Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal porch versus wood porch cover

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

It would be added on to the house.

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Comments on other areas welcome too.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 06:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

Check

It would be added on to the house.

Check

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

He can follow the local hurricane building codes, double that, and
hope for the best.

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Have good insurance or savings and replace it after the storm?

Point is, check the local codes for a better answer...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

Check

It would be added on to the house.

Check

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

He can follow the local hurricane building codes, double that, and

hope for the best.

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Have good insurance or savings and replace it after the storm?

Point is, check the local codes for a better answer...

Local codes don't give any information to my questions.

But thanks for answering.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

Check

It would be added on to the house.

Check

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

He can follow the local hurricane building codes, double that, and

hope for the best.

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Have good insurance or savings and replace it after the storm?

Point is, check the local codes for a better answer...

Local codes don't give any information to my questions.

But thanks for answering.

Andy

I did not see a specific question, but if you give some details about
the house construction, siding, size of the roof cover and such, folks
may have solutions for you.

On mine I wanted a match for stucco. Three columns, 22' beam, Spanish
type tile, stucco ceiling and columns, Simpson strong ties, stucco on
the house was cut back to the framing and the ledger board was lag
bolted in, flashing, etc., etc... Two of us built it, but I hired out
the stucco. After 8+ years there is not a single crack.

My neighbor has the Alumawood patio cover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

It would be added on to the house.

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Comments on other areas welcome too.

Wait a minute. You're contracting to do something you don't know how
to do? And asking here?
Talk to tradesmen who know about the engineering/construction methods.
Then decide whether you want to squeeze your customer for the most
money, or give him the best recommendation.
Canopies/awnings/small roofs made of metal/fiberglass/plastic
materials will always be lighter and easier to maintain.
Esthetics is another issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:57:43 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Wait a minute. You're contracting to do something you don't know how
to do? And asking here?

(I though the same thing earlier)

OP seems to think building codes are not informative.

For my patio cover, the drawing and measurements was on a piece of
yellow legal paper. The PERMIT office gave me all the information
needed to build it. CAD drawings for the column footers, calculations
based on the roofing material, bean size, etc. I also had a permit for
the electrical work - two fans and additional outdoor GFCI
receptacles.

"Contracting" in my state (NV) without a license is a felony. A home
owner can act as a contractor for their own home improvements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the questions.

My customer decided on wood.

The cover will go over a 10' X 20' slab.

I will use 6 x 6 treated lumber beams and the cover will be attached to the house which has vinyl siding.

Shingled roof.

He has a whole house generator that can be hooked up upon a power loss.

He once lost power for a week.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am working on 2 bids for a customer who would prefer a wood as opposed to a metal cover for the porch.

It would be added on to the house.

He is concerned about the strength issue because of living in a hurricane prone area. (20 miles from Galveston, Texas)

I am interested in your thoughts on construction technique especially if he goes with a metal roof.

Comments on other areas welcome too.

Wait a minute. You're contracting to do something you don't know how

to do? And asking here?

Talk to tradesmen who know about the engineering/construction methods.

Then decide whether you want to squeeze your customer for the most

money, or give him the best recommendation.

Canopies/awnings/small roofs made of metal/fiberglass/plastic

materials will always be lighter and easier to maintain.

Esthetics is another issue.

Concerning your belief that I don't know what I am doing.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

Take care.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Thanks for the questions.

Sorry. I never asked a question.

My customer decided on wood.

The cover will go over a 10' X 20' slab.

Now we are getting there. Same size as mine.

I will use 6 x 6 treated lumber beams and the cover will be attached to the house which has vinyl siding.

Do yourself a favor and attach the cover to the house AND not the
siding. I think you mean that.

I used a lam-beam (laminated wood) to span 22' (4" X10" X 22 ft.).
Ledger board on the house framing was a 2X 10.

Shingled roof.

That will change the roof pitch and be easier.

He has a whole house generator that can be hooked up upon a power loss.

Okay.

He once lost power for a week.

Okay.

What happens when a hurricane hits Galveston and rips the cover off
the house?

Did you check for permit requirements?

Follow the local building codes that you resist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
....Snip...

Thanks for the questions.

My customer decided on wood.

The cover will go over a 10' X 20' slab.

I will use 6 x 6 treated lumber beams and the cover will be attached to
the house which has vinyl siding.

Shingled roof.

He has a whole house generator that can be hooked up upon a power loss.

He once lost power for a week.

Andy

What does a generator have to do with what type of roof will be used for
the patio cover?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:34:48 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Andy

...Snip...

Thanks for the questions.

My customer decided on wood.

The cover will go over a 10' X 20' slab.

I will use 6 x 6 treated lumber beams and the cover will be attached to

the house which has vinyl siding.

Shingled roof.

He has a whole house generator that can be hooked up upon a power loss.

He once lost power for a week.

Andy

What does a generator have to do with what type of roof will be used for

the patio cover?

The generator may be hooked up for a week.

I thought that would be a consideration in the design of the cover.

Those things are very noisy and maybe a cover for it by itself with some sound insulation.

I have seen plans for adding a car muffler to a generator.

I heard that 3 8x8x10' would be sufficient for the 20 ft. run.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad had a Honda that was fairly quiet. The muffler
was half inch pipe thread, so he used galvanized pipe
to extend the muffler out about a foot, which helped
in that application. Still noisy enough.

I think a vented noise box is a good idea, with a
bathroom exhaust fan to pull cool air in the bottom.

Me, when the power is out I run my generator an hour
in the Am, and an hour before bedtime. No reason to
have it sucking gasoline all day.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/25/2013 7:51 PM, Andy wrote:
What does a generator have to do with what type of roof will be used for

the patio cover?

The generator may be hooked up for a week.
I thought that would be a consideration in the design of the cover.
Those things are very noisy and maybe a cover for it by itself with some sound insulation.
I have seen plans for adding a car muffler to a generator.
I heard that 3 8x8x10' would be sufficient for the 20 ft. run.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2013 6:51 PM, Andy wrote:

The generator may be hooked up for a week.

I thought that would be a consideration in the design of the cover.

Those things are very noisy and maybe a cover for it by itself with
some sound insulation.

I have seen plans for adding a car muffler to a generator.

I heard that 3 8x8x10' would be sufficient for the 20 ft. run.

Andy

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed
in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.
It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:33:56 PM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/25/2013 6:51 PM, Andy wrote:

The generator may be hooked up for a week.

I thought that would be a consideration in the design of the cover.

Those things are very noisy and maybe a cover for it by itself with

some sound insulation.

I have seen plans for adding a car muffler to a generator.

I heard that 3 8x8x10' would be sufficient for the 20 ft. run.

Andy

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed

in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.

It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler

shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler

which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down

to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

Thanks to both of you and the others for all the help and ideas.

My friend bought a whole gasoline generator.

It runs AC and the rest of the house.

I am not sure how it would do if the electric gas dryer was used as well.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:

My friend bought a whole gasoline generator.

That's good. Other's have tried a half gasoline generator and even a three
quarter gasoline generator. Those tend not to work out so well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/25/2013 6:51 PM, Andy wrote:

The generator may be hooked up for a week.

I thought that would be a consideration in the design of the cover.

Those things are very noisy and maybe a cover for it by itself with
some sound insulation.

I have seen plans for adding a car muffler to a generator.

I heard that 3 8x8x10' would be sufficient for the 20 ft. run.

Andy

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed
in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.
It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

Gas in basement ?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:33:56 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed
in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.
It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

It must be really annoying, when one has no electricty, to listen to
loud, annoying generator of someone who does have it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2013 11:24 PM, gregz wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/25/2013 6:51 PM, Andy wrote:

[...]

The genset ran on natural gas as did the fellow's furnace and water
heater which were also in the basement. Usually a "stationary" genset
installed in a home will be run on propane or natural gas. If the genset
is the size of a small car and the homeowner wealthy enough to
own a large enough house to need a really big generator, the genset
could be a diesel fueled unit. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most electric gas dryers only use a couple amps
for the motor and the controls.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/25/2013 11:02 PM, Andy wrote:

Thanks to both of you and the others for all the help and ideas.
My friend bought a whole gasoline generator.
It runs AC and the rest of the house.
I am not sure how it would do if the electric gas dryer was used as well.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

During one of the power cuts, someone decided to
leave his generator on all night. I wasn't all
that pleased. It was tempting to go do some thing
impolite to his generator.

I do my best to run only at reasonable hours.
Being considerate.

In the case of your customer, wasn't the generator
itself noisy? Would that be loud in the house?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed
in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.
It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Half gasoline generators are less able to
run electric gas dryers. Everyone nose that.
Me, well, I know my sniff.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/25/2013 11:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Andy wrote:

My friend bought a whole gasoline generator.

That's good. Other's have tried a half gasoline generator and even a three
quarter gasoline generator. Those tend not to work out so well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nitrogen, oxygen, and argon are the gasses
in the cellar.

The exhaust gasses went through the wall.
Knowing TDD as I do, I'd have to guess that
was exterior wall.

I heard a report one time, of a HO who did run
a generator in the cellar "left the cellar door
open to let the exhaust out". And killed himself
and his family with the monoxide.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/26/2013 12:24 AM, gregz wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed
in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.
It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

Gas in basement ?

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In today's entitlement society, there is also
the "crabs in a bucket" mentality. Doesn't matter
what we go through, as long as everyone is
miserable, together. Now days, no one cares if the
other person went to college, worked hard, and
spent endless hours working, saving, living frugal.
The people are cold and dark, and that other person
has generator, so the angry short sighted selfish
types who spent all their money on cable TV and
vacations have to go take care of the rich guy who
benefitted unfairly.

I have little respect for the "punish the successful"
mentality. Wish we could get back to the early days
of "respect the successful, learn from them, and work
hard so you can enjoy the success also."

I admit it, I'm a right winger. I work for a living,
and respect those who succeed. I also want that idiot
on the next street to shut off his generator at 9 PM
so the kids in the area can sleep.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/26/2013 2:55 AM, micky wrote:
shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler
which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down
to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

It must be really annoying, when one has no electricty, to listen to
loud, annoying generator of someone who does have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of people using the engine out of automobile
to power a larger PTO driven generator. Or, using a
farm tractor if they are farmers. Makes sense, to me.

One water district, I did some work for them. They have
diesel generator, and a big tank of fuel outside the pump
house. Makes sense, to me. Many hospitals, fire departments,
and other agencies have backup generator.

For me, when the power is out. I go into "hunker down and
wait it out" mode. I just keep reviewing all my blessings
of health and such, and try to stay busy helping friends.
I've pumped cellars, run others furnace, and lot of things
like that. I'm best when I'm busy doing things.

One couple friends, water in the cellar. They bought inverter
to try and power the sump. Hooked it to a couple wires inside
the truck. Would have been more likely to work if they used
the short cables (provided, for this reason) and hook directly
to the battery. They went to his brother's house, and got his
old Honda generator, which didn't start. I chatted with them
on the phone, and went over to help. The spray can of ether
I brought, started the generator. That helped pump out the
cellar. The carpet had gotten wet, so the teenage son cut it
with utility knife, and carried it out.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

The genset ran on natural gas as did the fellow's furnace and water
heater which were also in the basement. Usually a "stationary" genset
installed in a home will be run on propane or natural gas. If the genset
is the size of a small car and the homeowner wealthy enough to
own a large enough house to need a really big generator, the genset
could be a diesel fueled unit. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2013 7:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
During one of the power cuts, someone decided to
leave his generator on all night. I wasn't all
that pleased. It was tempting to go do some thing
impolite to his generator.

I do my best to run only at reasonable hours.
Being considerate.

In the case of your customer, wasn't the generator
itself noisy? Would that be loud in the house?

If I recall correctly, it was an Onan genset and even though it was air
cooled, the mechanical noise was fairly low. I installed and serviced a
lot of 4 cylinder air cooled 15-20kw Onan gensets and with the critical
grade muffler, the mechanical noise is at a very low level. If I was in
the market for a home generator, I'd look for a used 20kw Onan air
cooled NG genset, with proper maintenance they run forever. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 23, 2013 6:07:08 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Concerning your belief that I don't know what I am doing.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be referring to a patio roof as a "cover," and you wouldn't be asking for construction tips on this newsgroup.

You also wouldn't be spouting random BS about generators that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:10:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be referring to a patio roof as a "cover,"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=images%3A+patio+cover
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Friday, August 23, 2013 6:07:08 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Concerning your belief that I don't know what I am doing.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be referring to a patio roof as a "cover,"

Have you DAGS for Patio Covers recently?

and you wouldn't be asking for construction tips on this newsgroup.

Do you know what a.h.r stands for? With all of the OT stuff that ends up in
this newsgroup, an actual construction question is a welcome sight.

You also wouldn't be spouting random BS about generators that have
nothing to do with the subject at hand.

The OP does seem to toss random comments into his posts, but he did
eventually connect the generator's noise with a question as to whether or
not that might factor into the patio cover's construction. One could argue
that there are ways to build the cover that would "muffle" the noise from
the generator or perhaps something could be built around the generator as
part of the project - something which might impact the construction of the
cover itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 26, 2013 7:23:34 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
During one of the power cuts, someone decided to

leave his generator on all night. I wasn't all

that pleased. It was tempting to go do some thing

impolite to his generator.

I do my best to run only at reasonable hours.

Being considerate.

In the case of your customer, wasn't the generator

itself noisy? Would that be loud in the house?

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

I had a customer who owned a single cylinder stationary genset installed

in his basement with the exhaust going through the wall.

It was still quite noisy outside so I went to my pal who ran a muffler

shop and got him to make an extension pipe with a glasspack muffler

which added to the existing muffler brought the sound level way down

to a nonirritating tone. His neighbor's really appreciated it. ^_^

TDD

They are loud, but it beats the heat that we have in Texas.

I told him today to consider some kind of cover for the generator itself.

He would not want rain getting on it.

Putting in some fiberglass mats may help with sound reduction in addition to a muffler and/or glass pack.

It's about 8700 watts of output.

Andy

condensation on metal porch roof internaughtfull Home Repair 3 November 22nd 20 09:31 PM
What would you cover a porch ceiling with? [email protected] Home Repair 5 August 8th 07 12:03 AM
Porch swing wood Steve B Woodworking 5 November 17th 06 07:33 PM
Help - Affordable metal porch railing needed [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 5th 06 03:25 PM
Protecting on wood on porch? DesignGuy Home Repair 2 October 27th 04 10:38 PM