DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Worth of a Craftsman RAS (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/649377-worth-craftsman-ras.html)

Markem[_2_] May 16th 20 07:39 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

Well for all those wondering, here you go.

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/zi...125151353.html

Now they will know!

Sonny May 16th 20 09:14 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:39:13 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
Well for all those wondering, here you go.

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/zi...125151353.html

Now they will know!

Here's another sweet (sic) deal. It doesn't say if the motor works, but for $400 you can't beat this deal for salvage. I made an offer of $20 and got no reply..... yet!
https://lafayette.craigslist.org/tls...119303226.html

Sonny

Hawk May 17th 20 04:41 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On 5/16/2020 1:39 PM, Markem wrote:
Well for all those wondering, here you go.

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/zi...125151353.html

Now they will know!

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

Sonny May 17th 20 05:43 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Clare Snyder May 17th 20 08:13 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Sun, 17 May 2020 08:43:20 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

J. Clarke[_5_] May 17th 20 08:22 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt. One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product. I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

dpb[_3_] May 17th 20 10:20 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt. One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product. I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

There are a lot of them if you're willing to spend the $$ for something
that wasn't cheap to begin with ... the large Delta, Rockwell/Delta, OSC
(Original Saw Company) are most common to show up at auction...

Even some of the Craftsman are marginally ok to pretty good for really
old larger models.

Of the lighter 10" variety, the B&D I still have besides the old Delta
16" is fine for what it's heavy-enough for. I used it exclusively for
almost everything when first got into w-working after graduating from
uni and moving where hardwoods were plentiful instead of a thing that
had to be imported from 400+ mi away until could afford the Powermatic
Model 66 (picked up at the factory in McMinnville, TN).

I keep it for the occasional thing that's too awkward for the TS but not
worth the behemoth and for nostalgia -- this one actually is the one
like mine Dad bought when he got tired of the little Craftsman portable
TS he got when redoing the house...and that I got enough of really
quickly when building the kitchen cabinets for him... :) That was all
40 year ago now...

[email protected] May 17th 20 11:03 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt. One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product. I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

My Craftsman RAS was my very first woodworking "machine".
... bought used ~ 1982 for $ 350. .. a little over-priced for
the time - but it had the table extension and a real good 60 tooth
carbide combination blade - nearly $ 100. back then.
I used it for 25 years or so - no regrets. It's not a trim saw.
I ripped full - 2 - inch straight cherry - feeding carefully -
no problem. But short lengths only - ~ 5 - feet or so -
- long lengths would be a problem - ergonomics.
Ripping very grainy wood would usually mean some burning - a PITA -
softwood / hardwood didn't seem to matter much with this
Cleaning the blade made a huge difference !
.. a tiny bit of resin / burn deposit on the carbide teeth would
greatly affect the cut ! ... big true.
Just my 2 cents worth.
John T.

[email protected] May 17th 20 11:31 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.

I've got one I'd sell for half that, I think. With an unopened safety
recall package, to boot. I keep going back and forth whether I want
to get it all back together. On one hand, I have it. On the other,
what would I ever do with it? It takes space and I sure don't want to
move it again.

Hawk May 18th 20 12:35 AM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:43:06 AM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

Posting was deleted.

What are the details?

A Craftsman RAS was offered for free.
Depending on which model that might have been 10 times or more what
it was worth. The one I had was worse than useless - and dangerous. It
was WAY to "flexible" or "loose" to be usefull for anything other than
cutting up scrap wood.

Mine works well enough as long as I don't push it too hard, but
getting it back to square after I do an angle cut is a pain in the
butt.Â* One of these days it's going to be replaced with an SCMS.
Radial Arm Saws were a wonderful idea but something got lost in the
translation from idea to product.Â* I know there _are_ good ones out
there but they're hard to find in other than basket-case condition.

There are a lot of them if you're willing to spend the $$ for something
that wasn't cheap to begin with ... the large Delta, Rockwell/Delta, OSC
(Original Saw Company) are most common to show up at auction...

Even some of the Craftsman are marginally ok to pretty good for really
old larger models.

Of the lighter 10" variety, the B&D I still have besides the old Delta
16" is fine for what it's heavy-enough for.Â* I used it exclusively for
almost everything when first got into w-working after graduating from
uni and moving where hardwoods were plentiful instead of a thing that
had to be imported from 400+ mi away until could afford the Powermatic
Model 66 (picked up at the factory in McMinnville, TN).

I keep it for the occasional thing that's too awkward for the TS but not
worth the behemoth and for nostalgia -- this one actually is the one
like mine Dad bought when he got tired of the little Craftsman portable
TS he got when redoing the house...and that I got enough of really
quickly when building the kitchen cabinets for him... :)Â* That was all
40 year ago now...

--

I picked up a used Delta for $200 many years ago and use it frequently.
In fact, just used it the other day. Been a good machine thus far.

J. Clarke[_5_] May 18th 20 01:39 AM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

[...]

I got a couple those roller supports that actually work pretty well
feeding long stock through it. Did that a few times and finally asked
myself why I was asking to to do something that a cheap table saw
would do more conveniently.

dpb[_3_] May 18th 20 01:57 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On 5/17/2020 6:39 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2020 17:03:07 -0400, wrote:

My Craftsman RAS was my very first woodworking "machine".
.. bought used ~ 1982 for $ 350. .. a little over-priced for
the time - but it had the table extension and a real good 60 tooth
carbide combination blade - nearly $ 100. back then.
I used it for 25 years or so - no regrets. It's not a trim saw.
I ripped full - 2 - inch straight cherry - feeding carefully -
no problem. But short lengths only - ~ 5 - feet or so -
- long lengths would be a problem - ergonomics.

I got a couple those roller supports that actually work pretty well
feeding long stock through it. Did that a few times and finally asked
myself why I was asking to to do something that a cheap table saw
would do more conveniently.

Set up in a long bench, they're _FAR_ more convenient than a TS for
ripping long material. And no match for roughing out large stock.

In the garage/shop in TN, the 10" sat in an 8-ft table while the 16" was
at a friends commercial shop in a 16-ft. Here on the farm it's along
the barn alley in almost 20-ft run with the chop saw set along the run
that clears the normal fence position...the TS is then able to do what
is convenient to move on it. Not everybody has the space, granted, but
if do...

[email protected] May 18th 20 02:57 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Mon, 18 May 2020 06:57:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

For sure - a solidly anchored RAS with nice solid infeed table
will rip just fine - just check out the big units in the lumber
yards. Mine was on its flimsy metal stand with a small folding
extension table - not a good choice for ripping long stuff..
.... not impossible - but not great.
John T.

Clare Snyder May 18th 20 06:45 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Mon, 18 May 2020 08:57:50 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Definitely nothing wrong with a GOOD RAS properly set up - but my
Crafsman was NOT a good RAS and it was impossible to "properly set
up".

Accuracy on a good day was +/- twice the blade width - or about 3/16
inch

J. Clarke[_5_] May 18th 20 11:02 PM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:45:34 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

A couple of things I noticed about mine--if a gnat makes a
crashlanding on the table it gets knocked out of true, and the
standard MDF table bows if I tighten the clamps even a tiny bit more
than it likes.

There are fixes--make the table out of something that actually has
structural integrity and change the table support from one that relies
on friction to one that relies on the compressive strength of steel.

Clare Snyder May 19th 20 02:55 AM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

wrote:

[...]

The traverse on the "gantry? was so sloppy 1/4 inch bow on the MDF
table would have gotten "lost in the noise" It was a "round Rail"
setup

DerbyDad03 May 19th 20 03:50 AM

Worth of a Craftsman RAS

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:57:31 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

Back in my...err..I mean...my kid's Derby racing days, I spent a lot
of time in front of an old Craftsman RAS cutting steel plates, up to
12" wide and 1/2" thick, into various shapes for floor weights, axle
mounts, and other parts for the cars.

By taking numerous, numerous, tiny bites, we made parts that were pretty
darn accurate. This is the rear axle mount, all parts of which were cut on
the RAS. You are looking into the very rear of the car. The square stock
running cross-ways is the axle, sticking through the sides of the fiberglass
body.

https://i.imgur.com/xzNz7Na.jpg

The 2 small cap screws with the heads pointing towards the front of the car
were used to align the axle by changing the angle of the large block that
butts up to the front of the axle.

For some more perspective, the mount was installed behind the driver in
this car:

https://i.imgur.com/IOQt88q.jpg