Old February 8th 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Protect Metal Surfaces

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

Old February 8th 20, 03:40 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.
Old February 8th 20, 04:58 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 12:47:46 -0800, OtterGuy
wrote:

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

BoeShield - or much cheaper and easier to get your paws on - fluid
film.
Old February 8th 20, 04:59 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 17:21:24 -0500, knuttle
wrote:

On 2/7/2020 4:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
OtterGuy writes:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

First, you must determine _why_ they get "rust".

If the environment they're stored in is quite humid, get a dehumidifier;
surface coatings will likely be insufficient.

If someone is setting beer mugs on the table saw, and the condensate
is being left behind, don't let them into your shop.

If the shop is subject to wide temperature swings and humidity, get some rigid dense
foam, cut/glue it to make a cover for the saw (so long as it completely
covers the top and is 100% in contact with the top, moisture in the
air can't condense on the cold metal surface)

Otherwise, a thin coat of paste wax is the most efficacious method.

Or you can spend money on various commercial surface coatings, topcoat
and dry coat come to mind.

I agree with the above.

While I can not say my old table saw table looks like it did when it
came from the store 50 years ago, my father in law, from whom I
inherited the saw, would be proud of the way I have keep it up.

Every time I am doodling around the saw I put on a coat of a good car
wax. Periodically I use a cleaner polishing compound on the table so the
wax does not build up. When rust spots do appear I carefully remove
them with a very fine piece of sand paper.

Special attention must be made to keep the miter slots clean.

I don't use dense foam for a cover, but a piece of 3/8" plywood. In my
case the plywood works better because it is less prone to damage. It
will not be damaged if a tools falls on the saw. It repels glue, paint,
oils or other solvents that would harm the saw, OR penetrate the foam
and cause a larger mess.

My Myford lathe is in unheated garage and gets a light coating od
Fluid Film and it does the job.
Old February 8th 20, 03:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

BoeShield - or much cheaper and easier to get your paws on - fluid
film.

Boeshield is available at the Borg. Fluid film is about half the cost
but isn't available at the local store. A can of Boeshield has lasted
me several years.

Old February 8th 20, 05:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 2:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

EVERY Location is different. Temp and humidity have a great deal to do
with rust.

Wax is ok under very controlled environments.

The biggest issue is condensing moisture. If you equipment gets cold
and is sudden exposed to warm moist air hardly anything will help.

I personally use GlideCote. Nothing else has lasted more than a day or
two. And GlideCote is not perfect.

Actually "USE" is the best for protection assuming there is no
condensing moisture.

AND FWIW if you actually use your tools your sweat will be an issue.

You just have to experiment with what works best for you in your situation.
Old February 8th 20, 05:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.
Old February 8th 20, 07:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 11:39:37 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

On 2/7/2020 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur. I think I've re-applied it once since.
No rust. Put it my drill press about 8 years ago. I've never re-done
it and no rust. I still have the original can.
Old February 8th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur. I think I've re-applied it once since.
No rust. Put it my drill press about 8 years ago. I've never re-done
it and no rust. I still have the original can.

No Doubt!!! As I mentioned in another post, it all depends on your
location and conditions as to which product will be adequate.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...
Old February 8th 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Here is a thought, maybe Boeing could spray it on their grounded 737 Max
airplanes and.....