DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Protect Metal Surfaces (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/644415-protect-metal-surfaces.html)

OtterGuy[_2_] February 7th 20 08:47 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

DerbyDad03 February 7th 20 09:33 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 3:47:51 PM UTC-5, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

Apply a dehumidifier to the room.

Scott Lurndal February 7th 20 09:36 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

OtterGuy writes:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

First, you must determine _why_ they get "rust".

If the environment they're stored in is quite humid, get a dehumidifier;
surface coatings will likely be insufficient.

If someone is setting beer mugs on the table saw, and the condensate
is being left behind, don't let them into your shop.

If the shop is subject to wide temperature swings and humidity, get some rigid dense
foam, cut/glue it to make a cover for the saw (so long as it completely
covers the top and is 100% in contact with the top, moisture in the
air can't condense on the cold metal surface)

Otherwise, a thin coat of paste wax is the most efficacious method.

Or you can spend money on various commercial surface coatings, topcoat
and dry coat come to mind.

Spalted Walt February 7th 20 09:56 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

https://www.homedepot.com/p/100154748

OtterGuy[_2_] February 7th 20 10:13 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

My workshop is in the garage so not able to control humidity.

I have been told that paste wax does not work.

knuttle February 7th 20 10:21 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

On 2/7/2020 4:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
OtterGuy writes:
[...]

I agree with the above.

While I can not say my old table saw table looks like it did when it
came from the store 50 years ago, my father in law, from whom I
inherited the saw, would be proud of the way I have keep it up.

Every time I am doodling around the saw I put on a coat of a good car
wax. Periodically I use a cleaner polishing compound on the table so the
wax does not build up. When rust spots do appear I carefully remove
them with a very fine piece of sand paper.

Special attention must be made to keep the miter slots clean.

I don't use dense foam for a cover, but a piece of 3/8" plywood. In my
case the plywood works better because it is less prone to damage. It
will not be damaged if a tools falls on the saw. It repels glue, paint,
oils or other solvents that would harm the saw, OR penetrate the foam
and cause a larger mess.

knuttle February 7th 20 10:27 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

OtterGuy writes:
[...]

PS: My work shop is in my garage, and I use the same technique on my
handsaw, bandsaw, drill press, metal rulers, t squares, and all tools
that are p

DJ Delorie February 7th 20 11:30 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. Easy to apply (but with all such
products, you reapply as needed) but does not contain any silicone
(which causes fish-eye with finishes).

Other waxes will do as long as you avoid any that contain silicone
(i.e. most "car" waxes)

Scott Lurndal February 7th 20 11:50 PM

Protect Metal Surfaces

OtterGuy writes:
[...]

Watch out for the car waxes that contain silicone - silicone may transfer
to work causing finishing defects.

DerbyDad03 February 8th 20 12:14 AM

Protect Metal Surfaces

OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

Please do not top post in your replies. It is not the standard in this
forum. Thanks!

I don't know where you heard that paste wax doesn't work.

DAGS - will paste wax prevent rust -

Just don't use anything that contains silicone. Silicone can transfer to
the wood and will affect many finishes.
finishes