Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Bob O'Dell Bob O'Dell is offline

Default Porch deck material recommends

In article , says...

Replacing old entryway; adding covered porch (~7.5' X 18').

Other porches are just 3" T&G pine painted that has sorta' held up
excepting paint is difficult to keep on and they do tend to split/warp
some...

Builder suggested cedar; I wonder about being somewhat soft for main
trafficway...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'm not going Trex or the like; I do NOT
like that it gets so hot and limber in the sun and while has some cover
will have the sun until midday and it's definitely hot well before noon
in SW KS...

Are there any of the exotics being pushed as decking now that aren't
terribly dark in color? None that come to mind right now aren't...

Suggestions welcomed as well as experiences...

Personally I prefer Cypress as an alternative to more expensive cedar
and very similar in longevity, durability and insect resistance...I have
certainly used alot of it here in Florida, but supplies do seem to b
dwindling.