Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Porch deck material recommends

Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color? None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:14:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color? None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

The new brown-toned pressure treated wood - I believe they call it
MicroPro Sienna. Better yet but more expensive is "thermally modified
" wood. SYP and Northern Ash are both available
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2019 2:46 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I did not realize you could use charcoal "thermally modified wood" in
construction. Does it hold up will? Do you use a special paint?

;-)

2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2019 2:14 PM, dpb wrote:
Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas?Â* I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color?Â* None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

--

I used tiger wood for my deck. If you keep some oil on it, looks great.
If not, it will turn gray over time. Holds up for decades. Check out
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas?Â* I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color?Â* None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

--

As Clare mentioned and or Ipe. Ipe is a bit pricey but will last for a
very long time and does not need to be painted, stained or varnished.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 May 2019 15:58:18 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

[...]

The stuff works very well - is insect resistant, doesn't rot, is
about 20% less strong than normal wood, and weathers quickly to grey
if not sealed and treated. Most thermally modified deck wool is sealed
and stained and stands up pretty good. It is exceptionally
dimensionally stable.

;-)

2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre