Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Porch deck material recommends

Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color? None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about regular pt 5/4 x 6 board? Can be water coated to the color of choice? Right now I have the same size, plus awning covered so it extends more.
I have a good quality outdoor carpeting on the porch and the concrete steps leading up to it. Nice on barefeet and will not get hot. I replaced the carpeting after 8 years or so for about 500 us bucks.
Note, I do not have the 5.4 under it but have built nice porches and decks using it.
Regular grooved pine under carpet looks and feels fine to walk on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:14:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color? None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

I wouldn't lump all non-wood products into "Trex or the like". I have
docks finished with Trex and do not care for how they have fared, but
I have a large deck made with Azek and love it. Zero signs of wear
after multiple years and no problems with heat or sagging. I bet Trex
has improved as well. (My Trex docks are 11 years old. The Azek deck
is only 3 years old.)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2019 2:14 PM, dpb wrote:
Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas?Â* I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color?Â* None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

--

I used tiger wood for my deck. If you keep some oil on it, looks great.
If not, it will turn gray over time. Holds up for decades. Check out
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas?Â* I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color?Â* None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

--

As Clare mentioned and or Ipe. Ipe is a bit pricey but will last for a
very long time and does not need to be painted, stained or varnished.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 6:04:22 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Great idea, cut down more rainforest for a deck..... Sounds like an idea
Trump would like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

It isnt from rainforests.

for a deck..... Sounds like an idea
Trump would like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Do you see Trump in your coffee?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

https://landscapearchitecturemagazin...ail-of-stumps/

"Most ipe (pronounced ee-pay) comes from rain forests in Brazil and Peru.

Just because some pig ignorant fool claims something...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2019 14:47:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

https://landscapearchitecturemagazin...ail-of-stumps/

"Most ipe (pronounced ee-pay) comes from rain forests in Brazil and Peru.

Just because some pig ignorant fool claims something...

Ahh! The senile Ozzietard's idiocy has just been exposed again! G

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Exactly. So please stop claiming things that are not true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 1:14 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

And you stupidly claim that that fool Raygun won the cold war.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 May 2019 03:09:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Exactly. So please stop claiming things that are not true.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

YOU certainly KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you
85-year-old senile cretin!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 3:01 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

A few couple of years ago evaluating deck materials and settling on
Trex, which looks brand new after 2 years, now I did see that it had
gone through its growing pains and the newer material is vastly
improved. Azek should perform just as well but construction is
important as someone I know had to remove his because spans were too
large and caused sagging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 2:19:53 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/28/2019 3:01 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

IDK what brand it is, but the boardwalks here were rebuilt with synthetic
that looks like Trex after Superstorm Sandy and it's held up well, looks
great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 3:01 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

Trex is OK if you can find nominal 2" material (1.5 actual). That is a
real lumber yard thing, not the BORG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2019 3:01 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

It is very true that the stiffness of the board is highly dependent on
thickness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexural_modulus

Note in these equations it is thickness cubed dependent.