Bernie Hunt

For spreading the glue, I would use a paint roller made for glue. You may have to look in the laminate top section of the Borg to find them. I've used the smaller trim rollers to spread yellow glue on veneer when using the iron on method.

Also consider putting on a thin coat and letting it absorb into the MDF, effectively acting like sizing. Then put on a second coat that won't soak in quite as much.

You asked about clamping. If you get the glue spread evenly, you really don't need that much clamping pressure. I would think your coolers, tile and kitchen sink method should be enough. Where you had good glue coverage, did you get a good bond? If so, then your clamping pressure was enough. Don't plan on using clamping pressure to spread the glue. The hydrolic effect of the glue is way stronger than you will ever get clamping pressure in a home shop.

Bernie
PS: Let's see some picture when you get it done!

"Poseidon" wrote in message .. .
I am in the process of constructing a router table using ¾" MDF for the case and tabletop. The case was completed with little problem or fanfare. I cut two sections for the top and spread PVA glue over the surface of one of the panels. I tried to spread the glue evenly with a spatula and had difficulty spreading it. To further complicate matters it appeared the MDF was absorbing the glue. I opted to drizzle glue over the remainder of the piece (about ¼ of the area) and let gravity help spread the glue. I assumed (big mistake) that the glue would spread out when weight was applied on top. I stacked two coolers filled with water on top and placed the cabinet case atop of that. I then put a couple of boxes of ceramic tile on the case for good measure. I knew I was in trouble when I saw glue being squeezed out sporadically around the pieces. After letting it dry 2 days I uncovered the mess. As I feared there is a gap on one side where the glue did not spread. I now have a new top for my yet to be built SCM station!

Now I have to do it again. I have thought about using a paint roller to try to evenly coat the panel. Has anyone tried this method? Any other ideas? I have considered trying more weight but shy of parking a car on it, I don't have a clue what I could use. Again, any Ideas?