Eugene

Poseidon wrote:

I am in the process of constructing a router table using ¾" MDF for the
case and tabletop. The case was completed with little problem or fanfare.
I cut two sections for the top and spread PVA glue over the surface of one
of the panels. I tried to spread the glue evenly with a spatula and had
difficulty spreading it. To further complicate matters it appeared the MDF
was absorbing the glue. I opted to drizzle glue over the remainder of the
piece (about ¼ of the area) and let gravity help spread the glue. I
assumed (big mistake) that the glue would spread out when weight was
applied on top. I stacked two coolers filled with water on top and placed
the cabinet case atop of that. I then put a couple of boxes of ceramic
tile on the case for good measure. I knew I was in trouble when I saw glue
being squeezed out sporadically around the pieces. After letting it dry 2
days I uncovered the mess. As I feared there is a gap on one side where
the glue did not spread. I now have a new top for my yet to be built SCM
station!

Now I have to do it again. I have thought about using a paint roller to
try to evenly coat the panel. Has anyone tried this method? Any other
ideas? I have considered trying more weight but shy of parking a car on
it, I don't have a clue what I could use. Again, any Ideas?

I just built an MDF router table. I used regular wood glue poured out on a
scrap piece then dabbed a paint brush in the glue and "painted" the glue
on. I did what I read that others do, paint the glue on and let it dry for
a couple hours, then paint on another coat of glue. The first coat will
soak up but then seal the surface so the second coat doesn't soak in.
You might want to do what I did and not glue the top layers. I'm going to
frame around the top with 1x3's and just set the second layer in so if I
even mess it up I can replace it, plus I can lift it out to unbolt the
router base if needed.