Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Re-roofing costs in Atlanta GA ?

I need to a tear of and re-roof of a property I own . The roof is about
33 squares and is a hipped roof of no more than a 6/12 pitch.
The 1X6 decking seems oak but there could be a few bad areas as we as
facia too . What are the typical unit costs labor and materials
separately for this job ?

mike hide

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to a tear of and re-roof of a property I own . The roof is about
33 squares and is a hipped roof of no more than a 6/12 pitch.
The 1X6 decking seems oak but there could be a few bad areas as we as
facia too . What are the typical unit costs labor and materials
separately for this job ?

Dr Roof a local roofer just did a house across the street from me in
Buckhead . The cost of materials should roughly be the cost of the squares
required which in turn is detmined from the square footage of the roof ,plus
an allowance for profit on these supplies . The cost per square can be
easily assessed from a trip to home depot.

the cost of labor ! well for a relatively small roof on the aforesaid house
it took about a dozen guys about 2 days + to rip the old roof off and
install the new . lets say $12/hour per roofer as a rough estimate so on
that basis labor would be about 12* 12* 16 [2 days at 8hr per day] =
$2304.

So I am guessing the roof ran about $3500--$4000.......my guess mjh

Getty

"mike hide" wrote in message

Dr Roof a local roofer just did a house across the street from me in
Buckhead . The cost of materials should roughly be the cost of the squares
required which in turn is detmined from the square footage of the roof

,plus
an allowance for profit on these supplies . The cost per square can be
easily assessed from a trip to home depot.

This is a common error in judgement by the amateur. Of course it will give
you a cost of shingle material only. It will not give you _all_ the costs
of materials. For instance, you may price out a $33 per square shingle
cost, and all other misc. costs involved with installing/haul away will
easily add up over $100 per square actual cost. You have felt paper,
water/ice shield, staples for felt, drip edge, boots, flashing (step,
apron, counter), nails (which run approx. $25 per 18 square for air nailer),
pot/pod vents for bathroom/kitchen exhausts, ridge vents, haul away/disposal
cost, special hip/ridge cap if applicable, permit,sealants and a few othe
misc. cost such as delivery.

the cost of labor ! well for a relatively small roof on the aforesaid

house
it took about a dozen guys about 2 days + to rip the old roof off and
install the new . lets say $12/hour per roofer as a rough estimate so on
that basis labor would be about 12* 12* 16 [2 days at 8hr per day] =
$2304.

So I am guessing the roof ran about $3500--$4000.......my guess mjh

Holy smoly, why in the world would someone do that work for $12 an hour?
The lawn care companies around here pay their employees that to mow lawns.
Guess either that is a real rough estimate, or you live in the area where
slavery is still legal.

Let's not forget to add in for overhead such as tools,vehicles, insurance,
sales, etc. etc. Of course some may want someone to pay for all of that out
of their $12 per hour pay!