paulsandham

Default making external framed and ledged doors internal!

like a fool i saw and bought 8 standard sized external framed and
ledged doors to put in my about to be completed home. I have been
told since that i will not be able to fit them into the already
fitted standard internal door frames (even though they are the right
size 6' 6" 1981mm by 2' 9" 838mm) are the doommongers correct or is
there a way round this?

:?

Frank McVey

There are a couple of points to consider, Paul. Normally external doors
are, for obvious reasons, thicker than internal doors. Typically, 45mm vs
35mm. The rebate in a normal internal door frame is usually around the
38-40mm mark, so your doors may be too thick to fit flush in the hole. If
the door stops (that part of the jamb and head which actually stops the door
swinging right through) are "planted" ie simply nailed onto the jamb to form
the rebate, then you may be able to pry them off and reduce them by 10mm in
width and refit them.

If, however, as is usual, the door stops/rebates are actually machined
from the solid jamb, then you are faced with the problem of trying to
machine off another 10mm to fully house the door, a tricky job with the jamb
in situ. You could shift most of it with a router, but you'd still be left
with handsawing, chiselling/side-rebate planing the upper and lower corners
where the router can't reach.

You could remove the architrave, remove and disassemble the door frame -
t'ain't that hard - and do the routing much more conveniently, then refit
the door frame and architrave. You'd probably have a fair bit of making
good plaster and paintwork afterwards.

The other point is that ledged and braced doors are normally fitted with
long strap or tee hinges, which may be a bit wide for a standard internal
jamb with the architrave in the way. However, if you have your terminology
correct and your doors are framed, ledged and, perhaps, braced, then you
should be able to use standard butts as usual.

The rebate is your main snag. If you can overcome that, then all should be
well.

If you're anywhere near Rutland, my fees are extremely reasonable....

Best of luck,

Frank

"paulsandham" wrote
in message ...
like a fool i saw and bought 8 standard sized external framed and
ledged doors to put in my about to be completed home. I have been
told since that i will not be able to fit them into the already
fitted standard internal door frames (even though they are the right
size 6' 6" 1981mm by 2' 9" 838mm) are the doommongers correct or is
there a way round this?

:?

---