Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Track saw or spindle sander

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 22:07:38 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 14:33:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 4:57:25 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 13:38:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, April 27, 2019 at 1:18:28 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/26/2019 11:53 AM, wrote:
On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 9:37:21 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 4/25/2019 9:21 PM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 12:53:59 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
Let's say hypothetically you had $400 or so in Home Depot gift cards. Would you buy a Dewalt track saw or a Delta spindle sander?

Thanks.

I have a Honda mower too. Paid about $600 two or three years ago. Has the bigger 190cc engine. Self propelled. Not the commercial series. Has the steel deck. Starts on the first or second pull every time. Excellent mower. Only big complaints are it needs a bigger motor. I can easily kill the mower when the grass is tall. And I wish it mowed a wider swath. It would need a bigger engine.

Mine is the HR194. Honda has not made this size in years. It also has
the aluminum deck, 4 HP motor and cuts a 19" swath.
I wish 19" was still available. The 4 HP is plenty even in tall St.
Augustine/Carpet Grass. I have an average sized yard but lots of
obstacles and narrow paths that I need to turn around in.
My son has the OHC lawn mower that he inherited from my dad, IIRC the
HRX217HYA, it is about 12~13 years old. I used it a lot when I mowed my
dad's yard and I was never really impressed by the OHC engine, compared
to the OHV engine on mine.

I think officially I have the Honda HRX217VKA mower. And it only has a 21" deck! Now comes with a 200cc motor, but mine is 190cc. Guess even Honda has learned a little in the last couple years and put a bigger motor in their underpowered mower. And it has a plastic, nylon, polyester deck. Not steel like I thought. Its been 6 months since I last used it.

I think the only difference between the VKA and the HYK is that yours
has a different style engagement for the self propel. The HYK pretty
much has the same layout of controls, on the handle bar, as my mower.

We learned on the OHC engines to not let gas sit in it over the winter
period, it was particularity touchy with stagnant gas so we learned to
only run premium gas, use a gas stabilizer, and drain the tank at the
end of the cutting season. I do this too with my personal mower now.

With my 160cc OHC Honda I've been using regular gas with stabilizer and
starting it a couple times over the winter for what's gotta be 15 years now.

I did replace the carb a couple of years ago but that was when it started
acting up mid-summer, not at the beginning of mowing season.

I do the same thing with my snowblower. Every couple of months, when I'm
already making noise with the lawn mower, I pull it out of the garage and
let it run for 15-20 minutes. I drive it a bit and run the auger just to
keep everything loose.

There may be better ways, but it works for me so I'm not trying anything different. ;-)

A bit hard to do when you need to trade storage spots seasonally -

Not really, as long as the storage spot is accessible. I put the snow
blower/mower on a moving dolly to make it easy to finesse it in and
out of the back corner of the garage.

and unless you FULLY warm up the engine every time you start it you
are accumulating moisture in the oil - which is not good.

15 or so years on the mower, 9 - 10 on the snowblower. I must be doing
something right. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.

How often do you change the oil? Most people don't even CHECK it more
than once a year - if that.

Per the manual. I check the air in the snowblower tires too. It's an SOB
to maneuver when they are down a few pounds. Unfortunately, they never
*look* like they're down a few pounds, so you have to have check them
regularly. Maybe I should put TPMS sensors on the machine.

Tracks are an SOB any time and you can't air them up. When my stuff
is in off-season starage getting them out to run them is a
"production" The shed is 10X10 and it doesn't have any waste space -
racking pn 2 sides, bench on the third, and door in the 4th

Something I can't figure out is that the drive belt keeps popping off
my snowblower. It seems to do it the first time I starte it up in the
winter and then it's happy for the rest of the season. Then next fall
the belt's off again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Belt stiff from sitting ang belt guides not properly adjusted. On
MOST blowers if the belt guides are properly adjusted the belts cannot
come off without breaking
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Um huh, alcohol in regular gas is probably why you had to replace the
carb. I'm still on the the original carb 32 years later.

I had some gas get old on me about 7 years ago and the mower ran like
crap. That is when I switched to premium with less alcohol.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Have you ever cleaned the carb?

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I didn't *have* to replace the carb,
I probably could have just cleaned the old one. However, I can get a fully
set up carb for about $15. A few screws is all it takes to swap it out.
It not even worth taking the old one off just to clean it.

Even if the gas was the problem, replacing the carb every 10 years is
probably cheaper than 10 years worth of the premium gas upcharge. ;-) (No,
I haven't done the math, it's just a guess.)

I had some gas get old on me about 7 years ago and the mower ran like
crap. That is when I switched to premium with less alcohol.

As I mentioned earlier, the problem started mid-summer, so I don't think
my issue was old gas. I don't keep gas long enough for it to get old.
Lawnmower, snowblower or car, it gets used before it can get old. Bad gas?
Maybe. 10 years of buildup? Who knows.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Never ever. I drain the bowl at the end of the season. The mower has
never been to a repair shop. I think I have replaced the air filter 2~3
times and the spark plug 1~2 times. Annual oil changes.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I didn't *have* to replace the carb,
I probably could have just cleaned the old one. However, I can get a fully
set up carb for about $15. A few screws is all it takes to swap it out.
It not even worth taking the old one off just to clean it.

Use gas with little or no alcohol, drain the bowl, or shut off the gas
line and run the engine until the bowl empties. I use Brigs & Straton
fuel stabilizer when I buy gas.

Even if the gas was the problem, replacing the carb every 10 years is
probably cheaper than 10 years worth of the premium gas upcharge. ;-) (No,
I haven't done the math, it's just a guess.)

Well maybe. There is a lot to be said for never having to do anything
to the carb and the thing starting on the first pull. 3 pulls if the
carb was empty from the previous internalization.

I had some gas get old on me about 7 years ago and the mower ran like
crap. That is when I switched to premium with less alcohol.

As I mentioned earlier, the problem started mid-summer, so I don't think
my issue was old gas. I don't keep gas long enough for it to get old.
Lawnmower, snowblower or car, it gets used before it can get old. Bad gas?
Maybe. 10 years of buildup? Who knows.

In my case it was the previous years gas that I was still working on
from my gas can, and it was only regular gasoline.