly that, using a 3 or 4-inch trim roller. It works
very well. As the glue soaks into the MDF you just go back and roll
on some more. After a couple coats it'll stop absorbing.

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
David

Boy are you making a simple job difficult! Get some good
contact cement (the stuff with SOLVENT) --Weldwood will do,
and use a roller to apply TWO coats to each piece.
Carefully align and press together as the instructions state
on the can. Not too soon, and not to late. It isn't
gonna come apart...

Don't do this job around a source of ignition.

David

Poseidon wrote:

[...]

Bernie Hunt

For spreading the glue, I would use a paint roller made for glue. You may have to look in the laminate top section of the Borg to find them. I've used the smaller trim rollers to spread yellow glue on veneer when using the iron on method.

Also consider putting on a thin coat and letting it absorb into the MDF, effectively acting like sizing. Then put on a second coat that won't soak in quite as much.

You asked about clamping. If you get the glue spread evenly, you really don't need that much clamping pressure. I would think your coolers, tile and kitchen sink method should be enough. Where you had good glue coverage, did you get a good bond? If so, then your clamping pressure was enough. Don't plan on using clamping pressure to spread the glue. The hydrolic effect of the glue is way stronger than you will ever get clamping pressure in a home shop.

Bernie
PS: Let's see some picture when you get it done!

"Poseidon" wrote in message .. .
[...]

Rob V

Use contact cement

"Poseidon" wrote in message .. .
[...]

GerryG

Just did some of that with 2 pieces of MDF for a small workbench. For a face
joint the particular glue isn't too important so I just used cheap white glue.
Used a roller to quickly apply a very light coat to each piece and gave it an
hour to dry (sealing the MDF surface). Then put a heavier coat on one piece
and a couple of positioning angles on two long corners so I wouldn't have to
fuss getting them even.

At this point, the key is how to effectively clamp them (unless using contact
cement). Forget weights or clamps unless the piece is pretty small. For large
pieces, the only two good ways I know are a vacuum bag, or cauls. Not having
the former, I made and clamped on five cauls.
GerryG

[...]

Preston Andreas

I will do a 24" by 36" table for larger items. I also have a Lee Valley
router table setup which is a great router table, but it is small for some
things like long moldings or dadoes in cabinet side panels.

Preston

"Eugene" wrote in message
Preston Andreas wrote:

[...]

Bob Davis

"Poseidon" wrote in message ...

Now I have to do it again. I have thought about using a paint roller to
try to evenly coat the panel. Has anyone tried this method? Any other
ideas? I have considered trying more weight but shy of parking a car on
it, I don't have a clue what I could use. Again, any Ideas?

You might pick up some relevant tips by watching the free video at
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...es/wvt083b.asp Its about
veneering on MDF but the gluing principals using a paint roller
probably apply.

Bob

Poseidon

Thank you all for responding! I appreciate the inputs. I will post pix when I get done.

-Mike

--
Michael Hoskowicz
"Rob V" wrote in message r.com...