Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How To Cut Ledged Holes In Plywood - Router, Perhaps?

My son is building a beer pong/corn hole set. Basically this:

http://www.curvesatbethany.com/wp-co.../2015/08/1.png

The circular holes need a ledge to hold the inserts.

I'll begin by saying that he already bought 1/2" plywood and cut it to size *before* he
called me about cutting the ledged holes.

So here's what I'm going to suggest:

1 - Glue a piece of 1/4" tempered hardboard to the topside of the plywood.
2 - Use a circle cutting jig and an up-cut spiral bit to cut the circular holes through the now
3/4" panel. (He's planning on making a circle cutting jig for his router)
3 - Use a slot cutting bit, with the bearing riding on the plywood to create the ledge by cutting
away the hardboard top.

A quick look shows that Amana makes a slot cutter that will cut a 1/4 inch "slot" (in this case,
the ledge) to a depth of 3/8. I'm sure there are other slot cuttings bits that will work.

4 - Cut the insert disks from 1/4 hardboard.

Does that sound like a workable plan? Have I chosen the right router bits for the task?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 03:26:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Why a slot cutting bit? a simple square cornered end cutting router
bit will do the job. Set depth, adjust hole cutting tool (trammel) to
the right diameter, and cur the top relief FIRST, then with smaller
bit re-adjust trammel and cut out the hole.

I'm sure he already has the simple bits required.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I think a combination of these two would work best.
However, using Clare's suggestion, just make sure the hole for the
trammell's pivot pin goes all the way through the plywood being cut and
down into a work table supporting the plywood. When using a circle jig
to cut small discs, it's very easy for the router to wander at the end
of the cut, especially when there's nowhere for the cut-offs to escape.

I would be tempted to cut the small holes first. Then use a guide
bushing or rabbeting bit to cut the bigger hole. After all, it's
basically a circular rabbet.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2018 5:26 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I've never seen a cornhole / beerpong board but I've made a boatload of
cornhole sets. I like yours better.
Since I made so many and I had a steady trickling demand for them I made
a template for the hole so I could use a plunge style rabbetting bit in
my router. The template follows the outside of the router shoe (My
Porter - Cable has a round shoe profile) so I don't have the problem of
the trammel losing its center as the hole is cut. To follow the same
technique you'd have to make a ring, shimming the template to the
smaller deeper hole, then remove the ring to cut the larger hole.
Or, use 2 different rabbeting bits - one with a larger diameter. Or,
what if you used a beveled or a stepped bit? One pass and Bob's yer uncle.
I'm trying to think of another way. Nothing happened.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Isn't that basically what I said, except I said a slot cutting bit as opposed
to a rabetting bit? Wouldn't the end result be the same?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, more or less. For some reason I thought you were putting the 1/4"
on the bottom.
Either way. I just like using rabbeting bits for that. You can use
different bearings to adjust the width. But if the slot cutter works,
kudos.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Does that sound like a workable plan? Have I chosen the right router
bits for the task?

sounds like overthink

but if the plywood can only be used for this purpose and no other
than buy another piece that is the same thickness as the collar
and place that over the original with a hole big enough to
accommodate the collar

multi ply underlayment is good for this game board

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Does that sound like a workable plan? Have I chosen the right router
bits for the task?

sounds like overthink

but if the plywood can only be used for this purpose and no other
than buy another piece that is the same thickness as the collar
and place that over the original with a hole big enough to
accommodate the collar

Which basically what I suggested, except that my method ensures that the
larger hole is exactly centered over the smaller hole. If you are suggesting
cutting the larger hole *before* laminating the 2 pieces together, then
you are suggesting doubling the layout work and *hoping* that you get the
layout exactly right. I see no reason to even consider that method as a viable solution.

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 19:11:55 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Laminate the pieces. Cut the small hole. Use it as a built in template to
cut the large hole.

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Laminate the pieces. Cut the small hole. Use it as a built in template to

cut the large hole.

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

These all sound more complex then they need to be. Clamp two layers of
plywood together. Drill pilot holes through both layers at once - no
eliminates layout issues. Separate the two pieces and drill the right size
holes in each. Laminate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Laminate the pieces. Cut the small hole. Use it as a built in template to

cut the large hole.

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

These all sound more complex then they need to be. Clamp two layers of
plywood together. Drill pilot holes through both layers at once - no
eliminates layout issues. Separate the two pieces and drill the right size
holes in each. Laminate.

Do you have a 6" and a 6 1/2" hole saw that he can borrow?
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Laminate the pieces. Cut the small hole. Use it as a built in template

cut the large hole.

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

These all sound more complex then they need to be. Clamp two layers of
plywood together. Drill pilot holes through both layers at once - no
eliminates layout issues. Separate the two pieces and drill the right
size
holes in each. Laminate.

Do you have a 6" and a 6 1/2" hole saw that he can borrow?

Didn't know the size needed. But a fly cutter would work

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Laminate the pieces. Cut the small hole. Use it as a built in template to

cut the large hole.

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

These all sound more complex then they need to be. Clamp two layers of
plywood together. Drill pilot holes through both layers at once - no
eliminates layout issues. Separate the two pieces and drill the right size
holes in each. Laminate.

Do you have a 6" and a 6 1/2" hole saw that he can borrow?

Hey! I do and they cut cleanly with their diamond tips...........
through concrete.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. If so feel free to clarify.

diversity of thought is good

cut the hole for the collar in the top piece

line up both pieces
use collar upside down as template for hole in other piece

Laminate the pieces. Cut the small hole. Use it as a built in template to
cut the large hole.

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

These all sound more complex then they need to be. Clamp two layers of
plywood together. Drill pilot holes through both layers at once - no
eliminates layout issues. Separate the two pieces and drill the right size
holes in each. Laminate.

Do you have a 6" and a 6 1/2" hole saw that he can borrow?

Hey! I do and they cut cleanly with their diamond tips...........
through concrete.

If you made out of concrete board no worries about it getting wet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

My son lives in Vegas. There's not a lot of wet around there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Beer pong, alcohol is involved, a travesty might occur, spillling
beer!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

use a jigsaw

this a game board not a jewelry box

will it get intense scrutiny by the players

anyway by now it should be done and getting use

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

6 of one, 1/2 dz of the other. All depends on what bits you have
available.

use a jigsaw

this a game board not a jewelry box

Some people take pride in their work.

This game board isn't a jewelry box either. Maybe next time I'll just
drill some holes in a 2 x 4.

https://i.imgur.com/vooVWFE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ouehBqf.jpg

will it get intense scrutiny by the players

Why does that matter? Do you typically give gifts made with poor workmanship?

Pride

noun
1. a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own
achievements

anyway by now it should be done and getting use

Idiot