Old February 9th 20, 05:07 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Protect Metal Surfaces

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 17:11:34 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

On 2/8/2020 1:52 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 11:39:37 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

On 2/7/2020 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur. I think I've re-applied it once since.
No rust. Put it my drill press about 8 years ago. I've never re-done
it and no rust. I still have the original can.

No Doubt!!! As I mentioned in another post, it all depends on your
location and conditions as to which product will be adequate.

Mine sat in the garage in the Auburn Alabama area for three years (the
drill press in an unheated attic). Since 2011, they've been in my
basement (unheated) in the Atlanta area. Not exactly controlled
environments.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...

Old February 9th 20, 05:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 17:14:28 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Here is a thought, maybe Boeing could spray it on their grounded 737 Max
airplanes and.....

I don't think they actually use it on their airplanes. It would take
thousands of cans. Coincidence? I think not!

The 737 Max may be their undoing. ...and take SouthWest Airlines with
it.
Old February 9th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 10:07:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Mine sat in the garage in the Auburn Alabama area for three years (the
drill press in an unheated attic). Since 2011, they've been in my
basement (unheated) in the Atlanta area. Not exactly controlled
environments.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...

Whenever you speak of "unheated" as an "uncontrolled" location and its over 150 miles from the coast, you are different from what Leon is talking about. Get a location near the coast, where your controlled location has heating and cooling that is used *in the same 24 hour period* and you will see why some people have more trouble with humidity, condensation, and rust than you do.

Old February 12th 20, 02:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 7:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:13:49 PM UTC-5, OtterGuy wrote:
My workshop is in the garage so not able to control humidity.

I have been told that paste wax does not work.

I don't know where you heard that paste wax doesn't work.

Paste wax works, but sucks compared to Bostik GlideCote (TopCote). I've
use both and like most things, the product specifically designed for the
task works best, in this case, way best.

This stuff not only inhibits rust, but makes all your tool tops slick as
wet ice. This makes it a safety factor as well as a rust inhibitor.
Lasts a long time as well, longer than past wax and easy to use. I even
use it on all my vice/clamp threads as it makes them spin freely and no
rust.

--
Jack
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a