Old May 16th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Worth of a Craftsman RAS

Well for all those wondering, here you go.

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/zi...125151353.html

Now they will know!

Old May 16th 20, 08:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:39:13 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
Well for all those wondering, here you go.

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/zi...125151353.html

Now they will know!

Here's another sweet (sic) deal. It doesn't say if the motor works, but for $400 you can't beat this deal for salvage. I made an offer of $20 and got no reply..... yet!
https://lafayette.craigslist.org/tls...119303226.html

Sonny
Old May 17th 20, 03:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2020 1:39 PM, Markem wrote:
Well for all those wondering, here you go.

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/zi...125151353.html

Now they will know!

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?
Old May 17th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.
Old May 17th 20, 07:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 08:43:20 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Old May 17th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt. One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product. I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.
Old May 17th 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt. One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product. I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

There are a lot of them if you're willing to spend the $$ for something
that wasn't cheap to begin with ... the large Delta, Rockwell/Delta, OSC
(Original Saw Company) are most common to show up at auction...

Even some of the Craftsman are marginally ok to pretty good for really
old larger models.

Of the lighter 10" variety, the B&D I still have besides the old Delta
16" is fine for what it's heavy-enough for. I used it exclusively for
almost everything when first got into w-working after graduating from
uni and moving where hardwoods were plentiful instead of a thing that
had to be imported from 400+ mi away until could afford the Powermatic
Model 66 (picked up at the factory in McMinnville, TN).

I keep it for the occasional thing that's too awkward for the TS but not
worth the behemoth and for nostalgia -- this one actually is the one
like mine Dad bought when he got tired of the little Craftsman portable
TS he got when redoing the house...and that I got enough of really
quickly when building the kitchen cabinets for him... That was all
40 year ago now...

Old May 17th 20, 10:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt. One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product. I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

My Craftsman RAS was my very first woodworking "machine".
... bought used ~ 1982 for $ 350. .. a little over-priced for
the time - but it had the table extension and a real good 60 tooth
carbide combination blade - nearly $ 100. back then.
I used it for 25 years or so - no regrets. It's not a trim saw.
I ripped full - 2 - inch straight cherry - feeding carefully -
no problem. But short lengths only - ~ 5 - feet or so -
- long lengths would be a problem - ergonomics.
Ripping very grainy wood would usually mean some burning - a PITA -
softwood / hardwood didn't seem to matter much with this
Cleaning the blade made a huge difference !
.. a tiny bit of resin / burn deposit on the carbide teeth would
greatly affect the cut ! ... big true.
Just my 2 cents worth.
John T.

Old May 17th 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

I've got one I'd sell for half that, I think. With an unopened safety
recall package, to boot. I keep going back and forth whether I want
to get it all back together. On one hand, I have it. On the other,
what would I ever do with it? It takes space and I sure don't want to
move it again.
Old May 17th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

--

I picked up a used Delta for $200 many years ago and use it frequently.
In fact, just used it the other day. Been a good machine thus far.