Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Protect Metal Surfaces

On 2/7/2020 4:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
OtterGuy writes:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

First, you must determine _why_ they get "rust".

If the environment they're stored in is quite humid, get a dehumidifier;
surface coatings will likely be insufficient.

If someone is setting beer mugs on the table saw, and the condensate
is being left behind, don't let them into your shop.

If the shop is subject to wide temperature swings and humidity, get some rigid dense
foam, cut/glue it to make a cover for the saw (so long as it completely
covers the top and is 100% in contact with the top, moisture in the
air can't condense on the cold metal surface)

Otherwise, a thin coat of paste wax is the most efficacious method.

Or you can spend money on various commercial surface coatings, topcoat
and dry coat come to mind.

I agree with the above.

While I can not say my old table saw table looks like it did when it
came from the store 50 years ago, my father in law, from whom I
inherited the saw, would be proud of the way I have keep it up.

Every time I am doodling around the saw I put on a coat of a good car
wax. Periodically I use a cleaner polishing compound on the table so the
wax does not build up. When rust spots do appear I carefully remove
them with a very fine piece of sand paper.

Special attention must be made to keep the miter slots clean.

I don't use dense foam for a cover, but a piece of 3/8" plywood. In my
case the plywood works better because it is less prone to damage. It
will not be damaged if a tools falls on the saw. It repels glue, paint,
oils or other solvents that would harm the saw, OR penetrate the foam
and cause a larger mess.