Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New twist on old driver

On occasion I have wished I had a ratcheting screwdriver on hand. Heres a new offering:

https://www.thegrommet.com/rolgear-m...t-screwdriver#
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:40:33 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

On occasion I have wished I had a ratcheting screwdriver on hand. Here’s a new offering:

https://www.thegrommet.com/rolgear-m...t-screwdriver#

Same Canadian manufacturer, but slightly different ?
" bit driver " .. cheaper but bits not included.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Pag...=1,43411,43417

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message

On occasion I have wished I had a ratcheting screwdriver on hand. Heres a
new offering:

https://www.thegrommet.com/rolgear-m...t-screwdriver#

Funny you bring this up... I've been cleaning up a bunch of old tools that I
"inherited" from friends and co-workers. Amongst the tools are a couple
Yankee screw drivers... I always wanted one of those and a "real" Stanley
Yankee push drill (real as compared to the plastic handled imitation I had
in the 70s that failed). I picked up a push drill off eBay.... it arrived
today. I drilled a bunch of holes in pine, walnut and ash to try it out.
Joy! LOL

All my hand tools have tails or are meat powered. Adding these to my
collection makes it more complete....

I've had my electrolysis station running almost every day for weeks now.
It's nice to see the old Starrett, Stanley and Millers Falls tools come back
to life... It's like Christmas every day! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:17:49 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

[...]

You can put your Yankee screwdrivers to work more often -
using all the modern bits - with these adaptors :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...411,43417&ap=2

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 8:17:59 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message

On occasion I have wished I had a ratcheting screwdriver on hand. Heres a
new offering:

https://www.thegrommet.com/rolgear-m...t-screwdriver#

Funny you bring this up... I've been cleaning up a bunch of old tools that I
"inherited" from friends and co-workers. Amongst the tools are a couple
Yankee screw drivers... I always wanted one of those and a "real" Stanley
Yankee push drill (real as compared to the plastic handled imitation I had
in the 70s that failed). I picked up a push drill off eBay.... it arrived
today. I drilled a bunch of holes in pine, walnut and ash to try it out.
Joy! LOL

I remember "helping" my grandfather around his shop 5.x decades ago. I loved
playing with his Yankee screwdriver. He'd give me a board with holes in it
and I'd drive screws to keep out of trouble. I can still smell the old
bar of soap I used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

You can put your Yankee screwdrivers to work more often -
using all the modern bits - with these adaptors :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...411,43417&ap=2

I'd seen those... They would come in handy when I'm doing sign work on the
rail trails using coated deck screws with torx heads... I'll end up with one
sooner rather than later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 22:11:16 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

You can put your Yankee screwdrivers to work more often -
using all the modern bits - with these adaptors :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...411,43417&ap=2

I'd seen those... They would come in handy when I'm doing sign work on the
rail trails using coated deck screws with torx heads... I'll end up with one
sooner rather than later.

Here's our " local " rail trail

http://www.g2grailtrail.com/

We've only tried biking a couple small sections so far.

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On occasion I have wished I had a ratcheting screwdriver on hand. Here’s a new offering:

https://www.thegrommet.com/rolgear-m...t-screwdriver#

Same Canadian manufacturer, but slightly different ?
" bit driver " .. cheaper but bits not included.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Pag...=1,43411,43417

The Amazon reviews are mixed. People who like it really like it,
people who don't like it criticize the bit retention, both the in-use
bit (weak magnet) and the stored bits (loose fit so fall out). It
rolls. One person claims that his broke in two after falling off a
ladder, but he made the same complaint in several places, so he may be
a crank. Also the reviews say the bits seat very deeply so it needs
an adapter to use standard bits--otherwise they just vanish into the
handle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

Here's our " local " rail trail

http://www.g2grailtrail.com/

We've only tried biking a couple small sections so far.

I'm involved with building a county wide trail network that is connected to
the Empire State Trail in NY.... We've got 3 rail corridors, a number of
state bicycle routes, and Complete Streets segments all coming together in
my small city. If all goes well it will be completely built out by the time
I'm too old to continue doing my long distance bicycle trips (1,500-3,100+
miles!).