Posted to rec.woodworking
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On 5/17/2020 4:20 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/17/2020 1:22 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:13:55 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2020 08:43:20 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.
Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt.Â* One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product.Â* I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

There are a lot of them if you're willing to spend the $$ for something
that wasn't cheap to begin with ... the large Delta, Rockwell/Delta, OSC
(Original Saw Company) are most common to show up at auction...

Even some of the Craftsman are marginally ok to pretty good for really
old larger models.

Of the lighter 10" variety, the B&D I still have besides the old Delta
16" is fine for what it's heavy-enough for.Â* I used it exclusively for
almost everything when first got into w-working after graduating from
uni and moving where hardwoods were plentiful instead of a thing that
had to be imported from 400+ mi away until could afford the Powermatic
Model 66 (picked up at the factory in McMinnville, TN).

I keep it for the occasional thing that's too awkward for the TS but not
worth the behemoth and for nostalgia -- this one actually is the one
like mine Dad bought when he got tired of the little Craftsman portable
TS he got when redoing the house...and that I got enough of really
quickly when building the kitchen cabinets for him... Â* That was all
40 year ago now...

--

I picked up a used Delta for $200 many years ago and use it frequently.
In fact, just used it the other day. Been a good machine thus far.