Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ledged and braced fire doors?

Subject says it all really.

I want to use ledged and braced doors on renovation project but a couple
of doors need to be fire doors (not yet confirmed with BCO).

Is there such a beast as a ledged and braced fire door?

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:
Subject says it all really.

I want to use ledged and braced doors on renovation project but a
couple of doors need to be fire doors (not yet confirmed with BCO).

Is there such a beast as a ledged and braced fire door?

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

No - their construction is such that they are not 'strong enough' to hold a
fire back for at least half an hour.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A fire door with a ledged and braced appearance could be made up by a
joiner to look similar to your other doors, but would be quite a bit
thicker than normal (& heavier) and would require intumescent seals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Brian G wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:
Is there such a beast as a ledged and braced fire door?

No - their construction is such that they are not 'strong enough' to
hold a fire back for at least half an hour.

But fire doors could be made to *look like* ledge and brace.

These people do ledge and brace doors, and fire doors. I don't know if
they can do L&B fire doors

http://www.wessexrestoration.co.uk/p...re-doors_4.htm

And these people say that they can make almost any style

http://www.fireandsecuritydoor.co.uk...FQZOMAodZz5IQQ

Price might be an objection to something custom made though.

Owain

Owain,

Yes, I agree that "fire doors could be made to *look like* ledge and brace"
but that was not the question.

You can take a standard, half-hour fire resistant door and 'face' it with
T&G boards suitably treated with a fire resistant coating such as Albi (a
rather naughty coating containing arsenic and a multitude of other
chemicals) and fit this into a rather hefty door frame (not lining) with
25x25mm planted and screwed door stops - just don't drop it on your toes
when fitting the beast! :-)

Brian G

I await the long monologues and 'shouting' from Chris telling me all about
Albi!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I agree that "fire doors could be made to *look like* ledge and brace"
but that was not the question.

You can take a standard, half-hour fire resistant door and 'face' it with
T&G boards suitably treated with a fire resistant coating such as Albi (a
rather naughty coating containing arsenic and a multitude of other
chemicals) and fit this into a rather hefty door frame (not lining) with
25x25mm planted and screwed door stops - just don't drop it on your toes
when fitting the beast! :-)

Brian G

I would be very careful when altering a fire door. Any DIY changes
could invalidate it's certification. Simple things like screws into
the door can transmit heat and fire into the structure of the door.
Fire doors are made to a specified design that's then tested. The
manufacturer supplies detailed fitting instructions that must be
adhered to in order to ensure the door performs as it should.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response. I'm well aware of the effects and personally I
wouldn't alter a fire door simply for aesthetic reasons, especially if it is
fully kitted out with the intumescent strips etc.

Fitted AND supervised the fitting of the damn things in several blocks of
multi-storey flats - all the internal flush after a fire in a room of one of
the flats blocked the escape route and caused the fire brigade a few
problems getting the tenants out.

It was quite annoying when I went into one of the flats to run a quality
control check on the doors etc to find that the tenant has disconnected the
concealed door closures on every door so they could be kept open at all
times.

After a heated discussion, I got the chippie to reconnect the hinges and
b****r me, when I did another surprise inspection, he'd entirely removed the
things - he got quite upset when the local authority threatened to evict him
if he did it again.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

much as I hate to do it Jeld-Wen make a L&B fire door look alike check
their web site just negotiate hard with which ever agent u use cos jeld
wen prices are steep.

Martin Carroll wrote:
Subject says it all really.

I want to use ledged and braced doors on renovation project but a couple
of doors need to be fire doors (not yet confirmed with BCO).

Is there such a beast as a ledged and braced fire door?

Cheers

Martin

making external framed and ledged doors internal! paulsandham Woodworking 0 September 5th 06 11:12 AM
Fire doors [email protected] UK diy 5 August 30th 06 03:44 PM
Fire Doors SidKnee UK diy 24 April 14th 05 12:44 AM
making external framed and ledged doors internal! paulsandham Woodworking 1 October 27th 04 07:35 PM