Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DECK BOARDS PT FOR A PORCH OR DECK

I am replacing a large 1980s rotted, not to new code, and termite ridden deck.
At first I used Pt for everything because it is cheap. AFTER research in deck
magazine, fine homebuilding, and Simpson strong tie, and noticing the rot in
the old pt wood and not in the old redwood, I changed to cedar deck boards.
Cedar has to be sealed on all 6 sides before installation immediately. It
comes kiln dried and mine came with anchorseal on both ends. COMPOSITES Are
know to warp and look cheap. Pt metal connectors (required) have to be either
stainless steel (expensive) or galvanized with waterproof membrane joist tape
(expensive) between the connector and the Pt wood. The new pt wood destroys
galvanized metal. STUDY the idc chapter 507, decks from 2015 and 2018 before
rebuilding your deck. Also watch the videos from finehomebuilding and Simpson
strong tie. Buy a copy of Professional Deck Magazine. Btw, my old joists are
16" on center so I had to use 2X 6 not 5/4 deck boards. If you are installing
new joists 12" on center you can use 5/4 but it still will not be as strong or
long lasting as 2 x 6. MY estimated cost for cedar, metal hardware and deck
screws is 12,000. including 2 sets of stairs and stair railing. The estimate
from the deck company was 50, 000 to redo the entire1100 sq Ft deck with
stairs and railings. Do it slow and do it according to the new prescriptive
code and you will have a safe, beautiful, rot free deck for many years with
maintenance and cleaning. good luck

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...k-1159343-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2018 1:44 PM, karen wrote:
I am replacing a large 1980s rotted, not to new code, and termite ridden
deck.
At first I used Pt for everything because it is cheap. AFTER research in
deck
magazine, fine homebuilding, and Simpson strong tie, and noticing the
rot in
the old pt wood and not in the old redwood, I changed to cedar deck boards.
Cedar has to be sealed on all 6 sides before installation immediately. It
comes kiln dried and mine came with anchorseal on both ends. COMPOSITES Are
know to warp and look cheap. Pt metal connectors (required) have to be
either
stainless steel (expensive) or galvanized with waterproof membrane
joistÂ* tape
[...]

I recently went through this process here and chose Trex. They still
use pressure treated underlay and posts. Railings are PVC. I figured
Trex had the highest experience of all the composites and initial
problems have been fixed. My son's father in law recently replaced his
Azek deck with Trex because of warping.

My deck is far smaller than yours and total cost was less than your cost
of materials. I suspect the $50,000 is far too high and I would get
more bids. We got 4. I rejected the lowest bid because he was going to
skirt the county permit rules although it would have been code and I saw
a deck that he did for a friend and it looked good. County did raise my
taxes about $10 a year and inspector lied to me that they wouldn't.