Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default How To Cut Ledged Holes In Plywood - Router, Perhaps?

On 4/26/18 5:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 11:32:43 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/26/18 8:39 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 03:26:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My son is building a beer pong/corn hole set. Basically this:

http://www.curvesatbethany.com/wp-co.../2015/08/1.png

The circular holes need a ledge to hold the inserts.

I'll begin by saying that he already bought 1/2" plywood and
cut it to size *before* he called me about cutting the ledged
holes.

So here's what I'm going to suggest:

1 - Glue a piece of 1/4" tempered hardboard to the topside of
the plywood. 2 - Use a circle cutting jig and an up-cut spiral
bit to cut the circular holes through the now 3/4" panel. (He's
planning on making a circle cutting jig for his router) 3 - Use
a slot cutting bit, with the bearing riding on the plywood to
create the ledge by cutting away the hardboard top.

A quick look shows that Amana makes a slot cutter that will cut
a 1/4 inch "slot" (in this case, the ledge) to a depth of 3/8.
I'm sure there are other slot cuttings bits that will work.

4 - Cut the insert disks from 1/4 hardboard.

Does that sound like a workable plan? Have I chosen the right
router bits for the task?

Why a slot cutting bit? a simple square cornered end cutting
router bit will do the job. Set depth, adjust hole cutting tool
(trammel) to the right diameter, and cur the top relief FIRST,
then with smaller bit re-adjust trammel and cut out the hole.

I'm sure he already has the simple bits required.

I think a combination of these two would work best. However, using
Clare's suggestion, just make sure the hole for the trammell's
pivot pin goes all the way through the plywood being cut and down
into a work table supporting the plywood. When using a circle jig
to cut small discs, it's very easy for the router to wander at the
end of the cut, especially when there's nowhere for the cut-offs to
escape.

I would be tempted to cut the small holes first. Then use a guide
bushing or rabbeting bit to cut the bigger hole. After all, it's
basically a circular rabbet.

Isn't that basically what I said, except I said a slot cutting bit as
opposed to a rabetting bit? Wouldn't the end result be the same?

Yeah, more or less. For some reason I thought you were putting the 1/4"
on the bottom.
Either way. I just like using rabbeting bits for that. You can use
different bearings to adjust the width. But if the slot cutter works,
kudos.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)