Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Roofing costs

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That seems down right good to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2020 1:12 PM, Markem wrote:
Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That seems down right good to me.

That sounds way too cheap. $350, right? You might want to get some
more bids and expect them to be higher. Cheap is not always the best
choice cuz you often get what you pay for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 13:12:09 -0500, Markem
wrote:

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That should be $500 ($3500 total cost) not including the replacement
skylight.

That seems down right good to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That should be $500 ($3500 total cost) not including the replacement
skylight.

That seems down right good to me.

Those darn zero's have little value until it is on the left side of the
decimal.

$3500 sounds more in line.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That should be $500 ($3500 total cost) not including the replacement
skylight.

That seems down right good to me.

Those darn zero's have little value until it is on the left side of the
decimal.

$3500 sounds more in line.

The value of proof reading is always apparent after I post something
and then say, Crap!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That should be $500 ($3500 total cost) not including the replacement
skylight.

That seems down right good to me.

Those darn zero's have little value until it is on the left side of the
decimal.

$3500 sounds more in line.

The value of proof reading is always apparent after I post something
and then say, Crap!

Just click the Edit button.

Usenet has an editing feature, doesn't it?

I never use it 'cuz I never make mitsakes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 13:20:26 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 6/8/2020 1:12 PM, Markem wrote:
Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That seems down right good to me.

That sounds way too cheap. $350, right? You might want to get some
more bids and expect them to be higher. Cheap is not always the best
choice cuz you often get what you pay for.

And when the price is too low,adly sometimes you don't even get that!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That should be $500 ($3500 total cost) not including the replacement
skylight.

That seems down right good to me.

Those darn zero's have little value until it is on the left side of the
decimal.

$3500 sounds more in line.

The value of proof reading is always apparent after I post something
and then say, Crap!

I think it changes even if I proof read. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 1:12:16 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
Well due to an ice storm way back there is a hole in the sun room. Did
not see it nor did it leak till I blew the debris off.

The quote for replacing the shingles and sheathing and using ice and
water shield is $50 per square (700 square feet).

That seems down right good to me.

I know it will clash with the rest of the house, but it could be a good start for when you are going to have to have your shingles replaced. Have them use a metal roof. They are guaranteed for 50yrs and, unless you have very large 4"+ hail, you do not have to worry about it. The cost is not much more, and in year of service life, less than shingles. IF you do go that route, sometime in the future, when they do the rest of the house, make sure they use 1x4's for the mounts and not 2x4's, for the simple reason squirrels can get in between the metal and your existing room with 2x4's. Do not, under any circumstances allow them to put the metal flat on the roof, it will the underlayment to sweat, which destroys it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 5:42 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

I would warn against "any" metal roof!!!

About 20 years ago we had our other home reroofed with Alcoa aluminum
cedar shake shingles. The price was just over double that of a
replacement composition shingle.

The roof looked great but it leaked and this was only detectable from
the stand point that the fascia around the perimeter of the house was
constantly rotting and needing to be replaced. That was the only
indicator and because the fascia was cedar and rotted anyway, before the
metal roof, I never knew that the metal roof was contributing to the issue.

My son now ownes the house and got estimates to replace the aluminum
roof with the same.
The estimate was just shy of $40K. Turns out one of our past hurricanes
was blamed for the failure and insurance paid for the replacement value.
This on a 1,300 sqft home. AND the original warranty was lifetime!!!

Long story shorter, I advised him to take the money and go back to
conventional, which he did.